Requalifying as a solicitor from the UK

AmyLondon

Hi all

Would be great to get some guidance, I am a UK qualified solicitor and I am aware that I will have to apply to the Victorian Legal Admissions Board (moving to Melbourne) to assess my qualifications. Having read up I think I will have to re-study 4 topics (Administrative Law, Federal and State Constitutional Law, Ethics
and Professional Responsibility), my question is where can/will I have to study these modules?  Any idea how long this will take?  I think I heard something about an online course.

Thanks

• 2 months later...

I recommend that you get your assessment from VLAB before deciding whether to relocate as you may find that, depending on where/what you studied and if you have a law degree or went down the GDL route, the number of subjects you have to study may be much more than four. I have heard that for GDL qualified people assessment boards demand a lot more subjects to be completed.

A number of universities and other entities (eg College of Law) will offer the courses and you can study on line with most of them.  Some people do this while still working in the UK so that they are ready for admission when they get to Australia.

I requalified 10 years ago but had the benefit of having being sponsored over by a law firm who paid for my requalification and admission and guided me through selecting course providers  because I practised in an area of law (energy) where there was a skills shortage.  Is this something you could explore if you work in a sought after area of law?    

It took me exactly a year after arriving in Australia to be admitted. I only had to do three subjects (even though I did not have a law degree - I did the CPE and LSF) but it was a lot less stringent in those days and different states had different standards.  I went down the NSW route to get admitted even though I was working in QLD.

All the best.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Hi, 

I was wondering how you got on with the re-qualification procedure and whether you found work in Aus. I am also thinking of re-qualifying however I understand it takes time so might have to look for a different job until then.

Thanks