schools in Sydney/Manly

simon t

Dear all - first post here. looks like a friendly forum so here goes:

wife and I moving to Sydney (for a job at University) in January :spinny: - we have three kids, 13, 11, 8 and a major factor in deciding where to live is schools. so far we have thought about the North Shore/Northern Beaches (the commute's crap, but we like the sea so Manly, seaforth, balgowlah, that sort of thing) - or Cronulla-to-como. Does anyone have experience of state schools or catholic schools in these areas? thoughts very welcome!

best wishes

simon t

Guest laurafireman

hi jo and anyone else who's hanging about in sydney and able to help with some tedious schools info! were moving over next march with twin babies - 4 months old now, and obviously i'm trying to find good pre schools etc. we're probably moving to maroubra at first , but will hope to zoom up to curl curl or naraweena after we're settled.

i just wondered really if as poms, we are eligible for the state system in oz>? if so. is it any good?! or just like uk?! ie - need private schools! if so, are private schools really expensive?\

and what sort of rental prices are there on properties in sydney now? northern beaches or manly, maroubra etc. just wondered. thought i'd ask for answers from the horses' mouths so to speak!

thanks alot

laura

x

Guest laurafireman

Wow! what amazing advice, and so thourough Jo! Thanks so much. I'll have a look through all that and get onto the website amnd hopefully get the kids educated beyond drinking VB and eating barbied prawns! I might be in touch again to ask you yet more pearls of wisdom.

x

ps - yes - twins and moving! It's crazy! the babies are actually 14 months, not 4. so that helps a bit - ie- they walk everywhere themselves an dodn;t need carting about as much as they did. I might even put them in a sea container to get over here±! speaking of shiwch.... any tips on who to use to ship stuff over?

Guest Dave 'n' Sam

Hi guys, as introduction we are coming over to Sydney in January on a 457 visa as well and looking to live in the Northern Beaches/North Shore and our main concern is schooling really as well. We have twin girls who will be 4 when we arrive and a 7 week old baby son so we will be looking to put our girls into pre-school (or the Oz equivalent). We are just a bit concerned about getting the girls places in pre-school as I imagine its as difficult in Sydney as it is back home (ie you have to apply months in advance). Can anyone help on the pre-school side of things.

Many thanks in advance

Dave ' n' Sam

Guest lynneunderwood

Hi there we are moving to Sydney end of August and have lots of family in Forestville|(very nice) but we fancy living by the sea we have a 2.5 year old and we were thinking of Narrabeen/Collaroy or Collaroy Plateau which one best for schools, funcommute etc cheers Lynneeeeeee

Guest lynneunderwood
Hi Lynne, we are living on Collaroy beach and we love it! My son attends Narrabeen Lakes public school, a lovely little school with great facillities and teachers, most importantly they have made us feel welcome and he is very happy and settled there. You will be spoilt for choice in the areas you are looking. There is Narrabeen North, Narrabeen Lakes, Collaroy Plateau and Wheeler Heights all very good schools, you will only know yourself by going in and looking and seeing first hand. It's not like the UK though where you have to put down your childs name years in advance so you have plenty time to look! They all have their own websites with tonnes of info so just google the schools and check them out. Good luck with your move! Jo

Thanks Jo for the advice its given me a real lift and got me all xcited to go,as with all the organising with dog,furniture,motor bike we are getting a bit bogged down and tending to forget about the good bits and thats an xciting new adventure mayb I willl bump into you in Collaroy take care Lynneeeeeeeee p.s we are emigrating from Ireland :jiggy:

Guest lynneunderwood
Hi Lynne! What part of Ireland? I lived in Navan Co.Meath for 15 years, my parents still there before moving back to UK where I was born. Guess am a born wanderer!! Keep in touch would nice to bump into you and help with the transition! I know how you feel so much to do and so little time!!

Hi again I am from Dublin and the hubbie is from Essex, but we live in Wicklow v bored of country life and feel we need excitement and a challenge so I sold my business,renting out our House as no move on sale, and we coming out there 29 august , how long are you there and do you love it. Also how is the spider situation where you are!!! I nearly bought a spider catcher today how sad is that ha ha! not worried about me just baby and how safe he will b playing in the garden:policeman:

Guest nareyclan
Dear all - first post here. looks like a friendly forum so here goes:

wife and I moving to Sydney (for a job at University) in January :spinny: - we have three kids, 13, 11, 8 and a major factor in deciding where to live is schools. so far we have thought about the North Shore/Northern Beaches (the commute's crap, but we like the sea so Manly, seaforth, balgowlah, that sort of thing) - or Cronulla-to-como. Does anyone have experience of state schools or catholic schools in these areas? thoughts very welcome!

best wishes

simon t

Hi Simon

How is the search for a home and schools? We are in the same situation. Moving out to Syndey in Jan. I have the job sorted out, but as you will appreciate getting the schools and area correct is a worry. We have 2 girls, Caitlin 10 and Fabienne 3. Could you let us know how you get on and we will do the same if we find anything good.

The website below has been helpful for us. We have been looking at the maps of the schools compared to the relevant areas on the estate agent websites, mainly Domian.

www.australianschoolsdirectory.com.au/educationinformation.

Anyway we hope this helps

Ray and Hayley

hi ray and hayley

apologies for the delay in replying - its a bit mental here trying to sell houses, negotiate contracts, etc.

we have been impressed by two school so far on the north shore: Killara High and Killarney Heights Public School - which has bilingual (french/english) primary (other half is french) - these seem to be in areas we can afford on our budget and with our needs - 5 members of family and 1 salary! be good to swap info if you have any. We are heading out early November for a scout around and ideally would have 4/5 schools to look at before start of year in January. The other area we are lookig at is the southern strip between Como and Cronulla - which also has a train line to get to CBD where i will be working.

all the best

simon

Jo - any idea what the commute to CBD is like from where you live? - i agree it looks like a great part of Sydney (but i imagine the commute is horrendous ...) - do you know anyone who cycles in from there (other half gets the car ...)?

best

simon

Guest nareyclan

Hi Simon

Not much to report on the school research so far however I have a friend who regularly visits Sydney, and more specifically Cronulla. the Journey time is about 40 minutes to CBD by train. I don't know how often the service runs.

fair wind and following sea

Guest Sunsh1ne

Hello all

Hoping I will be able to help in someway.

We moved here mid May - started by staying temporarily in Cromer and now have found somewhere more permanent (for a little while) in Freshwater / Harbord. It's a lovely area - very villagy - about 45 mins from the CBD by express bus and it's not the same as London commuting (I'm from Essex) - much more laid back - less crowded - alot less crowded. You have the city and the beach at weekends.

Anyhow schools. My son has just turned 5 and my daughter 3. My son started at Harbord Public School 2 weeks ago - so far, and I admit it's early days however he is having a great time - I'm so surprised he's settled so quickly and easily after such a short time however he's teacher has been absolutely amazing and so caring. There are 20 children in the class (this is the max amount - Jannie was the last one in) and the room is spacious, clean and obviously well maintained. The teacher has spent lots of time with us keeping us informed and checking in.

It's been much harder to find a preschool / kindy for my daughter - they all seem to be booked up with waiting lists - and they are not cheap either - roughly $80 a day although depending what visa you are on 50% of this can be reclaimed.

Hope this is helpful and if you have any questions feel free to ask and I'll try to help.

Sunsh1ne

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Bridgend Lad

I was goign to reply than I saw Sunsh1ne's post and that pretty much sums up the place.

My eldest is 5 and she;s in Narraweena Public School, very much the same opinion as the above post, so totally recommended. Getting the same issue with the 3 year old regarding child care but she is booked in now for later in the year but I agree, not cheap.

Hope this helps!

Martin, Amanda, Rhiannon and Lowri

• 3 years later...
Guest Relocate Northern Beaches

Hi yes I agree with all the above all the schools are nice here on the beaches but i suggest you visit at least 3 or 4 to get a feel for it.They are each different in their own way

457 families have to pay the fee and get an authority to enrol form signed by the Principal

The principals that i speak to on a regular basis are very friendly and used to families moving over from the Northern Hempishere.

All of the Public Schools on the Beaches enforce their catchment area so if you are really serious about a particular school you will need to rent in that area

Remember your child can start school up to the year they turn 6 ( cut off 31st July)

Catholic schools also offer discounts for more than one child.

Pre schools in this area are very hard to get into but if your child is over 4 they will priority over a wait list .

pre schools here are hard to get hold of as many do not have websites

i suggest you try to contact them ASAP

There are some with do hold spaces for relocating families so explain your situation

Hi yes I agree with all the above all the schools are nice here on the beaches but i suggest you visit at least 3 or 4 to get a feel for it.They are each different in their own way

457 families have to pay the fee and get an authority to enrol form signed by the Principal

The principals that i speak to on a regular basis are very friendly and used to families moving over from the Northern Hempishere.

All of the Public Schools on the Beaches enforce their catchment area so if you are really serious about a particular school you will need to rent in that area

Remember your child can start school up to the year they turn 6 ( cut off 31st July)

Catholic schools also offer discounts for more than one child.

Pre schools in this area are very hard to get into but if your child is over 4 they will priority over a wait list .

pre schools here are hard to get hold of as many do not have websites

i suggest you try to contact them ASAP

There are some with do hold spaces for relocating families so explain your situation

Are you aware this thread is over three years old? Most of those kids will be in high school by now. :wink:

Guest Relocate Northern Beaches

Ah yes!well its good advice for anyone else

Love to hear how it all turned out wouldn't you?

• 2 years later...

Hi,

The primary schools in the Northern Beaches are generally excellent - we're at Frenchs Forest Primary and boys and us are very happy with it, all the schools have excellent reputations with the exception of Dee Why and Brookvale (but even then Brookvale has a new head and is getting good feedback now). There are plenty of catholic primary schools too - My friend sends her boys to St Marys in Manly, and is also very happy. Maybe check out http://bettereducation.com.au/ and http://www.myschool.edu.au/ - will give you an idea of sizes and how well they do generally.

Secondary schools are more of a problem, there aren't a great deal, public - Killarney Heights, Davidson, Frenchs Forest and Manly Selective (all good). I would avoid Cromer and Narrabeen from what I have heard. Catholic Secondary - in the area (Northern Beaches) they are single sex, which I am not a fan, but I have heard that St Augustines (boys at Brookvale) and Stella Maris (girls at Manly) are both excellent.

Good luck with the decision making!

Archived