Holiday/guided experience

Shane.

Hi everyone. My wife and I have been interested in moving over to Aus for years now but neither of us have actually been!

I don't even know if these things exist but what we're looking for is a company/person who helps you arrange things and guides you when you are over there so you can see the different parts of Aus and what employment opportunities may be available, so they can help you make a decision on if and where to move over there (if we did decide it was for us)...

There are guided travel companies but I doubt there would be any linked to employment opportunities.    This is because  a visa to work in Australia is  restricted to certain occupations only and applicants are also required to have a certain level of formal qualifications and a number of years of post qualification experience.   You should first investigate whether you are eligible to apply for a work visa before thinking about any further problems such as where to live.  The list of occupations is here:

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/working-in-australia/skill-occupation-list  

There’s no point in doing that until you know whether it’s even a possibility. To be eligible to move to Australia, one of you must have an occupation that’s on the skilled list. Not only that, you must have the qualifications and experience specified on the list. Then you must score enough points on a formula which considers things like your age and English competence. 

Not surprisingly, only a small percentage of people can meet all those criteria, and you may find you’re not one of them. Best plan is to have a consultation with a good migration agent first to know where you stand

also it is technically illegal to come to Australia on a holiday visa and even contemplate employment opportunities / engage in discussions about employment (im sure lots do though!!!)

however it would prohibit a company formally offering a service where they take groups on the holiday visa around the country talking about where they might find work.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We are definitely eligible, that's the reason we have been contemplating it.

We are aware of agencies that help you with the paperwork etc. once you're set on going, but we basically want a person/company to help us figure out which area would be best for us (based on lifestyle and where the best employment opportunities are for our sectors) - someone to show us around and help us decipher the pros and cons of each area before we come to a decision... not necessarily discussing employment with companies, just looking at where the beat areas are in terms of opportunity in our job roles.

I've never heard of companies who help you decide where to live (it sounds like something on wanted down under were they take you around).  

Have you checked if your qualifying occupations restrict you to certain states? (not all states need all occupations).  It might be a case of doing some of your own research, narrowing down a short list and taking a holiday over to Aus 

1 hour ago, Shane. said:

We are aware of agencies that help you with the paperwork etc. once you're set on going, but we basically want a person/company to help us figure out which area would be best for us (based on lifestyle and where the best employment opportunities are for our sectors) - someone to show us around and help us decipher the pros and cons of each area before we come to a decision... not necessarily discussing employment with companies, just looking at where the beat areas are in terms of opportunity in our job roles.

I'm afraid that doesn't exist.  PomsinOz is really the best source of such information that you'll find, I'm afraid.  

If you can share what occupations you're in, what your expectations are for lifestyle, and what your budget is, then I'm sure there will be many people who can offer useful advice.

For instance, if you're in a senior corporate role, then you're pretty much limited to Sydney or Melbourne.  If you're a tradie, teacher, doctor or nurse, then your options are wide open and you're more likely to get a good quality of life in a smaller city or town rather than any of the capitals. 

It's unusual for someone to want to come to Australia and have absolutely no idea which part of it they'd like to live in.  What's motivating the move in that case?

Edited by Marisawright