Family of 3 how to survive on student visa ?

Neeraja404

Hello everyone, I'm planning to move to Australia to on students visa to do my Masters, trying for Nov '19 intake. I'll be accompanied by my husband and our 2 year old daughter. I have few family friends and relatives in Melbourne so giving that as a priority while choosing university. 

I understand that as a student I'm allowed to work 20 hrs/week and my husband gets full work rights. I'm writing my concerns below and looking forward to your valuable answers and experiences.

1. My husband is an automotive sales consultant, will he be able to get a job in the same industry ? Because few jobs we saw on job portals said they hire only PR or citizens for this role. Is it difficult to get a good job on temporary visas ?

2. To make ends meet, even I have to do part time survival jobs so our only option is to leave our daughter at childcare or playgroups while we both are working. How are the average expenses for playgroups in Melbourne ? Will it be feasible ? Or would you suggest I work in the evenings when my husband is at home to look after our daughter. That way we can save on her childcare.

Please note that I have done some research on the internet but would like to know real experiences of you guys who have already faced these situations. Your replies will be very helpful. TIA

You won’t get any allowance for childcare from the government which makes it expensive and probably not feasible as anything you earn on 20hours a week will go straight to childcare. Most centres or family based daycare you are looking at $80 to $100 a day. 

Jobs can be difficult on temporary visas, if they are saying only citizens or PRs on the portals they must feel pretty strongly about it. Although I have no first hand experience of that area of work. 

Any reason you have to do your masters in Australia? Given all the other expenses, university fees as an international student. rent, bills, insurance, general living not to mention childcare you will struggle financially and your quality of life might well suffer because of it. Studying and working to make ends meet is no fun. 

Dont mean to be a killjoy but just make sure you’ve thought it through. Also be aware channels to PR are not guaranteed, a lot of loopholes that may have existed in the past are not open anymore. If the goal is to move to Australia you might be better off to study in the UK and save your £’s.

Good luck with it all 

Thank you for your insights. I believe the childcare is the most expensive than anything else. We will have to work out some feasible solutions to it, like my husband works full time in the day and I work in the evenings when he's at home looking after our daughter.

Frankly, this is a step towards PR. I'm a graduate in Computer science engineering but no relevant work experiences so my points come to just 65, the current cut off for ICT is 75 and above so doing a masters in IT and working for a year will boost my points for PR. This is our plan. A little struggle of 2 -3 years for a fruitful life 😃

4 hours ago, Neeraja404 said:

Thank you for your insights. I believe the childcare is the most expensive than anything else. We will have to work out some feasible solutions to it, like my husband works full time in the day and I work in the evenings when he's at home looking after our daughter.

Frankly, this is a step towards PR. I'm a graduate in Computer science engineering but no relevant work experiences so my points come to just 65, the current cut off for ICT is 75 and above so doing a masters in IT and working for a year will boost my points for PR. This is our plan. A little struggle of 2 -3 years for a fruitful life 😃

If your husband is working full time during the day and you’re at uni who will be looking after the child?

4 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

If your husband is working full time during the day and you’re at uni who will be looking after the child?

Are the uni timings everyday 9 - 4pm kinda? My education consultant told me the timings are flexible and classes may be just 3 days a week or so. Please correct mt if i'm wrong. During this time I can leave my daughter at my cousin's place but cannot do it everyday and burden them. .

21 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

If you are doing a masters they can be from 8am to 8pm (at least mine was) and often have to be in for group project as well - I had to go in each day as well

oh is it. Can u share which was ur uni and what course u enrolled for ?

1 hour ago, Neeraja404 said:

My education consultant told me the timings are flexible and classes may be just 3 days a week or so. Please correct mt if i'm wrong

Be very careful if you are using an education consultant. Most of them are paid commissions by the university and they will tell you lies to persuade you the course is suitable even if it is not. 

You would be wise to contact the university department yourself and ask them about things like hours and child care

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Neeraja404 said:

oh is it. Can u share which was ur uni and what course u enrolled for ?

My master's wasn't in AUS I did it in the UK and my wife did the same one in the US.

The timetable was pretty much the same for both of us and as your qual will be equivalent I can't see how it would be possible in the hours your agent has suggested.

These may be the timetabled lectures, but there will be tutorials, project work and a bunch of other formal draws on your time. A masters is much more a job than an undergraduate is.

If I was doing an IT masters I certainly wouldn't be migrating from the UK to AUS to do it - all the major post-grad unis for IT are in the UK or the USA

Please note that it is against the law for an educational consultant to give you advice about migrating as they are not a migration agent. 

I did some research and as far as I can see, you get only 5 extra points for doing your Masters in Australia instead of in another country.  

The student visa pathway will cost you thousands of dollars - not just in fees but in the drop in income for your husband and increase in costs.  Considering that, I strongly suggest you book a consultation with one of the excellent migration agents on this forum, to check that all the information you've been given is accurate.  A few hundred dollars now could save you making expensive mistakes with your visa.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Neeraja404 said:

I understand that as a student I'm allowed to work 20 hrs/week and my husband gets full work rights.

Make sure that the course you are enrolled in will allow full work rights for your husband, as not all of them do. Many will limit your husband to 20 hrs/week as well.

18 hours ago, Neeraja404 said:

the current cut off for ICT is 75 and above

During the last invitation round ICT Business and System Analysts need at least 85 points.

15 hours ago, Neeraja404 said:

If i do my masters in my home country the score doesn't seem to change. So doing the same in Australia increases around 10 - 15 points apparently

Australian study will only give you an extra 5 points and only if it meets the requirements.

14 hours ago, Neeraja404 said:

My education consultant told me the timings are flexible and classes may be just 3 days a week or so.

You should be weary if you are basing your future Immigration plans on advice from an education consultant.

• Like 3