143 and skilled Visa question

Uk2oz

Hi all we are waiting for 1 document to be signed by a JP and then our 143 Visa will be lodged .

I know that the waiting time is now VERY long!

I am looking at college courses as I want to gain a qualification. 

So my question is......

If I were to get fully qualified in a particular field and it were on the mltssl list,would I be able to apply for a skilled Visa whilst already having the 143 Visa in place? I was just thinking that me going to college anyway it might be another added option or is it not possible to apply for another Visa whist already having one lodged?

Any answers greatly appreciated  :)

Getting a qualification won’t make you eligible for a skilled visa as you need post-qualification experience too. Also the age cutoff for a skilled visa is 45 so you’d need to look at whether you could complete both the course and the experience before that age

Edited by Marisawright

Hi many thanks for your reply .I am 38 and do have lots of experience in certain fields but no qualifications. I can do an apprenticeship and get on the job training which would add to my experience although it would not be post experience. I still have 7 years up to now so I will have to see what happens

5 hours ago, Uk2oz said:

Yes we meet all requirements for the 143 and we are using a mara agent

You are best to ask them then. People on here are very helpful and will try and help but a Mara agent will know far more and it will be correct. 

I'm not sure that your idea will get you to Australia much quicker than the 143, to be honest.

In most cases, work experience before you get your qualification doesn't count for anything, so you'll need to start from scratch.   Seven years may seem like a long time, but by the time you've done a two-year course and three years experience (which is often what's required), it'll disappear faster than you think.  And a skilled visa takes about a year to process.

There's always the risk that the occupation won't be on the list by the time you qualify, too, so your efforts will be wasted.  So make sure it's something you will find useful if you find that you're stuck in the UK 

Edited by Marisawright

Will also just add, that even as things stand today, just getting the minimum level of qualification and experience probably wouldn't be enough to get an invite for a 189. You would struggle with that to get much more than the minimum 65 points. But, nobody is getting invited on that. At present, it is 80 points, that is like,y to decrease next month, but not down to 65.