Two weeks in...

SteveandKirsty

2 hours ago, rammygirl said:

Yes Adelaide is hard for outsiders.  You need to put yourself about, talk to people in the business  and not rely on agencies. At some point someone will know someone who might have an opening............

Something that I did overlook, slightly - but shouldn't have.  When I was on my WHV 20 years ago the one place, and state that I visited where I couldn't find temporary work..... Adelaide/SA.  

What did lull me into a what was ultimately a false sense is that I very ran close to securing a job back at the end of last year. I went to the final two in the interviews (via Skype) and appeared to lose out because the other person made a pitch to base themselves in their home state of WA rather than relocate to SA coupled with the fact I found out later he was already contacts with one of the interviewing board and they went with that.  What this person is actually doing over there (it should be a visible role) I do not know, but that is beside the point.  The SA side of things was suggested would be left open to discuss in the coming months, which have now passed but, despite me attempting to make contact with them since I have been here, I am now getting the silent treatment.  They had a forum weekend at the Convention Centre over the weekend just gone and if they were interested in hiring me at some point in the future, I think I am not being too arrogant in thinking that they would have invited me along, even as an observer. That is life, but never the less disappointing we all live and learn.

But, I will keep pressing on.  Kirsty's boss has passed my CV on to a couple of his own contacts and I am using my own path such as linked-in and instagram to put my own route down as much as the "job search', and HR departments who are more looking to see whether a candidate has a Certificate IV in something rather than proper experience, be it life or work.  I am also looking at some volunteering roles that may or may not lead somewhere with regard contacts too and if that fails, pondering on whether to invest in a franchise but that is a gamble on a gamble and I/we are not quite at that stage yet.

Much the same as with your neighbour, the saving grace is that Kirsty has managed to find a decently paid job - but one wage is not sustainable long term, obviously.

Edited by SteveandKirsty

6 hours ago, rammygirl said:

Yes Adelaide is hard for outsiders.  You need to put yourself about, talk to people in the business  and not rely on agencies. At some point someone will know someone who might have an opening............

We have a new neighbour from Sydney who is a freelance business consultant, who had high flying contracts in Sydney but is really struggling here in Adelaide. Hubby introduced him to a few people and he is slowly getting to know the people who matter and now has a possible short term contract in the offing, after six months.  Fortunately his wife is a GP and found work quickly. 

Would this be the same for trade jobs or is it more for office/managerial positions?

5 hours ago, SteveandKirsty said:

Something that I did overlook, slightly - but shouldn't have.  When I was on my WHV 20 years ago the one place, and state that I visited where I couldn't find temporary work..... Adelaide/SA.  

What did lull me into a what was ultimately a false sense is that I very ran close to securing a job back at the end of last year. I went to the final two in the interviews (via Skype) and appeared to lose out because the other person made a pitch to base themselves in their home state of WA rather than relocate to SA coupled with the fact I found out later he was already contacts with one of the interviewing board and they went with that.  What this person is actually doing over there (it should be a visible role) I do not know, but that is beside the point.  The SA side of things was suggested would be left open to discuss in the coming months, which have now passed but, despite me attempting to make contact with them since I have been here, I am now getting the silent treatment.  They had a forum weekend at the Convention Centre over the weekend just gone and if they were interested in hiring me at some point in the future, I think I am not being too arrogant in thinking that they would have invited me along, even as an observer. That is life, but never the less disappointing we all live and learn.

But, I will keep pressing on.  Kirsty's boss has passed my CV on to a couple of his own contacts and I am using my own path such as linked-in and instagram to put my own route down as much as the "job search', and HR departments who are more looking to see whether a candidate has a Certificate IV in something rather than proper experience, be it life or work.  I am also looking at some volunteering roles that may or may not lead somewhere with regard contacts too and if that fails, pondering on whether to invest in a franchise but that is a gamble on a gamble and I/we are not quite at that stage yet.

Much the same as with your neighbour, the saving grace is that Kirsty has managed to find a decently paid job - but one wage is not sustainable long term, obviously.

There’s a reason South Australia’s biggest export is people.  I’m surrounded by ex Croweaters here in the ACT...

7 hours ago, Bulya said:

There’s a reason South Australia’s biggest export is people.  I’m surrounded by ex Croweaters here in the ACT...

When we traveled from SA to ACT last year I got chatting to a lady at the airport who was flying from Adelaide to Canberra.  Said she "hated Canberra" but had lived there 11 years, so yes...

Members of Kirsty's family were actually among the early settlers in the Canberra area.  Blundell's cottage was where they lived and Ginns Gap was named after them.

Hi Steve and Kirsty

Welcome to Adelaide firstly and glad to hear you are settling in well apart from the job situation. 

We have been in Adelaide 3 years in November. 

I just wanted to add to some comments that have already been said on here. I would sign up to agencies if the offer your line of work as most of the time the companies start off looking for labour to fill a gap or cover someone else but I know a few people who have ended up getting full time jobs. 

I was the same when I first arrived I was applying for jobs and getting no response. I’m an electrician so it was a little harder as I was only on a restricted license. 

It seems the job market over here can be more of who you know more than what you know. 

I would suggest getting a list of companies that do work in the field you work in and put a day aside that you can go in and introduce yourself personally. I did that and I ended up getting 2 job offers. 

Once you get that first job it makes it much easier when applying for things in the future. 

Good Luck 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/06/2019 at 14:45, Paul1Perth said:

I was out of work for 5 months and got a bit of luck filling in for someone taking long service leave in an IT dept of a big hospital. From there someone I worked with new someone else with his own company and I got the job. Hated it but it got me my first employment here and I've never been out of work since. 

We had a 2 year old and I made the most of being with him every day. Went miles on the bike with him in the baby seat. Didn't panic, felt a bit down but always thought something would turn up, which it did.

I was between contracts one summer and had a job lined up but it was too hot on site to start so we had to wait for the weather to cool down! Timed perfectly with the Australian Open and I got to watch two weeks of tennis at home in the air con, reignited my interest in tennis.  Every cloud and all that!

Edited by Jessica Berry

I'd echo Curly's comments about signing up to agencies. I had similar problems finding work in my field when I first arrived 7 years ago - applied directly to lots of jobs via Seek etc but with no success. In the end I signed up with several recruitment agencies and took a number of short term contracts which were vaguely related to my field of work. Eventually I found one which enabled me to move back into my original field of work and after a while was made permanent. That was five years ago now 🙂

I think the work is there in Adelaide, just a lot of it is advertised on a contract basis first. Plus, short term contracts will get some local experience on your CV, which I think is also looked upon favourably by employers.

Signing up with agencies also gives a good opportunity to discuss your CV with a recruitment consultant - when we first moved over I was sticking religiously to the UK mantra of 'anything over 2 pages is a sin', but after a while realised that many employers over here will see that as too short and would prefer something a little more meaty from a resume. That was several years ago though so things might have changed in the meantime - it's worth looking in to though.

• Like 1