Childcare subsidy on a 489 visa?

Hi there,

My family and I have just recently arrived in Adelaide. We are living in Hallet Cove and loving it so far. 

I have a job as an estimator with A landscaping company and my wife has just been offered a job as well. However the cost to put our 2 boys (3y/o and 1y/o) is $182 per day for both of them which is totally unfeasible. Does anyone know if we are entitled to childcare subsidy while on a 489 visa? 

Thanks,

Gordon 

While we both worked in the UK we received childcare vouchers as a tax free allowance on your wage which was good. I  just wondered if there was a similar allowance here. 

And yes of course we researched it before we came. My wife wasn’t going to work. She was going to stay at home with the boys but she got offered an opportunity and I was simply researching on the feasibility of it. If it doesn’t work out that’s fine we can stick with our original plan.

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, Chrisso gray said:

Hi we've recently been awarded PR to be told we don't meet the residency requirements for childcare subsidy,you have to be a resident for at least 2 years even tho we come over I  2016 on 457 visas does anyone know if this is true?

I don't know about the 2 year residency rule, but as the 457 isn't the temporary visa that is included in the subsidy.  There are certain temp visa's but these are protection type visas, otherwise you have to have been a PR

6 minutes ago, ali said:

I don't know about the 2 year residency rule, but as the 457 isn't the temporary visa that is included in the subsidy.  There are certain temp visa's but these are protection type visas, otherwise you have to have been a PR

We have pr now didn’t realise there was a waiting period

I can't find any information that the childcare subsidy falls into the two year requirements - have you asked them directly?  The two year wait (according to the website is for carer payments and parental leave.  It's possibly that the subsidy doesn't fall into the waiting category.

That’s what we thought we asked them yesterday was on the phone for 2 hrs like they were struggling to find it but that’s what the lady said I’ve been looking all over the website and cannot find anywhere that we’re not entitled to it,it’s gonna be a struggle another 2 years paying for this then she goes to school anyway.😪

7 minutes ago, ali said:

I can't find any information that the childcare subsidy falls into the two year requirements - have you asked them directly?  The two year wait (according to the website is for carer payments and parental leave.  It's possibly that the subsidy doesn't fall into the waiting category.

When we became PR there was no 2 year wait for childcare subsidy (but was for other benefits). This was 5 years ago. Id check again just in case the person you spoke to made a mistake

Yes this is a recent change, PR holders now have to wait 2 (or 4) years to access certain payments such as CCS and paid parental leave. I would imagine that temporary visa holders are therefore ineligible. 

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/topics/newly-arrived-residents-waiting-period/30726

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/child-care-subsidy/who-can-get-it/residence-rules/residence-descriptions#livinginaustralia

Edited by Wonderingaloud
Added link

6 hours ago, Wonderingaloud said:

Yes this is a recent change, PR holders now have to wait 2 (or 4) years to access certain payments such as CCS and paid parental leave. I would imagine that temporary visa holders are therefore ineligible. 

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/topics/newly-arrived-residents-waiting-period/30726

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/child-care-subsidy/who-can-get-it/residence-rules/residence-descriptions#livinginaustralia

I can’t find anything on these links that says CCS is subject to the waiting period nor via any other internet searches, it would be useful to get a definitive answer for other members who might be affected so Chrisso Gray maybe just apply and see what happens, you never know!

Edited by Phoenix16

8 hours ago, Phoenix16 said:

I can’t find anything on these links that says CCS is subject to the waiting period nor via any other internet searches, it would be useful to get a definitive answer for other members who might be affected so Chrisso Gray maybe just apply and see what happens, you never know!

We did apply and we are appealing this is disgraceful seeing tho we are now permanent residents.

14 hours ago, Wonderingaloud said:

Yes but we are not temporary residents anymore we are now permanent when we applied.

The point I was making is if it’s not available to PR holders I highly doubt it will be for temporary residents. 

My earlier post was advising the OP to apply anyway and see what happens. He did and it was declined. Given the wait period is applicable to a lot of government payments, it shouldn’t be a surprise CCS is included, though I agree they should add it to the list. 

11 hours ago, Phoenix16 said:

I can’t find anything on these links that says CCS is subject to the waiting period 

It’s right here under the CCS link:

Family member

We may need to do a family member assessment to decide if you have:

The definition of a family member differs depending on the reason for the assessment.

Newly arrived resident’s waiting period exemption

For the purposes of assessing a newly arrived resident’s waiting period exemption, a person is a family member if they’re your:

• partner, or
  • dependent child

There is very conflicting information and i am also very keen to find out a defintive answer to this. 

I know this following page is not a government page however it appears to clarify and confirm what everyone thinks, in that there is no waiting period for CCS. 

https://www.smartstepstoaustralia.com/changes-to-wait-period-for-welfare-payments-for-new-migrants/

8 hours ago, Wonderingaloud said:

The point I was making is if it’s not available to PR holders I highly doubt it will be for temporary residents. 

My earlier post was advising the OP to apply anyway and see what happens. He did and it was declined. Given the wait period is applicable to a lot of government payments, it shouldn’t be a surprise CCS is included, though I agree they should add it to the list. 

It’s right here under the CCS link:

Family member

We may need to do a family member assessment to decide if you have:

The definition of a family member differs depending on the reason for the assessment.

Newly arrived resident’s waiting period exemption

For the purposes of assessing a newly arrived resident’s waiting period exemption, a person is a family member if they’re your:

• partner, or
  • dependent child

The above post appears to have taken the definition of a ‘family member’ from the ‘Residence descriptions’. 

At the very top of the page is Australian resident and PR holder is under that category. 

The family member appears to be someone who is related to an australian resident but is not classed as a resident. 

If you go back to the residency rules under CCS it just says applicants need to have PR or be citizen. There is no mention of any waiting period. 

Furthermore CCS is NOT listed in the new list where there is a waiting period for newly arrived residence. See below page. 

either way, could you let us know what they say when you see them tomorrow? 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your support, my wife went in to centrelink and appealed against the decision and now we are waiting to be noticed by post as the online claim didn't update us of the rejection we had to call and spent 2 hours on the phone, soon as we hear will update you all 

Thanks 

On 30/06/2019 at 19:26, bluebird said:

There is very conflicting information and i am also very keen to find out a defintive answer to this. 

I know this following page is not a government page however it appears to clarify and confirm what everyone thinks, in that there is no waiting period for CCS. 

https://www.smartstepstoaustralia.com/changes-to-wait-period-for-welfare-payments-for-new-migrants/

The above post appears to have taken the definition of a ‘family member’ from the ‘Residence descriptions’. 

At the very top of the page is Australian resident and PR holder is under that category. 

The family member appears to be someone who is related to an australian resident but is not classed as a resident. 

If you go back to the residency rules under CCS it just says applicants need to have PR or be citizen. There is no mention of any waiting period. 

Furthermore CCS is NOT listed in the new list where there is a waiting period for newly arrived residence. See below page. 

either way, could you let us know what they say when you see them tomorrow? 

Quick update on our case we've just got a response from centrelink to say we are entitled to ccs,i think some of there staff require retraining anyhow great news for us.👍

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chrisso gray said:

Quick update on our case we've just got a response from centrelink to say we are entitled to ccs,i think some of there staff require retraining anyhow great news for us.👍

Fantastic news. Thanks for the update.