Two weeks in...

SteveandKirsty

So two weeks in for us in Adelaide and we have; sorted mobile phone contracts, purchased a small car, secured a 12 month rental lease (in Seaford Meadows).  All of which was actually done in 10 days.

But, the harder part will be getting jobs.  We can see that already, and knew that before we came anyway.

On the whole though, so far so good.

• Like 7

On 05/05/2019 at 09:21, SteveandKirsty said:

So two weeks in for us in Adelaide and we have; sorted mobile phone contracts, purchased a small car, secured a 12 month rental lease (in Seaford Meadows).  All of which was actually done in 10 days.

But, the harder part will be getting jobs.  We can see that already, and knew that before we came anyway.

On the whole though, so far so good.

Congratulations on making it too Adelaide.....just wondering what job is it you are both looking for?

12 hours ago, Lavers said:

Congratulations on making it too Adelaide.....just wondering what job is it you are both looking for?

Kirsty works in Hospital Management - and does have a few potential leads in the pipeline.  As for me, I was self employed in the UK working in the media.  I'm multi skilled and keen but it is convincing somewhere here that is the case.  So far I have had rejections for jobs I could do whilst horizontal. But onwards and upwards, I'm not too worried.

• 2 weeks later...

I reckon when we came the first 12 months seemed to fly by! I have known people that have been homesick and returned within 3 months of arriving, but for us there always seemed to be something to do or sort out in that initial year.

Edited by Jessica Berry
  • Like 1

Congratulations on your safe arrival in Adalade Steve and Kirsty.  Wow, you have certainly hit the road running.

Dont forget to get your Medicare sorted along with TFNs, also get yourselves registered with a bulk billing GP if you can.

The first few weeks are exhausting but sooo exciting. Good luck, this is just the start of your journey, lots of great things to come.

Very best wishes for a happy and successful future

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Metoo said:

Congratulations on your safe arrival in Adalade Steve and Kirsty.  Wow, you have certainly hit the road running.

Dont forget to get your Medicare sorted along with TFNs, also get yourselves registered with a bulk billing GP if you can.

The first few weeks are exhausting but sooo exciting. Good luck, this is just the start of your journey, lots of great things to come.

Very best wishes for a happy and successful future

Many thanks!

And yes we sorted our Medicare and TFN's last week.  We attended an Immigration South Australia new arrivals seminar today.  It was very well done and presented, although at least half of it we already knew, had done or doing anyway.  Still worth attending though and there they do provide free job workshops and business advice for free if need be.

Now just the matter of finding the jobs, although Kirsty has two interviews lined up.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We are now up to 8 weeks in...

Kirsty quickly settled into new job.  I, however am no further forward.  34 applications sent and not one interview request. Not into panic stations just yet, though.

I attended the Immigration SA job workshop last week.  It was interesting, enlightening but also told me that I wasn't really doing anything wrong just keep doing what I am doing.  I do not envy some of those from a non-English speaking background though, some of whom are/were visibly struggling and have been job hunting for 8-9 months.

I am under no illusions. I am not a/the "skilled migrant" per se - for the work and jobs that I am looking for I am up against literally hundreds of others.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SteveandKirsty said:

We are now up to 8 weeks in...

Kirsty quickly settled into new job.  I, however am no further forward.  34 applications sent and not one interview request. Not into panic stations just yet, though.

I attended the Immigration SA job workshop last week.  It was interesting, enlightening but also told me that I wasn't really doing anything wrong just keep doing what I am doing.  I do not envy some of those from a non-English speaking background though, some of whom are/were visibly struggling and have been job hunting for 8-9 months.

I am under no illusions. I am not a/the "skilled migrant" per se - for the work and jobs that I am looking for I am up against literally hundreds of others.  

My wife is a nurse and had a job in a couple of weeks. I have a degree in Computer Science and had several years experience in Communications (mobile phone software, hardware, protocols) and defense work. 

I was out of work for 5 months and got a bit of luck filling in for someone taking long service leave in an IT dept of a big hospital. From there someone I worked with new someone else with his own company and I got the job. Hated it but it got me my first employment here and I've never been out of work since. 

We had a 2 year old and I made the most of being with him every day. Went miles on the bike with him in the baby seat. Didn't panic, felt a bit down but always thought something would turn up, which it did.

Don't get down on yourself mate, remain positive and bright, especially in interviews. No-one likes to work with a sad sack. Good luck.

• Like 3

I work with skilled migrants as an independent voice on the realities of them finding work in Adelaide, what that would involve and how to approach it.  Some people choose to meet with me when they are over on a reccie to get the information before they make the move over (or decide not too!) and some meet me when they have already moved here.   Migrants often make the assumption because they are on a skills list, their job/skills must be in demand which is a fair enough assessment but sometimes this is not the case.  I've met people who have attended events in the UK who have been given, in my opinion, widely exaggerated information on the availability of jobs in Adelaide and the salaries they would earn.

I work with skilled migrants as an independent voice on the realities of them finding work in Adelaide, what that would involve and how to approach it.  Some people choose to meet with me when they are over on a reccie to get the information before they make the move over (or decide not too!) and some meet me when they have already moved here.   Migrants often make the assumption because they are on a skills list, their job/skills must be in demand which is a fair enough assessment but sometimes this is not the case.  I've met people who have attended events in the UK who have been given, in my opinion, widely exaggerated information on the availability of jobs in Adelaide and the salaries they would earn.

Hi Jessica.

Could you please tell me what the demand is like for electricians over in Adelaide.

I'm aware I will need to cover the gap training etc.

Many thanks

7 hours ago, Jessica Berry said:

I would agree with that last comment.  We did four recce's, one was actually to Perth and the fourth was combined as a validation trip and sourced lots of things at each of them.  Jobs, salaries, who and where the recruiters are/were and so on.  However, we attended an event soon after our third recce trip. There were speakers from each State government and to be honest, yes, they were talking up their product, giving it the sales pitch (as that was obviously their brief) but in doing so giving out false and misleading information.  Kirsty and I turned to each other and concluded that we knew more than they did !

What is a bit of a blessing of course is that a migrant does not have to do the job that their skills have been assessed on. It would appear from us both talking to people here that some employers do actually think that it is the case.  Kirsty almost had an interview terminated when she said that her skills were assessed as a laboratory manager rather than the position she was being interviewed for.  So, confusion reigns, even with some of those doing the recruiting here.

But, for this reason - anyone looking to move to Adelaide or any state/city in Australia really should do at least one thorough recce first.

Edited by SteveandKirsty
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, SteveandKirsty said:

I would agree with that last comment.  We did four recce's, one was actually to Perth and the fourth was combined as a validation trip and sourced lots of things at each of them.  Jobs, salaries, who and where the recruiters are/were and so on.  However, we attended an event soon after our third recce trip. There were speakers from each State government and to be honest, yes, they were talking up their product, giving it the sales pitch (as that was obviously their brief) but in doing so giving out false and misleading information.  Kirsty and I turned to each other and concluded that we knew more than they did !

What is a bit of a blessing of course is that a migrant does not have to do the job that their skills have been assessed on. It would appear from us both talking to people here that some employers do actually think that it is the case.  Kirsty almost had an interview terminated when she said that her skills were assessed as a laboratory manager rather than the position she was being interviewed for.  So, confusion reigns, even with some of those doing the recruiting here.

But, for this reason - anyone looking to move to Adelaide or any state/city in Australia really should do at least one thorough recce first.

Easy thing for people to do is just look on the job sites to gain an idea of what there job prospects could be along with potential salaries.

5 hours ago, Lavers said:

Easy thing for people to do is just look on the job sites to gain an idea of what there job prospects could be along with potential salaries.

Yes and no - one of the most popular job search sites here seek.com.au, do not actually show salaries, just a guide graph.  Newspaper Ads - which are mostly limited to government jobs these days, do generally show a salary. 

Also many employers/recruiters appear to talk salary at the interview stage. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lavers said:

Easy thing for people to do is just look on the job sites to gain an idea of what there job prospects could be along with potential salaries

They can be a bit misleading.  Sometimes employers/agencies don't remove old ads after the jobs are filled, and agencies sometimes advertise "phantom" jobs as a way of attracting candidates for their database. 

• Like 3

On 21/06/2019 at 23:57, SteveandKirsty said:

Yes and no - one of the most popular job search sites here seek.com.au, do not actually show salaries, just a guide graph.  Newspaper Ads - which are mostly limited to government jobs these days, do generally show a salary. 

Also many employers/recruiters appear to talk salary at the interview stage. 

Also initial phone screening is very popular in certain industries.  This is undertaken before any face to face interviews and generally designed to knock people out of the process.  The recruiter will ask what salary you are looking for.  You need to be in the 'range' (or have some unique/exceptional skill to ask for more generally) or you usually won't proceed any further.  When I work with clients, this is one of the areas I guide them on.

• Like 1

On 21/06/2019 at 16:47, SteveandKirsty said:

Problem with that is it's really expensive to do that and if you've already made your mind up where you want to live the money spent on a recent could keep you going once you're here.

We just thought something will turn up. Which it did. We chose where we wanted to live first. Work is only a small part of why we emigrated.

3 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Problem with that is it's really expensive to do that and if you've already made your mind up where you want to live the money spent on a recent could keep you going once you're here.

I agree, very few people would have the money to do several visits before making the decision to move.  Besides, coming for a week or two is never enough time to really get the feel for the place - and employers are only able to say, "yes, you've got the skills and IF we have a vacancy when you arrive, we'd certainly consider you".  

• Like 1

Yes Adelaide is hard for outsiders.  You need to put yourself about, talk to people in the business  and not rely on agencies. At some point someone will know someone who might have an opening............

We have a new neighbour from Sydney who is a freelance business consultant, who had high flying contracts in Sydney but is really struggling here in Adelaide. Hubby introduced him to a few people and he is slowly getting to know the people who matter and now has a possible short term contract in the offing, after six months.  Fortunately his wife is a GP and found work quickly.