PTE Academic or IELTS General?

arch123

1 hour ago, arch123 said:

As part of my visa application I am going to undertake an english assessment (I am from UK) my Immigration Agent has suggested the PTE Academic or IELTS General. Would anyone recommend one over the other?

Thanks

Depends - if you are still heavily academic in your day to day life then IELTS is pretty simple.

If you are not used to writing essays every day then (ironically) PTE Academic is easier

With all due respect Ausvisitor It’s not as easy as that ,

it’s about how the test is structured 

many find IELTS hard especially the writing section it’s often the area that people drop marks on , PTE is more reliable on results but some say it’s overall harder 

google the two tests and do some practice and see which test feels more comfortable 

Even if you are a native English speaker , regardless of which test you take you will need to practice I have taught  people with degrees in English who struggled with both tests 

• Like 2

We are from the UK also and we did IELTS. If English is your first language it obviously helps but definitely do plenty of practice to get familiar with the test structure. It doesn't take much of a slip up in even one section and then you miss out on maximum points. Their web site has plenty of practice material which we found helpful. Best of luck with it.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, shaunfreo said:

With all due respect Ausvisitor It’s not as easy as that ,

it’s about how the test is structured 

many find IELTS hard especially the writing section it’s often the area that people drop marks on , PTE is more reliable on results but some say it’s overall harder 

google the two tests and do some practice and see which test feels more comfortable 

Even if you are a native English speaker , regardless of which test you take you will need to practice I have taught  people with degrees in English who struggled with both tests 

Agree with you...

To put it into context I've got a masters that is heavily English language based and got 9,9,9,7.5 (7.5 in writing) as I don't write "balanced discussion" reports anymore (haven't for about 20 years)

Took the PTE and got 90 for everything straight across the board, despite only having a day between booking and taking test.

I was of the opinion why do I need to take it surely I should get a bye given the masters in the subject, given that I then went one to "fail*" it first time I guess I got my answer as to why you don't just get given the 20 point 😉