UK holiday- recommendations!

Chortlepuss

Off to UK in August for two months! I’m going to be a proper tourist & visit places I haven’t been before that I’ve always wanted to get to. If you’ve got hints & tips on things not to miss in the following places (preferably accessible by public transport) please let me know! I like Nature, Gardens, Walking,  Art, Comedy, Theatre, Pubs, Music (esp Folk), train trips & great food (I’m not very rich though). Love veggie/vegan food! Thanks for any suggestions! Stops include....

Newcastle

Middlesbrough

Leeds

Oxford

Bristol 

Cheers for suggestions! 

Caro

1 hour ago, Chortlepuss said:

Off to UK in August for two months! I’m going to be a proper tourist & visit places I haven’t been before that I’ve always wanted to get to. If you’ve got hints & tips on things not to miss in the following places (preferably accessible by public transport) please let me know! I like Nature, Gardens, Walking,  Art, Comedy, Theatre, Pubs, Music (esp Folk), train trips & great food (I’m not very rich though). Love veggie/vegan food! Thanks for any suggestions! Stops include....

Newcastle

Middlesbrough

Leeds

Oxford

Bristol 

Cheers for suggestions! 

Caro

West highlands of Scotland- obviously 

Lake district - obviously 

North Yorkshire 

North Devon 

Cornwall 

Norfolk broads 

York 

Wales - obviously 

Local to me -

Stratford upon Avon 

Warwick 

Worcester 

And me personally , I would have a week in London- a week might just scratch the surface 

Where possible - STAY OFF THE MOTORWAYS - YOU WILL NOT SEE THE BEAUTY OF THE U.K FROM THE MIDDLE LANE OF THE M6 😂

Newcastle. Lots to do and see. Get a train down to Whitley Bay (it's a 15 minute trip) Stunning beach and the park does free concerts all through summer inc,using some very big names. 

Middlesbrough. Stay in southern part / southern edge. North is not good. South is nice, gives access to North Yorks national park, great villages such as Yarm, Stocksley and other.  Stewart's Park is worth a trip. Has the museum of Captain Cook. A secret tip. The church opposite is very old and is the place Capt Cook was christened. All of the wood including pews were made by he mouse man. See how many mice you can find. A short walk from the park is fairy dell. A stunning woodland. 

Just north of the park are some shops which have a old Boro butchers that sell some of the best versions of north east foods such as peas pudding.

Short drives from Boro are Whitby (great small town famous for its ruined Abby and the setting of Dracula. And the tiny village of Robins Hoods Bay. Stunning village very popular with tourists. 

• Like 1

On 25/05/2019 at 02:16, VERYSTORMY said:

Newcastle. Lots to do and see. Get a train down to Whitley Bay (it's a 15 minute trip) Stunning beach and the park does free concerts all through summer inc,using some very big names. 

Middlesbrough. Stay in southern part / southern edge. North is not good. South is nice, gives access to North Yorks national park, great villages such as Yarm, Stocksley and other.  Stewart's Park is worth a trip. Has the museum of Captain Cook. A secret tip. The church opposite is very old and is the place Capt Cook was christened. All of the wood including pews were made by he mouse man. See how many mice you can find. A short walk from the park is fairy dell. A stunning woodland. 

Just north of the park are some shops which have a old Boro butchers that sell some of the best versions of north east foods such as peas pudding.

Short drives from Boro are Whitby (great small town famous for its ruined Abby and the setting of Dracula. And the tiny village of Robins Hoods Bay. Stunning village very popular with tourists. 

Thanks VS - we are staying with my sis who lives next to the Fairy Dell - and have a trip to Whitby by train over the moors planned!

On 24/05/2019 at 15:25, Chortlepuss said:

Newcastle

Middlesbrough

Leeds

Oxford

Bristol 

Cheers for suggestions! 

Caro

I'd give Middlesbrough a miss tbh!

On 26/05/2019 at 08:00, Chortlepuss said:

Thanks VS - we are staying with my sis who lives next to the Fairy Dell - and have a trip to Whitby by train over the moors planned!

You can get a steam train from Goathland to pickering as well. Nice walks around there if you're into that sort of stuff