Life in Devonport

Kaleem

So its been 2 weeks since I arrived in Devonport. I thought I might give an overview of my impression of the city.

It is a lovely city. Very friendly and approachable people. Neighbours usually say Hi to you and wave, when they see you.Weather, although unpredictable, has been nice overall. Days are usually pleasantly warm, but evenings and nights are colder (but that''s natural for autumn/ winter). One thing that is off putting (if you are coming from a big city) is that it is very very quite at night. Even at 9 in the night, most shops and restaurants are closed. 

However, one problem that we are facing is that we cant get an appointment 'with a GP who Bulk bills. The one's that bulk bill, aren't taking any new customers. So if anyone can help with that issue, we would much appreciate. @Toots you might be able to tell us of a GP that bulk bills in or around devonport. 

But other than that, my experience has been much better than I expected to be.

• Like 1

The weather has been quite kind to you so far Kaleem but be prepared for lots of wind and rain also it will get a lot colder too.  Hope you have managed to find a decent rental.  Has you little boy started kindy?

You could try Valley Road Medical Centre.  It is bulk billing only.  They can be very busy and the doctors seem to come and go but we have always managed to see a very good doctor when needed.  My next door neighbour is a doctor there. https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/australian-health-services/20063583/valley-road-medical-centre/services/devonport-7310-valley

It is good to hear you are enjoying Devonport so far.  Is you wife settling here OK?

We are ready for the winter. We have braved the winters of Dundee, Northern Italy and Germany, so I believe winter in Devonport would be easily manageable 🙂 .

My employer booked a rental near Hillcrest primary before I arrived, its a nice house, a bit bigger than our needs, but its in a nice neighbourhood. 

My wife is taking it all pretty well, she likes it here as much as I do, and my little one is also very excited. We need to upgrade his immunisation record so he can start school, but its almost impossible to get an appointment at vally road. That the closest one to our place, but they are not taking any new patients. Plus, we just found out after arriving the we are expecting, yet another reason that we need to see a Dr ASAP. 

58 minutes ago, Kaleem said:

We are ready for the winter. We have braved the winters of Dundee, Northern Italy and Germany, so I believe winter in Devonport would be easily manageable 🙂 .

My employer booked a rental near Hillcrest primary before I arrived, its a nice house, a bit bigger than our needs, but its in a nice neighbourhood. 

My wife is taking it all pretty well, she likes it here as much as I do, and my little one is also very excited. We need to upgrade his immunisation record so he can start school, but its almost impossible to get an appointment at vally road. That the closest one to our place, but they are not taking any new patients. Plus, we just found out after arriving the we are expecting, yet another reason that we need to see a Dr ASAP. 

That's exciting news!  😀

A friend of mine who lives this side of the river (in fact close to Valley Road) goes to East Devonport Medical Centre and says the doctors there are very good.  Just check if they bulk bill or not.  My friend lived in Ambleside for a few years in between East Devonport and Devonport and stayed with that centre when she moved as she was so happy with the treatment she received there.

I've just been for a walk up to the lighthouse.  Have you been to the children's playground at Bluff Beach.  Lots of children there when I walked past.

Congratulations on the baby news!   This information about the East Devonport Medical Centre from the Yellow Pages website says they do bulk bill children - so that is a start.  Judging by the names of some of the doctors you may meet some fellow countrymen there.  😀

https://www.yellowpages.com.au/find/doctors-medical-practitioners/east-devonport-tas-7310   

1 hour ago, Toots said:

That's exciting news!  😀

A friend of mine who lives this side of the river (in fact close to Valley Road) goes to East Devonport Medical Centre and says the doctors there are very good.  Just check if they bulk bill or not.  My friend lived in Ambleside for a few years in between East Devonport and Devonport and stayed with that centre when she moved as she was so happy with the treatment she received there.

I've just been for a walk up to the lighthouse.  Have you been to the children's playground at Bluff Beach.  Lots of children there when I walked past.

Yes i have taken my kid there a couple of times, but he is more interested to take a dip in sea, than the park 🙂 I will try getting an appointment with East devonport next time, for now I have booked an appointment with Smart clinic. 

6 minutes ago, Skani said:

Congratulations on the baby news!   This information about the East Devonport Medical Centre from the Yellow Pages website says they do bulk bill children - so that is a start.  Judging by the names of some of the doctors you may meet some fellow countrymen there.  😀

https://www.yellowpages.com.au/find/doctors-medical-practitioners/east-devonport-tas-7310   

Thanks sakani. There are actually quite a few Indian/ sri lankan drs in almost all the medical centers in Devonport 🙂 (although I belong to Non of these two countries) but East devonport medical center sounds like a good place. Lets see if they take us in.