Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

indispc

Are skilled tradie occupations less competitive?

Recommended Posts

I'm forming a long-term plan to gain PR in Australia.

Based on what I've read most office and ICT occupations are highly competitive, while tradie occupations go unfilled.  I currently have less than 3 years work experience in a skilled occupation.  Thus my tentative plan is to gain 3-5 years work experience in one of these fields (bricklayer or tiler) and get certified.

Is this approach wise?

With the cut off at 80, 90 pts for office/ICT occupations, I don't believe I'd ever get an invite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, indispc said:

I'm forming a long-term plan to gain PR in Australia.

Based on what I've read most office and ICT occupations are highly competitive, while tradie occupations go unfilled.  I currently have less than 3 years work experience in a skilled occupation.  Thus my tentative plan is to gain 3-5 years work experience in one of these fields (bricklayer or tiler) and get certified.

Is this approach wise?

With the cut off at 80, 90 pts for office/ICT occupations, I don't believe I'd ever get an invite.

It's certainly possible to still get state sponsored invites for office jobs on 65 points, so it all depends on what your office based career is and how much you mind being tied to a state.

The "you won't stand a chance unless you have 80+ points" mantra isn't true, it's certainly much easier the more points you have (and for accountants it probably is true), but ultimately if you don't out your application in you'll never get an invite

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't say there is generally any difference as there are only a few occupations which usually need high points such as accountant. On the flip side, in the years I have been on the forum, a number of trades have been removed for periods. For example, bricklayer was not on the lists for years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the advice.

I'm following the published stats on invitation rounds here: https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/working-in-australia/skillselect/invitation-rounds

but there's no data on tradie occupations.  Is there somewhere else where they publish more data on this?

Also they don't publish how many people are still waiting to get selected.  For example, the site says that the occupation ceiling for bricklayer is 1594 with only 11 invites so far this year.  Does this mean there were only 11 qualified applicants?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My guess as to why fewer trades may have been invited is the high points currently needed. At the moment no invitations have been given on less than 75 points. Given that to get 75 would often mean having a degree, it might be hard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But why set the ceiling at 1594 when they have no intention of bringing in anywhere near that many?  I'm left quite confused.  I suspect the hype about labor shortage is misleading.

Had similar experience when I did WHV 5 years ago.  Surplus of backpackers seeking work, very little actual demand for labor.  Employers who were supposedly desperate for work were turning people away by the dozen, demanding job bonds, ads asking for Asians only, putting various other unusual conditions on workers.  It was more like they just wanted to toy with 'the help' than an actual labor shortage.  *sigh*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, indispc said:

But why set the ceiling at 1594 when they have no intention of bringing in anywhere near that many?  I'm left quite confused.  I suspect the hype about labor shortage is misleading.

Had similar experience when I did WHV 5 years ago.  Surplus of backpackers seeking work, very little actual demand for labor.  Employers who were supposedly desperate for work were turning people away by the dozen, demanding job bonds, ads asking for Asians only, putting various other unusual conditions on workers.  It was more like they just wanted to toy with 'the help' than an actual labor shortage.  *sigh*

If they are openly advertising for "Asians only" they are breaking the law.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, indispc said:

But why set the ceiling at 1594 when they have no intention of bringing in anywhere near that many?  I'm left quite confused.  I suspect the hype about labor shortage is misleading.

Just curious, where are you seeing hype about labour shortages? You certainly don’t see it in Australia. 


Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Just curious, where are you seeing hype about labour shortages? You certainly don’t see it in Australia. 

When it comes to agriculture the cry of labour shortage is almost ubiquitous.  Just do google search for "australia farm labor shortage."

This was the article I read about a skilled tradie occupation shortage:

https://www.sbs.com.au/yourlanguage/punjabi/en/article/2018/11/09/no-takers-thousands-australian-permanent-residency-visas

But something doesn't quite jive with reality in that article, and I can't figure out what.  Is it that there aren't many applicants, or they're just not inviting many?  Or, as the article suggests, are tradies just not using SkillSelect because they don't have enough points?

32 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

If they are openly advertising for "Asians only" they are breaking the law.

Obviously illegal, but it was an online ad so virtually impossible to enforce.  I suspect it was an off shore agent which is how most Asians arrange their WHV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, indispc said:

This was the article I read about a skilled tradie occupation shortage:

https://www.sbs.com.au/yourlanguage/punjabi/en/article/2018/11/09/no-takers-thousands-australian-permanent-residency-visas

But something doesn't quite jive with reality in that article, and I can't figure out what.  Is it that there aren't many applicants, or they're just not inviting many? 

Yes, I felt the same.  It seemed the writer was looking at the low number of invitations and deducing that there can't have been many applicants - which is flawed logic. 

I suspect part of the issue is that we have an Immigration Minister who hates immigrants.

Edited by Marisawright

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/05/2019 at 03:56, indispc said:

But why set the ceiling at 1594 when they have no intention of bringing in anywhere near that many?  I'm left quite confused.  I suspect the hype about labor shortage is misleading.

The issue is that right now they are actually inviting very few 189 applicants regardless of career code.

75+ is the absolute minimum right now to get an invite which you can't do without a degree and beging youthful.ist tradies don't have a degree and have worked a decent while to become skilled so very few have 75+ points.

If there was enough people in your trade on 80+ points then all the positions for the year would be filled.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×