You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

megan987

How long do you have to move to Aus?

I know once your temp Visa has been granted you get 1 year from the date of your police check to activate your Visa, what I want to know is how long do you have to permanently move to Aus once your Visa is activated? For example, if we fly to Aus for a short trip to activate the Visa then fly home to the UK - how long do you have to actually move over? Thanks to anyone who can help! 

Once your visa is activated then you have 5 years to make the permanent move. The 5 years is counted from the date the visa was granted, not the date it was activated.

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Which temporary visa is it?  If for example it's a 2 year visa, then it will no longer become valid at a certain date.

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

It will depend on the visa. Some temp work visas require you to take up the position within a certain time.  489 visas require residence to move on to a PR visa, so if you rock up too late you won’t have time to qualify. 

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

Oops sorry, disregard my answer. I missed that word “temporary”

• Like 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

From your posting history, you've applied for the 309/100 visa.  If you've been granted the 309 visa only, then two years after you submitted the application, you will need to provide updated evidence of your relationship so that they can review for the 100 visa.  As part of this, they generally assess your intention to live in Australia so if you haven't moved yet, you may need to address this in the documents you submit.  I've heard of people applying for the onshore partner visa moving overseas and being asked specifically about their intention to return to Australia when they were looking at the permanent stage documentation.

• Like 1

186 ENS Temporary Residence Transition - Granted Dec 2013 :biggrin: