UK Qualified Architect 189 Visa

arch123

Hi All,

My partner and I are UK qualified architects and looking to move to Australia as soon as we can. We have spoken to a lawyer in Australia this morning and they have advised we should apply for the 189 Visa (PR).  How long does this take? Anyone else in a similar situation? I have also thought about applying for employment in the meantime to see if we can get sponsored? 

Can’t help on the timeline side of things but just make sure your agent is MARA registered. You don’t need a lawyer for visa assistance, you need a migration agent. There are many who post on these forums who are highly reputable, maybe give them a try for a comparison estimate?

Good luck

2 hours ago, arch123 said:

Hi All,

My partner and I are UK qualified architects and looking to move to Australia as soon as we can. We have spoken to a lawyer in Australia this morning and they have advised we should apply for the 189 Visa (PR).  How long does this take? Anyone else in a similar situation? I have also thought about applying for employment in the meantime to see if we can get sponsored? 

Processing times for the 189 visa are currently being quoted at around 6 months, but you need to factor in additional time to do a skills assessment and be invited to apply. 

2 hours ago, arch123 said:

Hi,

Thanks for your advice so far.

It seems that it could take a year or more to obtain PR - I was wondering if there was any route we could take  to get to Australia sooner whilst the PR is going through?

Probably, realistically not. Even company sponsored visas which might process quicker (sometimes), by the time you factor in the processing time of finding a job, going through interviews, reference checks and an offer (assuming they are even willing to sponsor, which now many co panics aren't as it has become very time consuming and expensive) would probably be at least as long and only result in a temporary visa which could see you having to leave shortly after.