Can you apply for consecutive 155/157 RRVs?

britinoz4

Hey folks,

Thinking ahead to when I'll need to extend my RRV attached to my permanent residency. I'm planning to spend some time overseas so there's a chance I won't qualify for the 5 year RRV as I may not have been in Oz 2 years out of the 5 on my current RRV. If this is the case and I get a 1 year RRV instead, can I apply for another one after that year comes to an end? Can you effectively just keep on getting 1 year RRVs indefinitely (not that I'd want to do this but just wondering).

Thanks!

Agreed - "indefinitely" is stretching it, but as long as you can continue to demonstrate that you have "substantial business, cultural, employment or personal ties with Australia which are of benefit to Australia" and you come back fairly regularly, then you remain eligible for a one year RRV under current rules. As Marisa says, policy suggests that "In general, it becomes increasingly difficult to demonstrate substantial ties of benefit over extended periods of absence. This is in part because the longer the period of absence the more difficult it is to continue to maintain ties of sufficient import to be considered ‘substantial’."

9 minutes ago, britinoz4 said:

Thanks both. Makes sense. My girlfriend is Australian so I'd be relying on that connection plus a future job offer to help me secure the RRV. Combination of employment and personal ties which I'd hope would be enough 😕 

Hope doesn't equal certainty. What will you do if you get refused?