WHV Self Employed Beautician

heather_

Hi all

My boyfriend and I are currently researching WHVs for ourselves. We both currently work in marketing with myself being a part time marketing assistant and part time beautician. Realistically we’re not super fussed about what work we do in Australia given that it will be for less then 6 months at any given company, we have a decent amount of savings, and the main goal is to travel but, hypothetically, would I be able to work for myself as a mobile beautician on a WHV should I struggle to find suitable work? I have read that companies need to be working holiday registered so not sure how this would apply to self employment!

I’ve searched the internet with no luck yet but if someone could recommend a useful site or place to start that would be so appreciated!

Not heard about companies needing to be working holiday registered before.  What I would suggest is that you explore first if your qualifications are the equivalent to Aus ones, so that if you did set up on your own you would be recognised as qualified to do so.  Additionally, you will need an ABN to be self employed, don't know how that will go for you being a visitor and with tax (someone better qualified might be able to help there).  

• 3 months later...
On 27/05/2019 at 23:41, heather_ said:

I be able to work for myself as a mobile beautician on a WHV should I struggle to find suitable work

Hello

You could offer cheaper appointments to backpackers

We had a couple of masseurs, beauticians and hairdressers in the hostel I was in. They advertised their services in all the local hostels, and made cash in hand from those jobs. They were usually quite busy.

On 29/05/2019 at 08:34, MaggieMay24 said:

I don't know a lot about WHVs, but I think the registered employers is a requirement if you want them to sign off on regional work for a second WHV.  Otherwise I don't think it's necessary that they're registered.

Companies (and other employers) do have to register whether or not they employ WHV holders as part of their PAYG withholding registration. It's not an onerous requirement.

Whether or not self-employed people need to register will depend upon whether or not they are operating a payroll.