and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

kmrg

Dual citizenship new born baby - Australian passport application

Posted (edited)

Hi all,

I have recently had a baby, who will be an Australian citizen as born in Australia to myself and my husband who are permanent residents. 

We will be travelling to the UK in September and I am about to apply for UK and Australian passports for him. The UK passport application looks fairly straightforward and allows the baby to have their eyes closed in the photograph which is great!

However the Australian passport application appears a bit more complicated and I was wondering if their is anyone who has recently been through this process who could offer advice? My understanding is that in order to prove the baby's citizenship, I will need to apply for an Australian citizenship certificate before applying for the Australian passport? This is due to the fact that we are not Australian citizens ourselves. 

The application for the Australian Citizenship certificate requires form 1195 to be completed and identity confirmed through a photograph of the baby signed  by someone who has known him for 12 months (or I presume from birth) However there is a list of people who can confirm the identity and I do not know anyone in Australia who has one of these occupations eg teacher, psychologist, justice of peace. I presume I can't just go to a Justice of the Peace and get them to sign the form and photo as they don't know me?

Not sure what to do and I know if we just travel with UK passport for baby that this will cause problems when returning to Australia.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by kmrg
spelling

You apply for evidence of citizenship which you will need for the Aus passport. You can use a doctor or anyone from the list who can verify. They don’t need to be friends or even know you in any capacity other than professional. 

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

Thanks for your repky.

Ok so does that mean on the form the justice of the peace writes they have known the applicant for 0 months?