Police checks and activation of visa

Scoop

Hi everyone,

We applied in April and I have uploaded all the supporting docs I feel are necessary, and my partner has done and passed his medical, which was requested as soon as we paid the application fee.

I am now unsure if we need to do the police checks - my partner lived in Australia with me for 12 months in 2008/2009 - or do I wait for them to request this?

And do we both need police checks for the UK where we have lived for 10 years (he is British / I am Australian)

And lastly - once (or if !!) the visa is approved does my partner need to travel to Australia to activate the visa?

🙂

Very unusual for medical to be requested as soon as application submitted. Usually a CO will request them both together. There is a standard letter about the medical once you've applied, but this isn't the request from the CO.

you'll need police checks from wherever you've lived, so Australia and the UK and be mindful that the checks, meds and police, are only valid for a year, and so if you're waiting longer, you'll need to redo them.

and yes, the only way for a visa to be validated is by coming to Australia.

good luck!!

7 minutes ago, ali said:

As Beffers said - very unusual for your medicals to be requested at time of application and not the police checks - who requested them?

When we applied, there was a standard letter on the Immi page once our application was submitted but it wasn't a CO request as they came via email.

Just now, Beffers said:

When we applied, there was a standard letter on the Immi page once our application was submitted but it wasn't a CO request as they came via email.

It's a long time since we applied - we were told not to do anything until requested.  Does the standard letter tell you to do the medicals right away?

45 minutes ago, Beffers said:

When we applied, there was a standard letter on the Immi page once our application t it wasn't a CO request as they came via email.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

There was a note on the application that said to book the medical, and we received a referral letter. 

I just assumed this meant we had to do the medical quickly. The doctor doing the medical said that because he has done it with the referral letter it will not expire. 

I was just unsure of we should wait for a similar thing for police checks.