Child Visa Advice

stevegallagher

Hi All,

We had a visa (189) granted for myself and my wife. We are planning on emigrating early next year however neither of our children are on the visa we are currently planning on applying for child visas however I was wondering if anybody had any experience (or if it was even possible) to move with the children and apply while on shore so that we can have more certainty around our move date rather than hanging on for the visa to come in?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Steve

How old are your children? If under 18 and there is a parent still present in the UK (from a previous relationship) they will need the consent of the (other) parent to emigrate. If they don’t agree it can lead to a lengthy court process. To be honest it would still take time even if they said yes, and in this situation they would have to wait offshore. 

It depends entirely on why they weren't on your visa in the first place.   

If it's simply that you've had two babies since you applied, then it should be fairly straightforward.   

If it's for any other reason, (adoption, child from another relationship, children over 18 who initially didn't want to move) then it's more complex.

Thanks guys both our children and under 18... to cut a long store short we were misadvised that we could add my son onto our visa after he was born which it turned out we couldn't this meant we had our entry time waived and in the meantime we had another child leading to the situation that me and my wife have our permanent visa but our children don't.

Yes, you’ll be looking at the child visas then. They will have your PR status, they just need a visa to enter Australia and unfortunately a tourist visa won’t do the trick. 

I don’t know much about the 101 except that it’s expensive and lengthy, there’s a!multiple page thread on it on the partner and family visas page. 

Not sure if there’s an onshore option, perhaps someone else can advise, or maybe speak to a Mara registered agent for the best strategy. A number of reputable ones post on this forum regularly. 

On 04/06/2019 at 00:50, stevegallagher said:

Hi All,

We had a visa (189) granted for myself and my wife. We are planning on emigrating early next year however neither of our children are on the visa we are currently planning on applying for child visas however I was wondering if anybody had any experience (or if it was even possible) to move with the children and apply while on shore so that we can have more certainty around our move date rather than hanging on for the visa to come in?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Steve

It doesn't have to be a lengthy process. It is costly though. It may help expedite the process of you have a departure date.

Ours got granted within 2 months IIRC.

2 hours ago, DukeNinja said:

It doesn't have to be a lengthy process. It is costly though. It may help expedite the process of you have a departure date.

Ours got granted within 2 months IIRC.

Thanks Duke that's good to know we are heading in to London tomorrow to get the ball rolling.

12 hours ago, Wonderingaloud said:

Yes, you’ll be looking at the child visas then. They will have your PR status, they just need a visa to enter Australia and unfortunately a tourist visa won’t do the trick. 

I don’t know much about the 101 except that it’s expensive and lengthy, there’s a!multiple page thread on it on the partner and family visas page. 

Not sure if there’s an onshore option, perhaps someone else can advise, or maybe speak to a Mara registered agent for the best strategy. A number of reputable ones post on this forum regularly. 

Thanks