AHPRA Registration for 190

Please bear with me, I just typed all this out and it disappeared [emoji33]

I've searched through the forums, already found loads of info, but could still use some help in some specific areas.

Background - I'm hoping to apply for state sponsorship with VIC as a Podiatrist next year (Nurses please read on, as there are more of you than Pods, and AHPRA is the same for both us with respect to my questions). I plan to gain registration in principle before flying to Australia for a ridiculously short visit where I will present to AHPRA to gain full registration.

Here goes....

1. How long do I need to stay in the country?

- I will be in a hotel or other temp accommodation which I will have to use as my address. If registration is sent by post after presenting at their home office, will I need to stay until this has been completed? Could make planning the return flight tricky [emoji848]

2. Is changing my address to a UK address straightforward?

- Don't really want any additional official correspondence going to a hotel [emoji849]

3. What happens between full registration and landing in Australia permanently?

- Even if we get a fast visa grant, I highly doubt we will be moving within my first registration period due to "life".

I'm wondering about whether to come home and change my registration to non practicing (which I believe is suitable for those practicing abroad under HCPC/ANMAC etc). Does this sound right, I've not read about anyone doing this, but also understand that many people fly over just for registration, but still have the visa and migration process to deal with, so what do those people do with their registration??

Thanks to anyone who has made it to the bottom!! And if anyone can help, I hope it will help others too [emoji6]

Shelley

6 minutes ago, GiveAGirlShoes said:

Please bear with me, I just typed all this out and it disappeared emoji33.png

I've searched through the forums, already found loads of info, but could still use some help in some specific areas.

Background - I'm hoping to apply for state sponsorship with VIC as a Podiatrist next year (Nurses please read on, as there are more of you than Pods, and AHPRA is the same for both us with respect to my questions). I plan to gain registration in principle before flying to Australia for a ridiculously short visit where I will present to AHPRA to gain full registration.

Here goes....

1. How long do I need to stay in the country?

- I will be in a hotel or other temp accommodation which I will have to use as my address. If registration is sent by post after presenting at their home office, will I need to stay until this has been completed? Could make planning the return flight tricky emoji848.png

2. Is changing my address to a UK address straightforward?

- Don't really want any additional official correspondence going to a hotel emoji849.png

3. What happens between full registration and landing in Australia permanently?

- Even if we get a fast visa grant, I highly doubt we will be moving within my first registration period due to "life".

I'm wondering about whether to come home and change my registration to non practicing (which I believe is suitable for those practicing abroad under HCPC/ANMAC etc). Does this sound right, I've not read about anyone doing this, but also understand that many people fly over just for registration, but still have the visa and migration process to deal with, so what do those people do with their registration??

Thanks to anyone who has made it to the bottom!! And if anyone can help, I hope it will help others too emoji6.png

Shelley

Good to hear how you are getting on. Can’t help with your questions but hope all goes well, you deserve it.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ramot said:

Good to hear how you are getting on. Can’t help with your questions but hope all goes well, you deserve it.

You can use temporary Australian address when you attend to complete registration process 

You only have to stay for as long as that takes but its a good idea to stay until your registration is active on the AHPRA database this is usually quite quick

Once registered you can create an online account and change your address easily 

Once registered (for nurses and midwives don't know if its the same for you but imagine it would be) registrations are renewed every May, its all online, you complete the application pay the fee and its renewed. You could be picked for random audit though

I wouldn't advise changing registration status to non practising as you would have to go through some hoops to change it back again, easier just to renew annually and keep it active

• Like 1

So it says 10 days online, and advice thus far is stay until its final, which makes sense.
So.... I have a 2 week trip to plan, unless I wing it and just get the state nomination through while I have provisional registration. I wonder if it needs to stay valid throughout the visa application too (as most other things do)? Think that's an agent question, and I probably already know the answer tbh

I presented in person and AHPRA assured me I would be on the online register. I went for 10 days and I was on the register within that time. I have just renewed my registration in May as It's easier to keep it once you have it. Like someone else mentioned changing your address for your correspondence is easy and straight forward. 

Good Luck with it all.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GiveAGirlShoes said:

So it says 10 days online, and advice thus far is stay until its final, which makes sense.
So.... I have a 2 week trip to plan, unless I wing it and just get the state nomination through while I have provisional registration. I wonder if it needs to stay valid throughout the visa application too (as most other things do)? Think that's an agent question, and I probably already know the answer tbh

The visa application is separate, you obviously need a positive skill assessment to apply for visa, but you don’t need to have actually registered before visa grant 

• Like 2

Thanks, but I do for the 190 nomination as far as I can see. Registration in principle is fine, but it's a complex system with lots of moving parts and only a 90 day window [emoji19]

For the actual visa though, yes, I don't think the government care, but I'm not well versed on whether my eligibility for the state nomination can lapse during the visa process (by no longer having registration), or whether the state just passes it on and waits for me to land [emoji23] I can direct these questions to my agent, but we're at the start of such a long process with so much uncertainty that now isn't the time... I'm just being impatient and trying to get a feel for the things to come

1 hour ago, GiveAGirlShoes said:

And it's early, apologies. I've just read what you said again I think you were implying that my registration won't be checked emoji16.png

For the visa process they require a positive skills assessment, but you don’t have to have full registration with AHPRA to get a positive assessment as it’s not assessed by AHPRA 

i understand that the only difference between a 189 and 190 is that you are sponsored by a state and gain points for that , and have to comply with any other undertakings they require like living in the state for 2 years , but yes check with your agent as the state you are applying to may require that you are registered as a condition 

Edited by shaunfreo
Addit
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, shaunfreo said:

For the visa process they require a positive skills assessment, but you don’t have to have full registration with AHPRA to get a positive assessment as it’s not assessed by AHPRA 

i understand that the only difference between a 189 and 190 is that you are sponsored by a state and gain points for that , and have to comply with any other undertakings they require like living in the state for 2 years , but yes check with your agent as the state you are applying to may require that you are registered as a condition 

I missed it yes you are applying to Vic who do require at least registration in principle 

• Like 1