Migrant Luggage Airlines

3 hours ago, LouDYorkie said:

Emirates used to if you opened a bank account with ANZ. We did that and got something like 15 kilos extra luggage each, well worth it.
Not sure if they still do a similar deal, can’t find a link.
Qantas are doing similar though so 45kgs per adult in Economy!
https://www.qantas.com/travel/airlines/uk-migrant-fares/gb/en

Thank you for your reply. Did you have to pay anything to open an account with ANZ? and are they a good bank to choose

Edited by Lucy Colenutt

3 hours ago, LouDYorkie said:

Emirates used to if you opened a bank account with ANZ. We did that and got something like 15 kilos extra luggage each, well worth it.
Not sure if they still do a similar deal, can’t find a link.
Qantas are doing similar though so 45kgs per adult in Economy!
https://www.qantas.com/travel/airlines/uk-migrant-fares/gb/en

4 hours ago, ali said:

Singapore used to but only if your visa was PR and it hadn't been validated.  Some airlines offer 25kg as standard 

Drop them a line so you have confirmation

Thanks, I just emailed them and got this response if it helps anyone else.

Please be informed that if you hold an unused/unstamped/not validated migrant visa that specifically states that you are permitted to remain in Australia indefinitely / permanently for flights departing from London/Manchester you will then be entitled to our migrant baggage allowance (i.e. 40 kilos per seat paying passenger).

This baggage allowance will only be granted when you check in at the airport when this visa is sighted and checked that it has also not been travelled on before, this has to be the first time it is being used.

You can have as many items of checked luggage as you wish provided:

•       The total combined weight of all the items put together does not exceed your total checked allowances

•       No single item of baggage exceeds 32 kilos in weight, as a health and safety requirement

3 hours ago, Lucy Colenutt said:

Thanks, I just emailed them and got this response if it helps anyone else.

Please be informed that if you hold an unused/unstamped/not validated migrant visa that specifically states that you are permitted to remain in Australia indefinitely / permanently for flights departing from London/Manchester you will then be entitled to our migrant baggage allowance (i.e. 40 kilos per seat paying passenger).

This baggage allowance will only be granted when you check in at the airport when this visa is sighted and checked that it has also not been travelled on before, this has to be the first time it is being used.

You can have as many items of checked luggage as you wish provided:

•       The total combined weight of all the items put together does not exceed your total checked allowances

•       No single item of baggage exceeds 32 kilos in weight, as a health and safety requirement

Hi Lucy - which airline did you email that gave you this response? I am hoping it is Singapore as they seem to do the cheapest one way flights London to Perth 🙂

1 hour ago, PerthLondonGirl89 said:

Hi Lucy - which airline did you email that gave you this response? I am hoping it is Singapore as they seem to do the cheapest one way flights London to Perth 🙂

Yes it’s singapore :) I’ve always emailed Malaysian airlines as that’s the cheapest to Sydney for me but they haven’t responded yet 

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your reply. Did you have to pay anything to open an account with ANZ? and are they a good bank to choose

We didn’t have to pay to open an account although after 12 months we had to pay a$5 per month account fee on that particular account. There are some without that fee though.
We opened an account with ANZ as it is one of the ‘big 4 banks’ then after settling looked at whether it was the right one for us based on what we needed from a bank like which ATM’s we could use without being charged, any account fees that applied etc.
The process was easy, we opened the account online from the U.K. and just validated it with our ID when we arrived in Brisbane.
  • Like 1