You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

31 minutes ago, ssiri said:

I haven’t had the pleasure of reading the Sun but I have seen this quality exhibited by some readers of the DM and even some who may read the Guardian (both paper’s cover to cover).

Never know, but as a centrist I guess I’m indoctrinated by the middle left and the middle right!

I remember watching Dave gorman review papers, and he would always find another way of looking at what was said. I think that's all you can do. We are so indoctrinated, you have to question everything. I have serious doubts we are being told the truth about Iran. Horrible country that it is, I think a lot of this blame must fall on trump and Boris Johnson's failures.

• Like 1

When I was at school in the 6th form, many many moons ago, we were taught to analyse and criticize everything we read and to say what could be regarded as opinion, value judgements and what was broadly ( very, sometimes) 'fact'. Don't they do this anymore in schools?  Makes you wonder.  This was a British grammar school and it was pretty standard educational stuff.  Probably one of the best series of lessons I ever had.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, newjez said:

I wonder whether bigotry and racism is actually on the rise or whether previously suppressed bigotry and racism is being expressed more openly, encouraged by an online, media-driven and even political acquiescence.

The political bell curve has been steadily moving to the right for some time and in many countries a tipping point is being reached where extreme nationalism, bigotry, paranoia and xenophobia is more acceptable to the average person than it was even a decade ago.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

13 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

When I was at school in the 6th form, many many moons ago, we were taught to analyse and criticize everything we read and to say what could be regarded as opinion, value judgements and what was broadly ( very, sometimes) 'fact'. Don't they do this anymore in schools?  Makes you wonder.  This was a British grammar school and it was pretty standard educational stuff.  Probably one of the best series of lessons I ever had.

People are increasingly existing in echo chambers nowadays.  In the past people were always heavily influenced by the newspapers they read but internet algorithms increasingly limits your content to that which reflects your existing world view and shares that almost exclusively with like-minded people.  And all of this in an anonymised blogosphere encouraging ever more extreme comment and opinion constantly exposing one to positive reinforcement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

6 hours ago, newjez said:

You think the recent rise in the number of attacks on homosexuals is a trivial thing then?

Absolutely, and then all the homophobes and Islamaphobes and racists throw their hands up in denial when it is pointed out that those attitudes have historical currency. 

2 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

I wonder whether bigotry and racism is actually on the rise or whether previously suppressed bigotry and racism is being expressed more openly, encouraged by an online, media-driven and even political acquiescence.

The political bell curve has been steadily moving to the right for some time and in many countries a tipping point is being reached where extreme nationalism, bigotry, paranoia and xenophobia is more acceptable to the average person than it was even a decade ago.

Not just acquiescence, but in some cases subliminal messaging that it is perfectly acceptable, and in Lennon's case actively whipping up mob hysteria.

2 hours ago, starlight7 said:

Sounds like a valuable lesson, others would benefit too.

7 hours ago, Parley said:

One incident on a London bus is not a rise.

• Like 1

I remember watching Dave gorman review papers, and he would always find another way of looking at what was said. I think that's all you can do. We are so indoctrinated, you have to question everything. I have serious doubts we are being told the truth about Iran. Horrible country that it is, I think a lot of this blame must fall on trump and Boris Johnson's failures.

Yep. Playing Devils advocate or the ‘shoe is on the other foot’, is one way to get as close to a 360 vantage point on a topic or point of view as possible.

I believe the extreme right and the extreme left are both very dangerous standpoints and both can lead to violence and hatred. Indeed, I have seen both ends of the spectrum at different times and there is not much to choose between them- they , strangely enough, have a lot in common.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, starlight7 said:

I believe the extreme right and the extreme left are both very dangerous standpoints and both can lead to violence and hatred. Indeed, I have seen both ends of the spectrum at different times and there is not much to choose between them- they , strangely enough, have a lot in common.

People tend to move from one to the other, bypassing the middle.

Eg Ricky Tomlinson

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, newjez said:

But the education is simply to appreciate different sexual orientations and accept that people with those orientations are accepted in society and of course to understand about sexual relatiomships and the mechanics of sex, but of course the on line sh*t stirrers have been having a field day making out that the lessons are turning their children into sexual deviants

• Like 1

But the education is simply to appreciate different sexual orientations and accept that people with those orientations are accepted in society and of course to understand about sexual relatiomships and the mechanics of sex, but of course the on line sh*t stirrers have been having a field day making out that the lessons are turning their children into sexual deviants

At any age, the materials will be age appropriate. So its more about legal loving relationships being acceptable in society until students reach the age that they need to be taught about the birds/bees(to coin a phrase). So I doubt there will be any sexual content until they hit that’s age (assuming signs of affection such as hugs and kisses aren’t considered sexual).
  • Like 2

If it is like safe schools in Victoria it is a disgrace and should be banned.

• Haha 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

5 hours ago, Parley said:

If it is like safe schools in Victoria it is a disgrace and should be banned.

We are now in the 21st century, showing an ankle in polite society is no longer a reason to be ostracised.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, newjez said:

Totally inappropriate in primary school.

19 minutes ago, Parley said:

If you care to compare the Nordic countries and other European countries with well established sex and relationship education you find a much more relaxed approach to sexual relationships and much lower incidence of teenage pregnancy.

I can't be bothered to do the googling but try looking at teenage pregnancy in Eire, staunchly Catholic, against the Nordic countries.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

If you care to compare the Nordic countries and other European countries with well established sex and relationship education you find a much more relaxed approach to sexual relationships and much lower incidence of teenage pregnancy.

I can't be bothered to do the googling but try looking at teenage pregnancy in Eire, staunchly Catholic, against the Nordic countries.

If parents want to talk to their young children about homosexuality then that is up to them. 

It is not up to primary schools to promote gay lifestyles.

Clearly hundreds of parents took a stand and withdrew their kids from the lessons. I would too.

7 minutes ago, Parley said:

If parents want to talk to their young children about homosexuality then that is up to them. 

Clearly hundreds of parents took a stand and withdrew their kids from the lessons. I would too.

Here we go, I did it for you

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prevalence_of_teenage_pregnancy

What does that have to do with promoting homosexuality to young kids.

Hopefully nothing

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Parley said:

Promote?

It's education.

So, because the Catholic Church believed that the Sun must revolve around the earth and threatened Galileo with excommunication for 20 years to silence him in the 1600's we should not educate people to have knowledge of the true solar system, it's called factual education.

And we see literally on a weekly basis the results of failing to understand the power of the sexual imperative in peoples lives as the Catholic church denies man's sexuality and insists on celibacy

Edited by BacktoDemocracy
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Parley said:

What does that have to do with promoting homosexuality to young kids.

Hopefully nothing

That might just be your fear writ large rather than a rational analysis. 

• Like 1

If parents want to talk to their young children about homosexuality then that is up to them.  It is not up to primary schools to promote gay lifestyles.

They aren’t promoting gay lifestyles. They are including them alongside others that already exist - your nuclear family/single parents. It’s not as if all materials on nuclear families or single parents have been banned and this is all there is. It’s just added to existing. And it is the schools job, if it’s public/Govt policy, which it basically is.

They did, take their kids out of school, but then a court order was laid against the protesters as they were intimidating and harassing staff and other students at the school gates. They even bussed in people who had nothing to do with the school.

They were allowed to protest as much as they like, just from a safe perimeter. They’d end up arrested if they contravened the ban. Rightly so.

As for the kids taken out of classes, all schools in the area are doing this program.

So they can spend money home schooling their kid (unlikely), put them in a pvt school (again unlikely), deprive them of any education (social services will be on to them) or send them back to the school they took them out off.

In the meanwhile, to supplement their education, they can teach their kids to be mean/intolerant bas#rds at home if they like, and then they can get arrested as adults when they contravene the laws of the land and are called out for it.

The choices are entirely theirs.

• Thanks 1

Thankfully you don’t and never will make UK policy and laws.