Nursing registration and work visa

MichelleF92

Hi, my registration with AHPRA is still processing. I am wondering if the next step once I am registered with the NMBA will be to apply for a visa (190/189/TSS) before I can get a job? Am I correct in understanding that the whole visa application process might take up to 6 months for 189/190 and 50 days for TSS?

I am 27 years old with 3 years of critical care experience and meet the minimum band 7 requirement for ielts.

10 minutes ago, MichelleF92 said:

Hi, my registration with AHPRA is still processing. I am wondering if the next step once I am registered with the NMBA will be to apply for a visa (190/189/TSS) before I can get a job? Am I correct in understanding that the whole visa application process might take up to 6 months for 189/190 and 50 days for TSS?

I am 27 years old with 3 years of critical care experience and meet the minimum band 7 requirement for ielts.

The time will depend on which of the visas you opt for, how many points you have and luck of the draw.

I would say though that your six month expectation is too short, there are people who have been waiting longer to be invited to apply than that, and then once invited the period to actually process the visa seems to be around 8 months at present. From where you are unless you choose the TSS I would think you are still a year away (the 190 might speed things up a little but it's not a given and certainly it's unlikely to speed it up to less than 6 months)

A TSS would also require a company / hospital to sponsor you. This isn't a given any more as nursing jobs are not as plentiful as they used to be. 

I would also advise you to look at that route if you fully understand the implications of that visa. Most importantly that it is a temporary visa with the expectation you will be leaving at the end. 

18 hours ago, MichelleF92 said:

For the 189 you don’t need a job before applying for a visa , just a positive skills assessment, for state sponsorship you will need to check what the requirements are for each state re having a job , some may require it , also for 190 some states like Victoria require at least registration in principal with AHPRA before you apply for 190 

most employers now will require your visa to be granted before you are considered for employment, there isn’t a shortage of nurses in Australia, and most employers will only consider applicants who have the right to work in Australia already 

Edited by shaunfreo
Added