Children’s visa

Lucie1

Dear all,

I have two older children who have just quailed in trades.

One being a electrician and one a mechanical engineer.

The problem I now have is I’m going to apply for 189 visa, and I’m not sure they can be placed on there.

But what visas could they apply for to be permanent, I don’t really like the idea of them only going on a two year working holiday visa as my understanding is they then have to come back to the uk ?

No. They won't qualify. They will need to gain a few years experience in order to pass a skills assessment. Then hope that the occupations are still on the list.

also, note that many trades in the UK now only do a basic level of qualification such as NVQ2. In many cases this will not be enough and if not, only experience gained after upgrading to a full apprenticeship/ NVQ3 will be counted. 

22 minutes ago, Lucie1 said:

Hi my sons are 22.
They both have nvq level 3 and are also doing their HND but that’s another year.

Lucie, I think verystormy was asking what your age was, I'm guessing because if you are 45 or over you won't qualify for a visa yourself either

And with adult kids, with a qualification in a trade it's common for the parent to be on the cusp of the visa cut off age

One other question is are you sure they would even want to go with you? At 22 and with jobs they may have life's they don't want to give up...

If they do want to come I suggest you as a family consult a migration agent on an initial consultation to get their expert opinion on ways that could work

1 minute ago, Lucie1 said:

Ok thank you that’s really helpful

If they went on a two year working visa am I right in thinking they then have to return to the UK or could they apply for PR whilst out there ?

If their ability to qualify (skills assessment and points) becomes positive whilst on the WHV then they can apply onshore.

Thank you ausvisitor you’ve been really helpful.

Yeah it was always me who had the bug but after being there twice they both want to go regardless of my decision.

This is what worrying me more though is they have very good stable jobs here and they would be giving that all up.

That’s excellent news about the applying on shore to, thank you

Lucie what anzsco code are you going to apply for your visa under and how many points do you calculate you will have yourself?

The 189 is very competitive and based on the news people are hearing about next year's limits will only get more competitive.

This year for instance (the OZ immigration year runs from July 1st - so we are almost through this year) no one had had a 189 invite with anything less than 75 points

Lucie what anzsco code are you going to apply for your visa under and how many points do you calculate you will have yourself?

The 189 is very competitive and based on the news people are hearing about next year's limits will only get more competitive.

This year for instance (the OZ immigration year runs from July 1st - so we are almost through this year) no one had had a 189 invite with anything less than 75 points

Hi ausvisitor, my anzsco code would be 254412.

I’m the UK I’m an aged care nurse manager.

My points would current be 75 or 80 if I opted for 190

Thank you

12 hours ago, Lucie1 said:

Hi tulip1
No I realise they can’t go on my visa. I’m wondering what other visa they can they go on instead of a working holiday visa

Apologies for that. They can only go on a visa they can obtain in their own right such as a skilled visa. At their age and experience, this would be impossible I’d say. They will need to build up years of experience and then hope their trades are on the skilled list. 

9 hours ago, Lucie1 said:

Ok thank you that’s really helpful

If they went on a two year working visa am I right in thinking they then have to return to the UK or could they apply for PR whilst out there ?

The same criteria applies. They can only go for PR if they meet the criteria. Almost everyone who goes on a WHV has to return, it’s just an extended holiday visa with work rights.  It’s a double edged decision as if they remain in the uk then they build up experience in their field which is unlikely to happen in Oz bearing in mind regional work and only being allowed to be with an employee max 6 months. Whilst they want to go now if they  remain in the UK to build up years of experience things change, they may meet a partner and then not want to go. They may decide on a WHV and one of them meet someone and settle and the other one  not and have to return alone.  You’re in a difficult situation, you need to go ahead with this if you really want to knowing they may never get there.  Speak to a migrant agent just so you know exactly where you stand but sadly there’s hundreds of thousands of early 20’s out there on WHV desperately trying to find a way to stay but for the most there just isn’t. 

Apologies for that. They can only go on a visa they can obtain in their own right such as a skilled visa. At their age and experience, this would be impossible I’d say. They will need to build up years of experience and then hope their trades are on the skilled list. 

That’s my worry thank you though for the information

The same criteria applies. They can only go for PR if they meet the criteria. Almost everyone who goes on a WHV has to return, it’s just an extended holiday visa with work rights.  It’s a double edged decision as if they remain in the uk then they build up experience in their field which is unlikely to happen in Oz bearing in mind regional work and only being allowed to be with an employee max 6 months. Whilst they want to go now if they  remain in the UK to build up years of experience things change, they may meet a partner and then not want to go. They may decide on a WHV and one of them meet someone and settle and the other one  not and have to return alone.  You’re in a difficult situation, you need to go ahead with this if you really want to knowing they may never get there.  Speak to a migrant agent just so you know exactly where you stand but sadly there’s hundreds of thousands of early 20’s out there on WHV desperately trying to find a way to stay but for the most there just isn’t. 

For all the same reasons as you’re mentioning really does worry me., not great news if I’m honest

15 hours ago, Lucie1 said:

Oh thank you very much for your reply that kind of worries me.
Would you know if there’s a visa out there that once I’m there I could say I would find them (like the old 176 visa)

There are visas for remaining relatives but the waiting time is something like 30 years, I think.    So their only option will be to make sure their qualifications meet the criteria for a skilled visa and then work  for the required number of years until they're eligible to apply. 

Bear in mind, if you haven't applied for your visa yet, it's going to be another year at least before you find out if you've been successful anyway.

They could come to Australia on a WHV in the meantime, but it's not always possible to get work in your trade while on a WHV.  They'd probably be better off staying in the UK where they can maintain an unbroken work record, that way they'll get the required experience in the fastest time possible.   

Young people are impatient and as Tulip1 says, there are thousands of young people who arrive on a WHV thinking they'll somehow find a way to apply for a permanent visa.   When you go to the hostels where WHVérs hang out, they're full of stories about people who managed to do it - but funnily enough, it's always a nameless friend of a friend of a friend. 

I do know people who've managed to arrive on a WHV and transition to a skilled visa, but they were nearer 30 than 20 with a lot of experience in their field.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1