Potential family of 3 move

HanW

Hi! I have been back in England a year after around 2.5 years living in WA - I loved it but unfortunately couldn’t afford to stay and headed back home. I am incredibly glad I did however, as I met my amazing partner and we’re now expecting our first baby together. 

However, I really want to move back, and my partner is all for a change of scenery and lifestyle (I’m fairly certain the lifestyle over there is better suited to him than here is). Our aim is to move before our little one turns 5 and is in mainstream education - so we have a few years yet! We’re both willing to attain new qualifications/experience in new areas to match skilled visa jobs and requirements as at present we’re both just hospitality workers.

How easy would this be? Has anybody else  been in a similar situation? Any help or advice would be amazing! 

Thank you :)

Congratulations on the baby.  It's really difficult to predict how easy/hard it will be to get a visa in 5 years time.  As you're probably aware the rules change so quickly and it's becoming harder with more and more hoops to jump through in order to gain a visa.  Currently for some jobs whilst e.g. 60 points is eligible for an EOI - the reality is that only those with 70 plus are being invited.  It also depends on who wins this and subsequent elections in how they want to manage immigration.

If you're going to be retraining, then choose a career that you would be happy continuing in the UK - jobs are being removed from the skills lists all the time and some like nursing have less jobs available on the market than some years ago in part because Australia is producing it's own graduates.  Teaching requires a 4 year degree and all will require some post qualification experience.   .

What visa were you on before?

20 minutes ago, ali said:

Congratulations on the baby.  It's really difficult to predict how easy/hard it will be to get a visa in 5 years time.  As you're probably aware the rules change so quickly and it's becoming harder with more and more hoops to jump through in order to gain a visa.  Currently for some jobs whilst e.g. 60 points is eligible for an EOI - the reality is that only those with 70 plus are being invited.  It also depends on who wins this and subsequent elections in how they want to manage immigration.

If you're going to be retraining, then choose a career that you would be happy continuing in the UK - jobs are being removed from the skills lists all the time and some like nursing have less jobs available on the market than some years ago in part because Australia is producing it's own graduates.  Teaching requires a 4 year degree and all will require some post qualification experience.   .

What visa were you on before?

Thank you very much!

I keep an eye on the rules changing, and the forever changing list of occupations - it amazes me how a job can make the list then a couple of weeks later has been taken off! 

I originally went on a working holiday and then chose to do a student visa, I attained a Certificate III in Commercial Cookery at TAFE. I was in Australia when they abolished the 457 visa so that kind of threw me, as a lot of people I spoke to said that was the best visa after a student visa.  So I think once baby is here I’ll aim to gain more experience in cookery - and hopefully my partner can gain experience in a desired occupation as he never completed education so has never had formal qualifications. 

3 hours ago, HanW said:

a lot of people I spoke to said that was the best visa after a student visa.  So I think once baby is here I’ll aim to gain more experience in cookery - and hopefully my partner can gain experience in a desired occupation as he never completed education so has never had formal qualifications. 

A lot of people are wrong.  The 457 doesn't exist any more, but even then it was just a temporary visa - and while it did offer a chance to apply for a permanent visa at the end of the contract, it was only a chance, not a certainty.  The 457 has been replaced by the 482 visa, which is the same - it only lets you stay in Australia for 2 to 4 years and then, for some occupations, there's a chance to apply for PR.  But it's so uncertain that you should plan as if it's definitely just a short stay, and if you get PR at the end, it's a bonus.

If you want to move in the next 5 years, then start work on your plans now.   If you could apply for a PR visa now, it would be ideal - the process takes about a year, then once the visa is approved you can pop over to Australia for a short holiday to validate your visa, and then you have 5 years to make the move.  But of course that depends whether your occupation is on the lists and whether you have the required experience.

I have decided to just go ahead and start my teacher training - something I wish I’d done years ago but finally feel settled and ready enough to commit to! Done research into requirements to teach in WA/visas to apply for just in case we do decide that’s where we’d like to go, but feel this is a good career to have whether staying here in England or moving to a different country. 😊

1 minute ago, HanW said:

I have decided to just go ahead and start my teacher training - something I wish I’d done years ago but finally feel settled and ready enough to commit to! Done research into requirements to teach in WA/visas to apply for just in case we do decide that’s where we’d like to go, but feel this is a good career to have whether staying here in England or moving to a different country. 😊

I think that's the right attitude, do something you've always wanted to that will fit for you irrespective of where you're living.  Are you doing primary or secondary? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ali said:

I think that's the right attitude, do something you've always wanted to that will fit for you irrespective of where you're living.  Are you doing primary or secondary? 

Thank you! I’m doing primary as that’s always been the dream - I was always scared of going to uni and ‘missing out’ on life experiences outside of education, but after 2.5 years in Oz, a wonderful partner and baby girl on the way, I feel I have a lot of experience to put into my work - and hopefully it well get us to where we want to be! 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, HanW said:

Thank you! I’m doing primary as that’s always been the dream - I was always scared of going to uni and ‘missing out’ on life experiences outside of education, but after 2.5 years in Oz, a wonderful partner and baby girl on the way, I feel I have a lot of experience to put into my work - and hopefully it well get us to where we want to be! 

Good luck - do let us know how you're getting on 

• Like 1