189 Refused

Not the email I wanted to wake up to 😭

189 (2ndry school teacher)  refused due to them disregarding 6 years on my 10 as a private tutor and therefore knocking my points from 20 to 5 for employment. Absolutely gutted!

Does anyone know if you can appeal?

Thanks in advance 

22 minutes ago, Burnsie said:

189 (2ndry school teacher)  refused due to them disregarding 6 years on my 10 as a private tutor and therefore knocking my points from 20 to 5 for employment. Absolutely gutted!

Thanks in advance 

Perhaps run it by one of the migration agents who regularly post on here

31 minutes ago, Burnsie said:

Thanks in advance 

Who was it who disregarded the employment, the skills assessing authority or the immigration department?

If it was immigration and the assessors previously thought your employment was relevant I would think a decent migration agent would be able to sort this.

If it is the skills assessing team that disregard it, then its a bit more difficult - but not insurmountable - again you would need a decent migration agent to help you re-state your case and liaise on your behalf.

What is unlikely is that either would change their mind without being convinced - either by an explanation of why it is relevant or more "concrete" evidence of the relevance

It was the immigration dept. My qualifications were Ok'd by the skills assessment people.

Basically I tutored children for 6 years who for one or another reason weren't in a school setting or needed extra help etc but they were still following the same curriculum etc

Very frustrating 😔

Can anyone recommend a migration agent please?

28 minutes ago, Burnsie said:

It was the immigration dept. My qualifications were Ok'd by the skills assessment people.

Basically I tutored children for 6 years who for one or another reason weren't in a school setting or needed extra help etc but they were still following the same curriculum etc

Very frustrating 😔

Can anyone recommend a migration agent please?

I guess this is something that every applicant needs to be aware of 

when assessing your actual visa the Department of Home Affairs do not necessarily have to agree with the skill assessment so it sounds like you over claimed points 

there are many good agents who post on this site hopefully one will respond to you 

Edited by shaunfreo
Extra

11 minutes ago, shaunfreo said:

when assessing your actual visa the Department of Home Affairs do not necessarily have to agree with the skill assessment so it sounds like you over claimed points 

there are many good agents who post on this site hopefully one will respond to you 

Yes - that's true; when I did mine I wanted to go aggressive and claim everything I could put a decent back-story to; my agent was more down-beat and said lets only claim for the things that we have cast-iron evidence and histories for - the others could be seen to be relevant, but as you are aiming at the 190 nomination the points total isn't so key so let's restrict it only to 100% over-evidenced claims.

I wasn't sure at the time but now knowing that a query is unlikely on anything we have claimed points for it does settle the nerves a little

@Burnsie Is your career open for a state nomination - if so submitting an EOI for a nominated place might mean the extra points form those 6 years aren't required anyway

10 minutes ago, shaunfreo said:

http://www.ozimmigration.com/

Paul Hand sun coast migration LTD

www.pinnoyau.com

13 hours ago, Burnsie said:

Thanks in advance 

Although a detailed review would be required for proper advice, be mindful that Private Teacher is in a different ANZSCO group (2492) to secondary school teacher (2414). As such they are not considered closely related for points purposes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes I realise that and wondered if I'd maybe named it incorrectly, as it was still teaching kids the curriculum etc just out of a school setting due to behaviour/disability issues etc both one-2-one and in groups. Just wished they'd contacted me for info if unsure as I only had a few lines to try and explain the role in my application. Cant believe they just refused without any dialogue.

1 hour ago, Burnsie said:

Yes I realise that and wondered if I'd maybe named it incorrectly, as it was still teaching kids the curriculum etc just out of a school setting due to behaviour/disability issues etc both one-2-one and in groups. Just wished they'd contacted me for info if unsure as I only had a few lines to try and explain the role in my application. Cant believe they just refused without any dialogue.

That's what they do, and that's why we are always recommending to use an agent.   The process is very unforgiving - make a mistake and they won't come back and ask, "Did you mean......?", they'll just reject the application. 

I understand that you were teaching the curriculum, but who was paying for it? If it was a UK LEA (or equivalent) you have a strong case (in my unqualified opinion) that you were still acting in the role of secondary school teacher - just not in a formal school situation. If it was the parent's who paid for it then you are a private tutor, and as you probably know in the UK (even if you teach the curriculum) there is no required qualification to be a private subject tutor - anyone can set themselves up as a tutor. As such the two can't be considered similar occupations for points experience

1 hour ago, Ausvisitor said:

I understand that you were teaching the curriculum, but who was paying for it? If it was a UK LEA (or equivalent) you have a strong case (in my unqualified opinion) that you were still acting in the role of secondary school teacher - just not in a formal school situation. If it was the parent's who paid for it then you are a private tutor, and as you probably know in the UK (even if you teach the curriculum) there is no required qualification to be a private subject tutor - anyone can set themselves up as a tutor. As such the two can't be considered similar occupations for points experience

Thanks for your reply. Whilst I understand anyone can set up being a tutor I was a tutor thru a website where I had to declare to them my qualifications and teacher number etc etc 

Anyway time to find an agent to see if they can rescue us...

Anyone know if theres a route out there as my mother lives there? 🤔

Thanks for your reply. Whilst I understand anyone can set up being a tutor I was a tutor thru a website where I had to declare to them my qualifications and teacher number etc etc 

Anyway time to find an agent to see if they can rescue us...

Anyone know if theres a route out there as my mother lives there? 🤔

If you want to contact an agent, Raul who has replied above is very highly regarded and his contact details are in his signature.

You mother being in Oz is of limited help (same process but can result in extra points providing she also meets certain criteria such as living in a regional area. It is also a provisional visa rather than PR. 

59 minutes ago, VERYSTORMY said:

If you want to contact an agent, Raul who has replied above is very highly regarded and his contact details are in his signature.

You mother being in Oz is of limited help (same process but can result in extra points providing she also meets certain criteria such as living in a regional area. It is also a provisional visa rather than PR. 

Provisional would do now tbh having had our hearts set on it for the last 18 months... 😔

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...