Can you have more than one application at any one time?

BenF

My daughter had a permanent residency as part of my own application but only spent 9 months in oz in total. It has been 2.5years since she has visited Oz and her residency has now lapsed so we applied for an RRV but don’t think she qualifies as I think you need to spend 2 and a half years in Oz for the residency to be activated?

we thought we could just cancel that visa and apply for a working holiday visa for whilst meeting her Bali on her way over here but it doesn’t seem that simple. 

Can anybody shed any light / give us any advice for our situation? 

It has been over 2 months since she applied but still no word on her rrv application.

she recently turned 21, we have been living and working in Western Australia for the last seven and a half  years and she also has a four year old brother who holds an Oz passport here too.

She is finding the whole situation very stressful as she has lost her job in uk and also has nowhere to live there...

2 hours ago, BenF said:

It has been over 2 months since she applied but still no word on her rrv application.

she recently turned 21, we have been living and working in Western Australia for the last seven and a half  years and she also has a four year old brother who holds an Oz passport here too.

She is finding the whole situation very stressful as she has lost her job in uk and also has nowhere to live there...

Sadly the authorities will just say, “you should have thought of that” so there is no way to appeal for priority.

Does she want to move to Australia permanently or just for regular visits?

Did she supply evidence of close ties to Australia?  The processing time has blown out and can take over three months. Don’t let her apply for a tourist visa or working holiday as they will cancel the PR. If she wants to re locate to Australia she should wait for an RRV. 

She should be given a one year one if she evidenced her close ties to Australia. 

This will give her one year to enter Australia but she will need another when it runs out if she wants to travel overseas. Best to get citizenship ASAP. 

3 hours ago, rammygirl said:

Did she supply evidence of close ties to Australia?  The processing time has blown out and can take over three months. Don’t let her apply for a tourist visa or working holiday as they will cancel the PR. If she wants to re locate to Australia she should wait for an RRV. 

She should be given a one year one if she evidenced her close ties to Australia. 

This will give her one year to enter Australia but she will need another when it runs out if she wants to travel overseas. Best to get citizenship ASAP. 

Hi and thanks so much to all for you advice! 

She had submitted 10 documents to support her close ties to Oz, however the field for documents is now showing zero where it did show a ‘10’. Quite frustrating!

she has also worn out all avenues of places to stay in UK so that’s why she needs to leave ASAP. This is why we are considering another visa path. As she is not sure if she wants to stay permanently yet would she have to cancel her current application to submit another or could she potentially go straight for a working visa so she can still work on arrival, she could then apply for residency again in a year or so if that’s what she still wanted to do?

thanks in advance

Ben

46 minutes ago, BenF said:

Hi and thanks so much to all for you advice! 

She had submitted 10 documents to support her close ties to Oz, however the field for documents is now showing zero where it did show a ‘10’. Quite frustrating!

she has also worn out all avenues of places to stay in UK so that’s why she needs to leave ASAP. This is why we are considering another visa path. As she is not sure if she wants to stay permanently yet would she have to cancel her current application to submit another or could she potentially go straight for a working visa so she can still work on arrival, she could then apply for residency again in a year or so if that’s what she still wanted to do?

thanks in advance

Ben

At the moment, her PR visa is still there. But her right to enter Australia has expired. If she obtains a whv, the PR visa will be cancelled entirely as the whv will replace it. 

The ability for a 21 year old to then qualify for a PR visa in her own right would be very slim. So, if she went for a whv and then decided she wanted to stay, there is strong chance she wouldn't be able to. 

Given her family is in Oz, I think she has a very sting chance of being granted the rrv. At the moment, many visa categories have seen processing times blow out. I would strongly urge patience. 

• Like 1

So... 

On the day before myself, my wife and son head back to Perth from Bali we go to the Oz consul and visa application center for advice (to no avail) and 3 working days before my daughter flies to Perth we got an email address and send what is basically a grovelling letter explaining again our situation emphasising the ties and personal situation including my 21 year old daughter potentially being stuck here in Bali on her own until the visa is granted.

Email sent at 3:30pm  Perth and Bali time (5:30 already in Canberra), at 4:22pm local time she received the good news, RRV granted!!! The gods of Bali are on our side! And obviously they have some sway at immigration house 👍🏽 

We came so, so close to changing application to WHV but resisted at the last minute too 🙄 

Again a huge thank you for the sound  advice received in the last few days, it was very much appreciated and swayed us to hold on 👍🏽🤞🏽

Application submitted 24 March ‘19 and granted 22 May ‘19

• Like 1
  • Congratulations 3

1 hour ago, BenF said:

We came so, so close to changing application to WHV but resisted at the last minute too 🙄 

Thank goodness you didn't do that without getting professional advice.  We've had so, so many people on these forums whose adult children have lost all right to migrate to Australia because of hasty decisions about visas.  Better to be stuck in Bali for six months than you being forced to return to the UK because she has no way to get PR!   I'm relieved it worked out.

great news!  I’m so glad she is able to return with you on an RRV.  Just remember she needs to apply for another in plenty of time before the current one runs out.  She won’t be able to get a five year one until she has spent two years in Australia.

Our son is in a similar position as he finished a PHD in UK before joining us just before his PR travel rights expired, he is currently on a one year RRV which thankfully I told him to apply for early as he often needs to travel for work.

It is lovely to be re United even though he is in another state!

I hope it all works out