Marisawright

Why aren't raincoats showerproof any more?

5 minutes ago, newjez said:

North Face is what I aim for. Their walking boots are pretty damn good too.

But there are several brands as good as north face, and if they are on sale, then they are hard to refuse.

Best and known as the best by almost all the major experts and me  is  the North Face Apex Flex GTX 2 I have tried many but nothing comes close.

• Haha 1

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

The really interesting thing about walking boots is that most high end brands will guarantee their boots for two years.

Now, I wear walking boots all the time. Everyday, all year. I walk alot. 20 miles a week is not unusual. I've never managed to get a pair of walking boots to last two years.

My last three pairs of walking boots have been free. It's worth paying the money for quality. Or not as the case may be.

My current pair are merrells, and they do look like they may go the distance. Although the grip isn't fantastic.

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

2 minutes ago, newjez said:

The really interesting thing about walking boots is that most high end brands will guarantee their boots for two years.

Now, I wear walking boots all the time. Everyday, all year. I walk alot. 20 miles a week is not unusual. I've never managed to get a pair of walking boots to last two years.

My last three pairs of walking boots have been free. It's worth paying the money for quality. Or not as the case may be.

My current pair are merrells, and they do look like they may go the distance. Although the grip isn't fantastic.

I loved Brasher that were made in the UK years ago,now they are made abroad are are rubbish, got a pair of Scarpa that are performing well.

3 hours ago, newjez said:

I also do a LOT of walking.  The first pair of Merrells didn't last long at all but daft me went and bought another pair of Merrells   ....................  again didn't last the year.  Not cheap here either.

Look at decathlon for walking boots.  I had some in UK and walked a lot (often in slippy mud). They were really good and lasted well, I passed them on to my sister when I moved over after 5 years.  She doesn’t hike often but still uses them when forced! (Outdoors is a G and T on the lawn for her)

I do miss the right to roam...............

Edited by rammygirl
  • Like 1

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

3 hours ago, Toots said:

I also do a LOT of walking.  The first pair of Merrells didn't last long at all but daft me went and bought another pair of Merrells   ....................  again didn't last the year.  Not cheap here either.

I think merrells have a two year warranty. If you have proof of purchase, check if you can get your money back.

2 hours ago, rammygirl said:

Look at decathlon for walking boots.  I had some in UK and walked a lot (often in slippy mud). They were really good and lasted well, I passed them on to my sister when I moved over after 5 years.  She doesn’t hike often but still uses them when forced! (Outdoors is a G and T on the lawn for her)

I do miss the right to roam...............

You can walk in Australia ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, newjez said:

I think merrells have a two year warranty. If you have proof of purchase, check if you can get your money back.

It will be a couple of years since I threw them out.  Never even thought of a warranty.   I did a lot of walking in rough damp areas and they weren't really very waterproof and toward the end the uppers slowly came away from the sole around the toe area.  

1 hour ago, newjez said:

You can walk in Australia ...

Yes but there are trails, usually linear and lanes.  There are no footpaths through farms and land as in UK.  That used to give me lots of circular options from my front door.  Here I have loads of countryside I can’t walk through. I can drive to a large reserve or coast, which I do but I like to just walk from home everyday and there is less choice, even though I am surrounded by fields I am limited to roads and Lanes around them. 

3 hours ago, rammygirl said:

Yes but there are trails, usually linear and lanes.  There are no footpaths through farms and land as in UK.  That used to give me lots of circular options from my front door.  Here I have loads of countryside I can’t walk through. I can drive to a large reserve or coast, which I do but I like to just walk from home everyday and there is less choice, even though I am surrounded by fields I am limited to roads and Lanes around them. 

The public right of way system in the UK is pretty brilliant I have to say.

There are some quite nice walks in the national parks around Perth. I assume other cities are similar, although it may be a drive to get there.

12 hours ago, newjez said:

The public right of way system in the UK is pretty brilliant I have to say.

There are some quite nice walks in the national parks around Perth. I assume other cities are similar, although it may be a drive to get there.

Would you be happy for people to come onto your property and walk around without permission?

i would not

I want it all, and I want it now.

36 minutes ago, Parley said:

Would you be happy for people to come onto your property and walk around without permission?

i would not

They don’t though. They have permission if it is a designated path and right if way.  It is not as if you can just wander around peoples property Willy nilly, that would be trespass. 

3 hours ago, Parley said:

i would not

You shouldn't have bought the property then. Rights of way are well documented and have been there hundreds of years. They are really no different from easements.

5 hours ago, Parley said:

i would not

I have walkers and mountain bikers (and sometimes horse riders)  use my driveway every day to move between the road and a bushland track.  It's been that way for 30 years and we've never had any problem.  It's much safer for them  this way than the alternative which is a very steep embankment.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Parley said:

i would not

If I had the land and there was a public right of way through it then yes, the land belongs to the people.