Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Jon the Hat

Accounting Qualification - CPA

Recommended Posts

Hi there

For all you accountants out there - is it worth applying for CPA membership under the mutual recognition agreement with CIMA?  I am thinking it may help overcome the potential not getting past the first round of Resume review due to not having worked in Australia (although 14 years for an ASX listed group).  Your thoughts and experiences welcome.


PR (100) planning to move to Perth by then end of 2019!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/05/2019 at 01:25, Jon the Hat said:

Hi there

For all you accountants out there - is it worth applying for CPA membership under the mutual recognition agreement with CIMA?  I am thinking it may help overcome the potential not getting past the first round of Resume review due to not having worked in Australia (although 14 years for an ASX listed group).  Your thoughts and experiences welcome.

I went through the MRA to get CPA, and for first two years was irrelevant as I contracted back to former employer. 

I ended up being approached by an Australian company via LinkedIn, and I would hope that the CPA helped get my profile in the target range.

It really depends on your field, for me it feels more box ticking than value added 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/06/2019 at 09:09, Ferrets said:

I went through the MRA to get CPA, and for first two years was irrelevant as I contracted back to former employer. 

I ended up being approached by an Australian company via LinkedIn, and I would hope that the CPA helped get my profile in the target range.

It really depends on your field, for me it feels more box ticking than value added 😉

Thanks Ferrets.  We are hoping to live in Perth, so getting a job is going to be critical.  I am working for an ASX listed company, but no presence in Perth and few jobs at my level anyhow, so we are going it alone. I may have to step down to a senior manager role to get work I guess, but for the right company that isn't a drama.


PR (100) planning to move to Perth by then end of 2019!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Thanks Ferrets.  We are hoping to live in Perth, so getting a job is going to be critical.  I am working for an ASX listed company, but no presence in Perth and few jobs at my level anyhow, so we are going it alone. I may have to step down to a senior manager role to get work I guess, but for the right company that isn't a drama.

LinkedIn is an important resource


Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×