Citizenship reforms under the Coalition Government? (2019)

millski88

Hi all

As many of you will remember, in April 2017 Malcolm Turnbull and Peter Dutton announced their Australian Citizenship Legislation Amendment Bill, which then failed to pass with the Senate later the same year. The changes included stricter english language requirements and an increase in PR requirement for citizenship by conferral from 1 year to 4 years.

Although I'm not yet able to vote, I kept a close eye on the election and was reading up on any immigration-related statements made by Scott Morrison and Bill Shorten. The whole subject of changes to citizenship and visa pathways has seemed to quieten down for now, but given the election result i'm wondering where this might be on the coalition government's agenda. 

There's not an awful lot of discussion online regarding this, aside from an SBS article posted in January which summarises the 2017 bill and gives some insight in to the requirements to pass a similar bill in future. 

Would anyone more politically minded than me be willing to share their 2 cents or predictions on whether this is now likely to show it's head again, given the election result? Or is it off the table given their inability to pass it back in 2017.

Tom