Marisawright

Why aren't raincoats showerproof any more?

I've been shopping for a warm winter jacket - anorak, parka, puffer jacket or whatever you want to call it.  I'm astonished at the number of jackets that make NO mention of being showerproof or even shower resistant.  What's the point of a winter jacket that won't keep out the rain?    Out of curiosity, I went and checked the trench coats and rain coats, and none of them claimed to be showerproof either.

I'm wondering if they are showerproof but they're just not game to say so, for fear or being sued if the wearer gets wet?  

I'm in Australia - is it the same in the UK?

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

I think even the showerproof ones loose the waterproofing when washed or cleaned. The Uniqlo down coat I have is pretty good.  It is wind proof and showerproof. Doesn’t say on the label but I think on the website it says (no store in SA).  Shrugs off the rain and VERY cosy.  It is the seamless down version.  Highly recommended. 

I also have a Godske Sport raincoat that is totally waterproof with sealed seams but doesn’t look sporty or like a hiking jacket. I bought in in UK not seen them here though. 

Check out Uniqlo for sure, there is at least one in Melbourne. 

• Like 1

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

35 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I've been shopping for a warm winter jacket - anorak, parka, puffer jacket or whatever you want to call it.  I'm astonished at the number of jackets that make NO mention of being showerproof or even shower resistant.  What's the point of a winter jacket that won't keep out the rain?    Out of curiosity, I went and checked the trench coats and rain coats, and none of them claimed to be showerproof either.

I'm wondering if they are showerproof but they're just not game to say so, for fear or being sued if the wearer gets wet?  

UK jackets have a waterproofing code

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.berghaus.com/waterproof-jackets/waterproofing-explained.html&ved=2ahUKEwi59pHXj-jiAhU7VBUIHWGjA0kQFjAAegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw2UfVhWWxRBBPhw_2yqU9oQ&cshid=1560486186640

My last jacket was mountain warehouse. It was 10000 mm. It was completely waterproof, although it is many years old now, it still keeps me dry, but it does get wet.

My salamon boots were also completely waterproof.

I do a lot of walking and it's important to stay dry. You also need your clothes to be breathable, or else you will get soaked with sweat. Go for a quality brand. If you want fashion, buy an umbrella.

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

I bought this one online and it's really good.  Warm and keeps the rain out - which I really need here.  The last good raincoat I bought was when I was back in Scotland when I was back 4 years ago and it's still in good nick.

https://rainbirdclothing.com.au/product/europa-womens-parka/

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Toots said:

I bought this one online and it's really good.  Warm and keeps the rain out - which I really need here.  The last good raincoat I bought was when I was back in Scotland when I was back 4 years ago and it's still in good nick.

https://rainbirdclothing.com.au/product/europa-womens-parka/

Not cheap but looks good quality. 5000mm is pretty good for most things.

I aim for about £50 when buying a jacket, and usually get them in a sale.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rammygirl said:

I think even the showerproof ones loose the waterproofing when washed or cleaned. The Uniqlo down coat I have is pretty good.  It is wind proof and showerproof. Doesn’t say on the label but I think on the website it says (no store in SA).  Shrugs off the rain and VERY cosy.  It is the seamless down version.  Highly recommended. 

I also have a Godske Sport raincoat that is totally waterproof with sealed seams but doesn’t look sporty or like a hiking jacket. I bought in in UK not seen them here though. 

Check out Uniqlo for sure, there is at least one in Melbourne. 

Thanks, I saw the Uniqlo ones but I'm highly allergic to feathers and down (I've been hospitalised in the past after sleeping in a room where down pillows were present, even though I wasn't sleeping on them).

I've got a totally waterproof rain jacket but it's got no insulation.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Confused 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

5 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Thanks, I saw the Uniqlo ones but I'm highly allergic to feathers and down (I've been hospitalised in the past after sleeping in a room where down pillows were present, even though I wasn't sleeping on them).

I just layer.

A good fleece under a waterproof jacket will keep you toasty, plus you can wear the waterproof when it rains but isn't that cold.

• Like 1

I’m a big fan of drizabone. Www.drizabone.com.au

• Like 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

12 minutes ago, newjez said:

I just layer.

A good fleece under a waterproof jacket will keep you toasty, plus you can wear the waterproof when it rains but isn't that cold.

That works for me if I was doing some serious country walking, but I want something that's warm and dry BUT not too bulky or restrictive when I'm going shopping (I don't have a car) or for a casual walk.   

The reason I'm looking for a new one is that my trusty Columbia jacket has given up the ghost after about ten years.  I went and looked at their range and there's nothing under $500 that comes close to my old one.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

As newjez said a fleece or a good old fashioned wool jumper will do the trick under your rain jacket.

21 minutes ago, Toots said:

As newjez said a fleece or a good old fashioned wool jumper will do the trick under your rain jacket.

I suppose I've been spoiled by my old jacket which had warmth but no weight, and kept my dry too.   I've been known to wear a t-shirt under it (to go to the gym)  and still be warm enough - and then I don't have to drag a jumper over my head and mess up my hair!    Also, by the time you have two layers on, it's feeling bulky.

I get mine shipped over from the uk these days though of course they are made in China. They must have higher specs in UK than Australia because they seem to be waterproof.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

I get mine shipped over from the uk these days though of course they are made in China. They must have higher specs in UK than Australia because they seem to be waterproof.

I think you’re right, the reality is that if there are no standards, manufacturers are likely to take advantage 

Drizabone are made in Australia.

I want it all, and I want it now.

4 hours ago, Parley said:

I’m a big fan of drizabone. Www.drizabone.com.au

Big seller in the U.K.  As worn by Prince Charles, President Bush, etc.  

Two suggestions. 

The first, based on my career working outdoors in all sorts of climates is North Face. Go for a gortex shell with zip out fleece. That way, you have a lightweight breathable for when it is warm, but wet. It will be 100% waterproof. Or, if cold and wet, add the fleece. Or if just a chill, such as a autumn evening then just the fleece. 

The second, is a more classical. Barbour. They are expensive. But last forever. Are 100% waterproof and given are designed with Scottish game keepers in mind, will certainly take what weather you are likely to face. Very British classical and most pictures of The Queen when at Balmoral will show her in one. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A lot of the waterproofing chemicals were banned so the cheaper waterproofm breathable coats have vanished, or you're stuck with an Aldi special that is waterproof but also sweats you to death. 

You can still buy Scotchguard and spray it on your own coat if you want, or pay top whack for the best brands.

"Nationalism is an infantile disease, it is the measles of mankind." Albert Einstein

•  

41 minutes ago, Slean Wolfhead said:

A lot of the waterproofing chemicals were banned so the cheaper waterproofm breathable coats have vanished, or you're stuck with an Aldi special that is waterproof but also sweats you to death. 

Ah, that would explain it.   There are nice jackets around but they are very pricey.

4 minutes ago, Toots said:

Wish I had seen this one before I bought my Rainbird jacket.

I'm going to visit one of their shops when I'm in the UK in August although buying online has been fine. I've recently bought a down jacket and snow boots for our white Christmas trip. 😀

Edited by Drumbeat
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Drumbeat said:

I'm going to visit one of their shops when I'm in the UK in August although buying online has been fine. I've recently bought a down jacket and snow boots for our white Christmas trip. 😀

Mountain warehouse are pretty good. Decathlon are also good. Both have an online and a physical presence.

• Like 1

North Face jackets are 100% waterproof

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

18 minutes ago, Perthbum said:

North Face jackets are 100% waterproof

North Face is what I aim for. Their walking boots are pretty damn good too.

But there are several brands as good as north face, and if they are on sale, then they are hard to refuse.