Leaving Oz after 8 years.

jacs23

Hi all ... 

I started reading the post about positive returns to the uk a while ago, and absolutely knew it was time for us to go home. Reading them made my heart so happy, I can’t even explain.

My husband and I are both originally from Scotland, we moved to Australia in 2011. Having moved 3 times here to various states for husbands work, hubby has now been told he’s being let go by the end of July. Such a shock for him, but in all honesty, I was a tad relieved. His work moved us from Adelaide, to Kalgoorlie and we’re now in Sydney. It’s been ok, but we’ve never really made any close friends, no one comes from the uk to visit us, our two children (7&3) don’t have cousins here to grow up with. We feel so alone! 

We’ve recently become PR, which is great after almost our whole time here on working visa’s. We waited a year for the decision and in that time I was hoping they’d decide it was a no. Simply because I wanted to go home. 

After expressing my feelings to my hubby, the whole time being in tears I might add ... he has agreed we should move back to the uk. He said it’s time to put me and the kids first for a while. I don’t think I’ve ever loved him so much in that moment 😍

I want my kids to experience a different culture to growing up, I want them to get excited about a summer holiday abroad (we never really did holidays here to anywhere) I want to look forward to autumn when the forests are covered in crunchy leaves. I want them to learn about guy fawkes and enjoy seeing the fireworks. I want them to be so excited about the possibility that it could snow each Christmas. But most of all, I want them to do this with family and friends. They’ve never been able to celebrate a birthday with cousins. I want them to get to know them all, there’s quite a few 🤣

So ... I’m now in planning mode, job hunting mode, all things uk mode! 

We hope to be back by early August if we can. 

I feel if we don’t do it now, we will always wonder what if ... ? 

We know it’s not going to be easy (or cheap) - we have to start all over again with a house, cars, schooling for the kids. But I’m so determined to make it work. 

If anyone has any advice etc, I’m so happy to hear it. 

Jackie x 

• Like 8

Hi Jackie,

We fly back to the UK in two weeks time, after 28 years in Perth and a few weeks in Queensland.

We had a six month stint in the UK recently and loved every single minute.

This time, we are not paying to transport all our “stuff” been there done that once,  and it was a waste of time and money for us. And when you land it does not take long to get “ sorted”  with things such as a GP, dentist, bank etc etc.

I fully understand your delight, I am so excited I could turn myself inside out !

Good luck and enjoy your travels home.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, jacs23 said:

I started reading the post about positive returns to the uk a while ago, and absolutely knew it was time for us to go home. Reading them made my heart so happy, I can’t even explain.

I want my kids to experience a different culture to growing up, I want them to get excited about a summer holiday abroad (we never really did holidays here to anywhere) I want to look forward to autumn when the forests are covered in crunchy leaves. I want them to learn about guy fawkes and enjoy seeing the fireworks. I want them to be so excited about the possibility that it could snow each Christmas. But most of all, I want them to do this with family and friends. They’ve never been able to celebrate a birthday with cousins. I want them to get to know them all, there’s quite a few 🤣

Hi Jackie, I have copied parts of your post that totally resonated with us when we started planning our move back after almost 10 years in Perth. We arrived in March 2017. We have had the most wonderful experiences especially weather wise, a marvellous first spring and summer, a fabulously snowy winter, well very late Feb early March in 2018.  Our children were in awe of the snow, especially when their school was closed for 3 days for “snow days” 😆they had never even heard of this! The summer last year was amazing and we bought our own house in a little, well served village. 

The age of your children is perfect for a move back too, ours were 13 and 11 when we moved and have settled well. 

If you have any questions just ask or PM me  Good luck!

Julie

• Like 2

We moved to Scotland from Aus almost two years ago, despite having never lived in Scotland before (we were from England) and it is absolutely the best thing we've ever done! We have found a really lovely village, near to Kinross, where we have settled well and made heaps of friends. We're all really involved in the community, and despite OH and I having separated since we moved back, I am so happy we moved here! The kids both settled really well, made loads of friends, and are both doing well at school. We've enjoyed exploring our new home, we love the weather, come hail, rain or shine, and have really made a home for ourselves here!

Any questions, just ask!

• Like 2

Thanks so much to you all that have replied 😀 it’s been great to read your stories. 

We will have to wait until next April to apply for citizenship as it’s a year wait from when we get PR. But it’s definitely one of the things we’d like to do. Although someone mentioned that because the kids were born here, and now that we are residents, they become citizens ?? I need to look into that before we leave. 

My husband worked for companies relating to mining but never in the mines themselves. He’s more involved with hazardous waste management. He works for Cleanaway. He’s been looking for similar work in Scotland but no luck as of yet, I have said to him to just apply for anything at the moment as a job is a job at the end of the day, it’ll get us through for a while back home until we can find something he really wants to do. I’ve worked in retail most of my life so will try to get something in that field of work again once kids have settled into school & nursery. 

We’ve decided to sell all of our home things here, beds, washing machine, dining table etc etc etc ... will be easier to save and start new once we’re back. Taking sentimental things of course. And have asked for a quote to see how much it’ll be to ship our dog & kitten back with us. I’m not quite prepared to leave them, but if we have to, I’ll deal with it 😥

Again, thanks for all the support. Will keep you updated! 

1 minute ago, jacs23 said:

Thanks so much to you all that have replied 😀 it’s been great to read your stories. 

We will have to wait until next April to apply for citizenship as it’s a year wait from when we get PR. But it’s definitely one of the things we’d like to do. Although someone mentioned that because the kids were born here, and now that we are residents, they become citizens ?? I need to look into that before we leave. 

My husband worked for companies relating to mining but never in the mines themselves. He’s more involved with hazardous waste management. He works for Cleanaway. He’s been looking for similar work in Scotland but no luck as of yet, I have said to him to just apply for anything at the moment as a job is a job at the end of the day, it’ll get us through for a while back home until we can find something he really wants to do. I’ve worked in retail most of my life so will try to get something in that field of work again once kids have settled into school & nursery. 

We’ve decided to sell all of our home things here, beds, washing machine, dining table etc etc etc ... will be easier to save and start new once we’re back. Taking sentimental things of course. And have asked for a quote to see how much it’ll be to ship our dog & kitten back with us. I’m not quite prepared to leave them, but if we have to, I’ll deal with it 😥

Again, thanks for all the support. Will keep you updated! 

you need to check, but I thought for the children to be citizens you had to already have PR status when they were born - so they may have to apply 

Unless you were PR when the kids were born they are not citizens, they will have been added to your temporary visa, and will have gained PR when you did  

If they are under 16 they get added to the parents citizenship application though so no need to apply separately for them. 

Worth the wait for citizenship though, you never know........

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacs23 said:

We will have to wait until next April to apply for citizenship as it’s a year wait from when we get PR. But it’s definitely one of the things we’d like to do.

Be warned, when you apply for citizenship, it's not finalised until you attend the citizenship ceremony.  So you'll have to stay in Australia until after the ceremony takes place.  We've seen people who've been waiting over a year.  

We’ve decided to sell all of our home things here, beds, washing machine, dining table etc etc etc ... will be easier to save and start new once we’re back. Taking sentimental things of course. And have asked for a quote to see how much it’ll be to ship our dog & kitten back with us. I’m not quite prepared to leave them, but if we have to, I’ll deal with it 😥

Hi Jackie,

We sold a lot of stuff before we moved, and put the cash towards exporting our cat.

Pets give you so much joy , you can’t put a price on it,  we’d rather have no possessions as long as we have our cat.

But I do understand that the cost for some families may be difficult.

3 hours ago, jacs23 said:

We’ve decided to sell all of our home things here, beds, washing machine, dining table etc etc etc ... will be easier to save and start new once we’re back. Taking sentimental things of course.

Look into the cost of a Movecube.  They have three sizes  The smallest one will usually work out cheaper than shipping three or four individual boxes, and you'll fit a lot more in.  It might even be worth going for a medium one, especially if you have children.

I agree it's probably not worth bringing big furniture unless it's stuff you chose carefully and you're attached to. However, I found it was the small stuff that really, really mounted up.  We don't generally buy pots, pans, cutlery, crockery, kitchen utensils, tupperware, sheets, duvets, pillows, towels, tools, sewing stuff, all at once, so we don't realise how much it's all worth.  The other issue was that it takes a heck of a long time to traipse round the shops buying all that small stuff!

We moved back last year after 8 years in Australia. 

We shipped half a container and a dog. Container was about $4,000 and the dog about $4,500. 

Was it the right choice? We will never know. But we moved so our daughter grew up around family and that part is working out well. 

We are enjoying it and in the process of buying a house. Managed to secure jobs very quickly. Earnings are on par with Aus for us but we actually find life more expensive here in general. Certain things are a bit more expensive but things like petrol and houses (south west) are far more. We came from Adelaide so houses were cheap compared. 

If you plan to arrive in August, which is also the month we arrived, you'll have a few weeks of good weather then you'll hit the winter. And it's 6 months here. Coming from winter in Aus to winter in the UK, it was a little depressing by the end of February but luckily got through it. 

All in all, I feel like I never went away for 8 years and it merely seems like a holiday, which is strange. 

18 hours ago, AliQ said:

Hi Jackie,

We fly back to the UK in two weeks time, after 28 years in Perth and a few weeks in Queensland.

We had a six month stint in the UK recently and loved every single minute.

This time, we are not paying to transport all our “stuff” been there done that once,  and it was a waste of time and money for us. And when you land it does not take long to get “ sorted”  with things such as a GP, dentist, bank etc etc.

I fully understand your delight, I am so excited I could turn myself inside out !

Good luck and enjoy your travels home.

Best of luck - choose wisely where you live 👍

12 hours ago, AliQ said:

We’ve decided to sell all of our home things here, beds, washing machine, dining table etc etc etc ... will be easier to save and start new once we’re back. Taking sentimental things of course. And have asked for a quote to see how much it’ll be to ship our dog & kitten back with us. I’m not quite prepared to leave them, but if we have to, I’ll deal with it 😥

Hi Jackie,

We sold a lot of stuff before we moved, and put the cash towards exporting our cat.

Pets give you so much joy , you can’t put a price on it,  we’d rather have no possessions as long as we have our cat.

Don't leave the pets 

On 21/05/2019 at 07:13, jacs23 said:

Hi all ... 

My husband and I are both originally from Scotland, we moved to Australia in 2011. Having moved 3 times here to various states for husbands work, hubby has now been told he’s being let go by the end of July. Such a shock for him, but in all honesty, I was a tad relieved. His work moved us from Adelaide, to Kalgoorlie and we’re now in Sydney. It’s been ok, but we’ve never really made any close friends, no one comes from the uk to visit us, our two children (7&3) don’t have cousins here to grow up with. We feel so alone! 

We’ve recently become PR, which is great after almost our whole time here on working visa’s. We waited a year for the decision and in that time I was hoping they’d decide it was a no. Simply because I wanted to go home. 

After expressing my feelings to my hubby, the whole time being in tears I might add ... he has agreed we should move back to the uk. He said it’s time to put me and the kids first for a while. I don’t think I’ve ever loved him so much in that moment 😍

We know it’s not going to be easy (or cheap) - we have to start all over again with a house, cars, schooling for the kids. But I’m so determined to make it work. 

Jackie x 

Great.  You’re doing the right thing getting out of there and heading back home to the best country on this planet.

Its great back here, economy is thriving and our life here in UK is so much better. Nothing worse than being stuck away out there on a suburb so isolated and so far away from the rest of the world.

My only advice is get packing, get them tickets booked and don’t look back.

The day we landed at Heathrow was the greatest feeling ever.

That feeling of getting your freedom back is incredible.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, AliQ said:

Hi Jackie,

Sell the furniture and appliances yes, Ours was of inferior quality and quite dated compared to the stuff you can get here anyway.  After years of what felt like living stuck in the late 1980s it was like being blasted into the future when we got here. It was a culture shock almost.

• Like 1

I have been back almost 4 years (gone in a flash) and wish you good luck. RE citizenship, you need to meet ALL requirements including the amount of time you've spent outside of Australia in the immediate 12 months before applying. Please double check your movements as i know several people caught out plus yes, you absolutely do have to attend the ceremony. Children are only citizens if they are born in Oz to at least one parent with PR. If they were born on temporary visas then no. 

I''m afraid the UK has changed greatly in the last 10 years and you will notice differences. We are living in politically unstable times, but that being said, I believe everywhere has its issues and they are for the most part global. However, you may notice certain things which, when I came back in 2010, were simply not around. I say this objectively as I love the UK and do not miss Oz at all, but 10 years of austerity have certainly taken their toll. 

Like you, I am very happy that my child is growing up experiencing all the delights of UK culture and history and feel that from here the world is their oyster. Where as in Oz, our lives were very boring and limited. I would say that we are busier here, and our lives richer, but certain things are more difficult. However, I personally do not hanker after anything in Australia. It is odd, as I spent almost 10 years there, and it feels like a chapter which never happened. 

I have found education to be more full on here but better. I'd say I (and child) can relate to the curriculum more in terms of things studied and opportunities, and I'd say children grow up faster here - not preferable, but they do seem more switched on. 

We had a great summer last year - this one doesn't look like it's going to hit the same spot, but I still find post Xmas really hard. The lack of light more than heat - I advise taking Vit D if you need it. 

I would never swap the proximity of friends, family, the feeling of 'getting' things and 'fitting in' and people having the same sense of humour. Also, the TV is just excellent at the moment! 

Good luck. I'm sure you won't regret it but do double check things if you want citizenship. the travel facility on PR only lasts 5 years. 

• Like 6

On 21/05/2019 at 07:13, jacs23 said:

Hi all ... 

Jackie x 

Ultimately Jackie- it will be worth it .

Some great places to live in Scotland. 

What , honestly swings it for me , is the trips to Europe. 

Not benidorm or ibiza for a week , but the many other places full of scenery. history and culture .

Flights can be really cheap ,as well 

Best of luck 

• Like 1

On 25/05/2019 at 10:55, thinker78 said:

Like you, I am very happy that my child is growing up experiencing all the delights of UK culture and history and feel that from here the world is their oyster. Where as in Oz, our lives were very boring and limited. I would say that we are busier here, and our lives richer, but certain things are more difficult. However, I personally do not hanker after anything in Australia. It is odd, as I spent almost 10 years there, and it feels like a chapter which never happened.

If I had kids I would never wish that sort of empty existence on them...stuck out there so far away from the really happening stuff.....gigs, festivals, nightlife, social life, pub scene....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Home and Happy said:

If I had kids I would never wish that sort of empty existence on them...stuck out there so far away from the really happening stuff.....gigs, festivals, nightlife, social life, pub scene....

you missed off austerity and frequent terrorist attacks from your really happening stuff. 

4 hours ago, Home and Happy said:

We had two children here.  Born in Perth, brought up in Sydney.  They sailed through life happily.  Had a bunch of good friends, finished uni, got good jobs, met their partners.  Both had a great social life.  They took the chance to live and work overseas and are having a great time with good experiences.  One of them will be back.  Who knows what the other one will do.  Life is an adventure.  Not everybody gets stuck in a rut.

• Like 4