The Shires VS The Hills

Janey V

Hello all

We have been looking and looking and getting very confused! Can anyone give advice on which area is better? As we don't have jobs I have budgeting 750 max rent but once we both have jobs that can go up! Kellyville, beaumount hills, castle hill in the hills or engagine, kirrawee,cornulla in the shires. We have looked at Newcastle but would prefer Sydney! The main thing is to be able to have a back garden for the kids and good schools etc and work of course. Thanks in advance 

• 2 weeks later...

The Shire for sure. We lived in Woronora Heights (next suburb over to Engadine), and were very happy there for the most part. Kirrawee I would probably avoid (very busy with traffic), and Cronulla you might find a bit out of reach on your budget, but Engadine and around that area (Loftus, Heathcote, Woronora Heights) are all lovely. There is a sticky post that I wrote aboiut Sutherland Shire at the top of the NSW page.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions - I've been back in the UK for a couple of years, but I still know quite a bit about the Sutherland Shire area.

• 1 month later...

As someone with no bias (or prejudice) towards either part of Sydney, but very much prejudiced against long commutes, I would say, see where you are going to be working and then pick the area with the shortest commute, including both road and public transport. I just Googled "Woronora to Sydney" and "Castle Hill to Sydney" and they are about the same 45 mins and 33.6 km and 43 mins and 30.7 km, driving in both cases.  By public transport it's not so equal however, 1 hr 23 mins v 48 mins but that not comparing "like with like" as Woronora has no station so it's bus to Sutherland to and then train to Sydney which is 43 minutes. A couple of weeks ago there was no train from Castle Hill so I guess that would mean bus to Sydney or Parramatta?

So, if you are working on the south side of Sydney harbour, go for The Shire, and north of the harbour, The Hills. I know it's not that simple!

I was talking on another post about where my brother lives - Spring Farm near Camden - a long way out south west of Sydney but if you were working out that way - Campbelltown say, you'd get a lovely new home and there's been lots of new investment in infrastructure out there,

• Like 1

• 1 month later...