You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Bobj

Weather Extremes

There is a place in the middle of Tasmania called Liawenee.  Liawenee and the surrounding Miena Dam area are amongst the coldest permanently inhabited places in Australia.   The temp there overnight was minus 2 and today it is going to reach 1 degree.  Quite balmy for Liawenee during winter.  😃

• Like 1

Massive storm on its way.  

We went with a group of friends on a walk today and a lot of us complained of the cold but on reflection- no , not cold.  No frost, snow or even cold winds and not cold enough for gloves - probably about 14C. We are a bunch of sooks really here in Melbourne. Even the rain was sporadic and not that bad. Probably equivalent to a Summer's day in Bridlington!

• Like 3

On 03/06/2019 at 21:04, starlight7 said:

We went with a group of friends on a walk today and a lot of us complained of the cold but on reflection- no , not cold.  No frost, snow or even cold winds and not cold enough for gloves - probably about 14C. We are a bunch of sooks really here in Melbourne. Even the rain was sporadic and not that bad. Probably equivalent to a Summer's day in Bridlington!

Yesterday morning we had a heavy frost - everything was white but by 9 am it was gone.  I definitely had on my gloves and woolly hat as I was out at 7 am.  The sort of weather I really dislike is cold and rain at the same time.  Thank goodness when that happens here it last for a day or two at a time.  We do get terrific winds here in the winter though.  Brrrr.

• Like 2

Sccwush its cold in Melbourne tonight. Could say temps in Melb range from 1C to 46C over the year, pretty broad range. Nice woodfire though, plus background heating, very cosy.

• Like 1

We've had a good soaking in Perth and some more to come later this week. Not been cold though, only gets cold when we get clear nights and it only lasts for a couple of hours if the day is clear and sunny.

Bet the farmers are happy.

We have had very cold frosty mornings for over  a week now.   It's a bit milder today and rain is forecast later in the week.   We have a warm cosy house so the cold doesn't bother me though I really dislike the cold when it is also raining - horrid -  as I spend a fair bit of time outdoors every day.   We don't get ice and snow in Devonport as we are on the coast but inland and in the mountain areas, well that is a different story.  Our hottest day in Devonport last summer was 32C - too hot for me.  We usually have an average of about 25C during summer.

Posted (edited)

I will admit, I didn't expect to see actual frost and ice living in the southern suburbs of Adelaide.  If we had moved to the hills (as we were once thinking of doing) yes

But Sunday and yesterday we did just that. It reminded me of being at my grandparents farmhouse as a kid in winter with no heating, single glazing and.....cold !

Edited by SteveandKirsty

Kirsty is the main applicant. Vetassess rec/proc 17/12/13 (finally) a positive assessment 10/06/14. ILETS 19/03/16 overall 8.5 score rec 01/04/16, 190 EOI for SA Lodged 07/12/16. EOI Approved 24/01/17. 190 visa submitted 24/02/17, CO 06/03/17 Medicals 20/03/17. 190 for SA granted 05/04/17. Arrival in SA 22/04/19. It's been quite a journey !

It’s been the mildest winter I can remember, with minimum temps much higher than usual.  Rain required and getting close to water restrictions 

2 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

We've had a good soaking in Perth and some more to come later this week. Not been cold though, only gets cold when we get clear nights and it only lasts for a couple of hours if the day is clear and sunny.

Bet the farmers are happy.

Farmers are never happy Paul. 

10 minutes ago, newjez said:

Farmers are never happy Paul. 

If they get a good year they should be. It's a hard job but must be rewarding if you get a good return. 

I read that lamb prices are the best ever last week so some are making good money.

Brilliant day today- bright sunshine, blue skies and freezing cold, just one out of the box! We were visited by a family of King parrots and then a couple of rainbow lorikeets came and chased them all off- even though they are half their size. Cheeky little blighters.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

Christmas in July in our backyard today

C6041A75-B416-4C7A-8A3D-214FF611EAA7.jpeg

State/territory?

13 hours ago, starlight7 said:

Victoria

It's funny how the hail comes through and hits certain suburbs hard.

I think I live pretty close to you and I didn't get any.

I want it all, and I want it now.

Looks nice but grandson wasn't keen on playing footie in it!