Moving prospective spouse to Aus

I have a friend that's meet someone and wants to move them to Australia and marry them. Honestly I don't see this happening but I keep my mouth shut for now. This person is only working about 4 hours a week and the rest of their money comes from being on the dole. Has anyone on here successfully moved their partner or prospective partner here without a steady job and being on Centrelink payments? 

24 minutes ago, Curious George said:

I have a friend that's meet someone and wants to move them to Australia and marry them. Honestly I don't see this happening but I keep my mouth shut for now. This person is only working about 4 hours a week and the rest of their money comes from being on the dole. Has anyone on here successfully moved their partner or prospective partner here without a steady job and being on Centrelink payments? 

There is currently no financial requirement when applying for a Spouse or Prospective Spouse visa. 

Has this changed then because I have a co-worker whose son moved his partner here on a pmv back in 2011 and he had to sign a sponsor form and also submit proof of his employment and how much money he was making even though at the time she had $30,000. In the back. Honestly, if they don't have to prove they can afford anything this blows my mind that they will let someone just come over here to live and be on the dole. 

5 minutes ago, Curious George said:

Has this changed then because I have a co-worker whose son moved his partner here on a pmv back in 2011 and he had to sign a sponsor form and also submit proof of his employment and how much money he was making even though at the time she had $30,000. In the back. Honestly, if they don't have to prove they can afford anything this blows my mind that they will let someone just come over here to live and be on the dole. 

I don't think the none citizen would be entitled to any benefits

You can't be on the dole or get any benefits on a partner or prospective marriage visa (bar medicare which you can get on a partner visa). This is something that comes with the permanent residency. 

And unless this has changed, they don't ask for the sponsor's proof of employment or wages.

20 hours ago, Curious George said:

They used to ask for proof of income (went through that years ago) but it was dropped in recent years so the sponsor can provide detals but they are no onger a required part of the application and being on benefits does not stop someone from being the sponsor (at present, at least).

If granted, the sponsor can continue to receive benefits, but those available to the applicant are very limited for the first few years, even as PR.  

18 hours ago, TheWayOfThePony said:

You can't be on the dole or get any benefits on a partner or prospective marriage visa (bar medicare which you can get on a partner visa). This is something that comes with the permanent residency. 

And unless this has changed, they don't ask for the sponsor's proof of employment or wages.

But being on benefits in their home country does not make them ineligible for a Partner Visa. How they propose to survive over here would be for them and the sponsor to sort out, their visa would not be rejected just because they are not earning an income, as they do not even need tosay how they survive financially at home. 

There's no financial requirement for sponsorship, so it's entirely acceptable to be on Centrelink benefits and still sponsor a visa.  If your friend is claiming single benefits, they will need to update Centrelink when their relationship status changes and that may reduce the benefits they receive.

On 10/05/2019 at 15:10, Curious George said:

There's no financial assessment in the spouse visa. However the migrant partner will be ineligible to apply for benefits for 104 weeks after touch down.  So they would either need to be working themselves or their Australian partner would need to fully support them. 

I'd be more concerned whether they'd meet the genuine relationship requirement, and if they have enough evidence to support this. Even with a PMV, they would still need to go through a full spouse application after marriage which is very in depth. How long have they been together?

On 10/05/2019 at 15:10, Curious George said:

There are no income requirements to sponsor a partner.

The fact that the lodgement fee alone is over $7,000 (and increasing in July) may present an obstacle. 

If they are looking at going prospective marriage followed by a partner visa, lodgement fees will total closer to $8,500 plus Police clearances, medicals, Agent fees, airfares,etc.