Moved back to UK with loads of Australian debt

Desiree

I do realise this is all on me so please don’t reply trolling or with negative comments,l.

I have recently moved back to the UK for family reasons and I have left around $50,000 debt behind (car finance, cards etc) the main one is a $35,000 car finance.
I wanted to know 2 things...

I have not let the finance and credit card companies know I’ve left so they are not aware that I am in the UK. How would they find me? And what would make them look in the UK?
(I am both a UK and Australian citizen)

Can this debt be perused in the uk?

I would really appreciate help on this!

I would imagine that you have left Australia should they care to look, but as you have left without telling the finance companies, it will take a while for them to notice (until you don't respond to messages to pay your debts).

I don't know that they will look for you, but should they find out where you are, I do believe that they can look at retrieving the debt from overseas.  I would imagine at some point when they are unable to recover the debt (as it's such a substantial amount), there may be some court proceedings in your absence which might come back to bite you on the backside should you ever want to return to Aus.

Not sure what help you're looking for and this isn't  a negative comment, but the right thing to do, would be to contact them and arrange a plan to pay off the debt.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Desiree said:

I do realise this is all on me so please don’t reply trolling or with negative comments,l.

I have recently moved back to the UK for family reasons and I have left around $50,000 debt behind (car finance, cards etc) the main one is a $35,000 car finance.
I wanted to know 2 things...

I have not let the finance and credit card companies know I’ve left so they are not aware that I am in the UK. How would they find me? And what would make them look in the UK?
(I am both a UK and Australian citizen)

Can this debt be perused in the uk?

I would really appreciate help on this!

If you owe $35k on a car, what did you do with the car?

You may be in luck because they don't pursue small debts overseas.  The only question is whether the car company sees $35,000 as "small".   

However the question is, what did you do with the car?  You should have told them you couldn't pay the balance and surrendered the car (which would have gone part way to clearing the debt).   If they don't have the money OR the car, they might take that more seriously (the car is their property).

The Australian debt won't affect your UK credit rating but I hope you're not planning to return to Australia to live, as you would have huge difficulty getting any credit in Oz after such a bad debt - and even if it's several years later, they could pursue you for the debt if you return.

On 05/06/2019 at 07:52, Nemesis said:

If you owe $35k on a car, what did you do with the car?

What happened to the car is a very important question. If the car's owners report it stolen it won't be debt collectors that come knocking.

Often Australian finance company will put recovering money from overseas in the too hard basket, so you may well be lucky. But they don't have to give up. They have all the same legal rights in the UK to recover the debt from someone in the UK as a British finance company would, and even if they can't be bothered themselves there are international debt collection agencies who will be happy to do the work for a slice of the action.

I know a couple of people who ran up large UK debts knowing they were moving to Australia. I don't think finance companies chase these debts however I doubt the people in question will be able to return to the UK any time in the next 10 years. I presume same for you in reverse.

Did you give the car back or sell it? Would have been difficult to sell with outstanding finance. And will that have repercussions for the new owner? Dunno.

I know a couple of people who ran up large UK debts knowing they were moving to Australia. I don't think finance companies chase these debts however I doubt the people in question will be able to return to the UK any time in the next 10 years. I presume same for you in reverse.
Did you give the car back or sell it? Would have been difficult to sell with outstanding finance. And will that have repercussions for the new owner? Dunno.

It absolutely can have repercussions for the new owner. The car can be seized so they would be out of pocket! They may be able to come to some arrangement with the finance company but at the end of the day, the finance company are under no obligation!
  • Like 1