Urgent Health insurance query

Hi everyone, 

I just have a question about health insurance if anyone could answer. We are moving from the UK to australia on Thursday 😮. We were able to get insurance that covers us from when we leave the UK until we arrive, but that's it.  Only covers the journey. No company would give us holiday insurance as it's not a holiday. What happens if we need medical help after we arrive? I will look into getting private medical cover but it will prob take at least a few days to get something in place. I'm panicking a little.

We are traveling on a 189 PR visa. I have a child with severe allergies and it's a little stressful not having everything in place before hand.

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Joanne

Are you going on a one way plane ticket or have you got a return flight booked?

Obviously if you are relocating for good then you need local private health insurance but if you are going for an activation visit (for a few weeks or months) then that is a holiday as you are still UK resident 

Hi Jo,

When we left the UK recently I looked at many travel insurance companies.

I noticed that ”go walk about” offers one way travel insurance for those who are leaving the UK, and will cover you for a certain amount of time once landed in your new country, so that may be worth a look.

Bear in mind, all Australian private heath funds have some “ waiting periods” that you have to serve for some conditions, especially if they are pre exisiting.

I have no idea about your eligibility for Medicare on your visa, sorry.

Good luck with your move 👍

Thanks guys for your replys. I will def look at getting private insurance. I will maybe see if I can do that from the UK before we go. It's a permanent move so no companies would insure us in australia under holiday insurance . The best we could get was from when we leave the UK until we land. Even an extra few days would have given me time to get things in place. As far as im aware we are eligible for medicare. I just don't no how long it will take to get it all set up. 

Cheers guys and I will look at the possibility of getting bupa set up from outside australia.

Joanne

Hi Jo,

There are MANY private health funds over here, it can be a bit of a mine field.It pays to do your homework and get several quotes before committing to one, and it depends on your individual needs as well.

I suggest you wait till you are here, talk to neighbour’s in the area where you are going to live for a while, and see what their experiences are like with their funds.  Some states have “state specific”  health insurance companies eg: HBF in WA for example.

You say you are eligible for Medicare, then if so, that can be set up very quickly indeed.

One more thing, have a look at CHOICE, they are the equivalent of Which ? in the UK.

They have just done an assessment of  Private Health Insurance funds, there has been a major overall of this activity recently and many changes have come into effect from April 1st.

53 minutes ago, Jo40485 said:

Thanks guys for your replys. I will def look at getting private insurance. I will maybe see if I can do that from the UK before we go. It's a permanent move so no companies would insure us in australia under holiday insurance . The best we could get was from when we leave the UK until we land. Even an extra few days would have given me time to get things in place. As far as im aware we are eligible for medicare. I just don't no how long it will take to get it all set up. 

Cheers guys and I will look at the possibility of getting bupa set up from outside australia.

Joanne

On a 189 you are eligible for Medicare as soon as you arrive.

6 hours ago, Jo40485 said:

Hi everyone, 

I just have a question about health insurance if anyone could answer. We are moving from the UK to australia on Thursday 😮. We were able to get insurance that covers us from when we leave the UK until we arrive, but that's it.  Only covers the journey. No company would give us holiday insurance as it's not a holiday. What happens if we need medical help after we arrive? I will look into getting private medical cover but it will prob take at least a few days to get something in place. I'm panicking a little.

We are traveling on a 189 PR visa. I have a child with severe allergies and it's a little stressful not having everything in place before hand.

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Joanne

You are eligible to apply for Medicare straightway. They will issues you Medicare number on the spot so you can start claiming straightway. You need to visit nearest Centrelink ( Equivalent of Job Centre In UK). I got mine sorted in less than 15 minutes

On 06/05/2019 at 17:14, Raul Senise said:

You can arrange private health cover which commences once you arrive. Try the bigger providers such as BUPA.

I have found these two posts useful when researching international insurance:

The first includes options for short term travel medical insurance to cover you until you get something long term. You don't have to be on holiday to buys most travel insurance plans. The second details what you need to know regarding long term private international health plans.