Help to return to uk after 30 years

Livvy52

Hi all, I’m new here so please forgive me if I get things wrong as I’m not tech savvy. 

I would like some advice/information on returning back to UK after 30 years in Qld. I’ve been unsettled here for about 14 years, but I lost my Husband 18 months ago and the feeling of wanting to go back is more intense than ever. My late Husbands family say they will help me get re established, but I don’t like to put people out. I receive both the Aus and British pension and can only  rent on my return to UK. I’m 66 years old. I do have 2 Sons here and for whatever reason they tell me they hate me and when Dad died, I died too and they have no parents. This family feud has been going on for sometime and my Sons tell me I have to take the punishment for their Dad. All I ever remember was that they were brought up with such love. I’m still at a loss as to what I’ve done. It was Mother’s Day this past Sunday and I got absolutely nothing. I don’t have friends as my Husband and I only ever needed each other and had been together since we were 16. So my question is, do you think I can do it? Will I manage money wise? My brother in law says to go for a holiday first. I don’t intend to take furniture with me, which should keep the initial cost down. I’m hoping with my pensions it’s just a case of a recalculation. Will I be entitled to rent assistance and help with rates? I suffer from anxiety and this is a big thing for me, but I don’t want to be unhappy anymore.Thanks for reading

Hi Livvy - welcome to the forum. 

Sorry to hear about the loss of your husband and the difficulties with your sons - I can only imagine how much this adds to your sense of loneliness and desire to return.  I can't offer advice having not made the move back - but there are a lot of members who are very knowledgeable about what needs to be done to make this a reality for you.  @Marisawright has made the move to UK (and back) and will be able to answer a lot of your questions and give you some practical advice and also raise some questions for you to consider.

Have you got people you know well in the UK Livvy apart from your brother in law? I think he is right to say check it out with a holiday first before you commit.  Is there absolutely no chance of restoring relations with either of your sons? It is a big step to leave them and never see them. In reality as you get older you may find the long distance to travel to and from Australia is just too much so you do need to be very sure that you are doing the right thing.  Not too helpful, I know, but do think very carefully. Qld is very hot in Summer- maybe you are missing the cooler weather? 

21 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

Have you got people you know well in the UK Livvy apart from your brother in law? I think he is right to say check it out with a holiday first before you commit.  Is there absolutely no chance of restoring relations with either of your sons? It is a big step to leave them and never see them. In reality as you get older you may find the long distance to travel to and from Australia is just too much so you do need to be very sure that you are doing the right thing.  Not too helpful, I know, but do think very carefully. Qld is very hot in Summer- maybe you are missing the cooler weather? 

I've been corresponding with Livvy and from what she has told me, there is absolutely no chance of reconciliation, much to her regret.

Edited by Marisawright

10 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I've been corresponding with Livvy and from what she has told me, there is absolutely no chance of reconciliation, much to her regret.

That's sad @Livvy52  please do let us know of your progress in going back and good luck.

• Like 1