Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Recommended Posts

So two weeks in for us in Adelaide and we have; sorted mobile phone contracts, purchased a small car, secured a 12 month rental lease (in Seaford Meadows).  All of which was actually done in 10 days.

But, the harder part will be getting jobs.  We can see that already, and knew that before we came anyway.

On the whole though, so far so good.

  • Like 7

Kirsty is the main applicant. Vetassess rec/proc 17/12/13 (finally) a positive assessment 10/06/14. ILETS 19/03/16 overall 8.5 score rec 01/04/16, 190 EOI for SA Lodged 07/12/16. EOI Approved 24/01/17. 190 visa submitted 24/02/17, CO 06/03/17 Medicals 20/03/17. 190 for SA granted 05/04/17. Arrival in SA 22/04/19. It's been quite a journey !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like you accomplished a lot in the first 10 days! Keep us posted on how the job situation works out. If we get the visa in the next couple of months, we would like to be out there before the end of the year. 


29/12/17 AHPRA logged,  31/01/2018 AHPRA asked for more docs,  20/02/2018 AHPRA rec'd docs, 27/02/2018 AHPRA extension app'd, 12/03/2018 Reg in principle, 29/03/2018 AHPRA Full Registration, 29/03/2018 Anmac Modified Skills lodged,   15/05/2018 ANMAC Mod skills Assessment +ve,  Aug. 2018 PTE-A (L:85 R:90 S:90 W:90),  South Australia State 190 Sponsorship Applied 08/09/2018, State Sponsorship Approved 08/11/2018, Lodged 190 visa 16/11/2018.  CO Contact for form 47a for migrating adult child, and non-migrating non-dependent adult children  9th April, 2019.    Grant 4th June 2019!!!! Job Offer Aug 2019, Flying to Oz October 2nd 2019✈️🇦🇺🌞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/05/2019 at 09:21, SteveandKirsty said:

So two weeks in for us in Adelaide and we have; sorted mobile phone contracts, purchased a small car, secured a 12 month rental lease (in Seaford Meadows).  All of which was actually done in 10 days.

But, the harder part will be getting jobs.  We can see that already, and knew that before we came anyway.

On the whole though, so far so good.

Congratulations on making it too Adelaide.....just wondering what job is it you are both looking for?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Lavers said:

Congratulations on making it too Adelaide.....just wondering what job is it you are both looking for?

Kirsty works in Hospital Management - and does have a few potential leads in the pipeline.  As for me, I was self employed in the UK working in the media.  I'm multi skilled and keen but it is convincing somewhere here that is the case.  So far I have had rejections for jobs I could do whilst horizontal. But onwards and upwards, I'm not too worried.


Kirsty is the main applicant. Vetassess rec/proc 17/12/13 (finally) a positive assessment 10/06/14. ILETS 19/03/16 overall 8.5 score rec 01/04/16, 190 EOI for SA Lodged 07/12/16. EOI Approved 24/01/17. 190 visa submitted 24/02/17, CO 06/03/17 Medicals 20/03/17. 190 for SA granted 05/04/17. Arrival in SA 22/04/19. It's been quite a journey !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I reckon when we came the first 12 months seemed to fly by! I have known people that have been homesick and returned within 3 months of arriving, but for us there always seemed to be something to do or sort out in that initial year.

Edited by Jessica Berry
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations on your safe arrival in Adalade Steve and Kirsty.  Wow, you have certainly hit the road running.

Dont forget to get your Medicare sorted along with TFNs, also get yourselves registered with a bulk billing GP if you can.

The first few weeks are exhausting but sooo exciting. Good luck, this is just the start of your journey, lots of great things to come.

Very best wishes for a happy and successful future

  • Like 2

Flights booked for Sydney 29/09/2015 :cool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adelaide ^^^. Sorry, typo 


Flights booked for Sydney 29/09/2015 :cool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Metoo said:

Congratulations on your safe arrival in Adalade Steve and Kirsty.  Wow, you have certainly hit the road running.

Dont forget to get your Medicare sorted along with TFNs, also get yourselves registered with a bulk billing GP if you can.

The first few weeks are exhausting but sooo exciting. Good luck, this is just the start of your journey, lots of great things to come.

Very best wishes for a happy and successful future

Many thanks!

And yes we sorted our Medicare and TFN's last week.  We attended an Immigration South Australia new arrivals seminar today.  It was very well done and presented, although at least half of it we already knew, had done or doing anyway.  Still worth attending though and there they do provide free job workshops and business advice for free if need be.

Now just the matter of finding the jobs, although Kirsty has two interviews lined up.

  • Like 3

Kirsty is the main applicant. Vetassess rec/proc 17/12/13 (finally) a positive assessment 10/06/14. ILETS 19/03/16 overall 8.5 score rec 01/04/16, 190 EOI for SA Lodged 07/12/16. EOI Approved 24/01/17. 190 visa submitted 24/02/17, CO 06/03/17 Medicals 20/03/17. 190 for SA granted 05/04/17. Arrival in SA 22/04/19. It's been quite a journey !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@SteveandKirsty  looks like you guys just completed a month in Adelaide! Been following this thread with great interest.

Thank you for keeping us posted and all the best for the interviews 💪👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/05/2019 at 15:26, Bazooka Boy said:

 

Kirsty got the job - doing a very similar role to what she was doing in the UK but with greater scope, and just a short commute too.  

  • Congratulations 5

Kirsty is the main applicant. Vetassess rec/proc 17/12/13 (finally) a positive assessment 10/06/14. ILETS 19/03/16 overall 8.5 score rec 01/04/16, 190 EOI for SA Lodged 07/12/16. EOI Approved 24/01/17. 190 visa submitted 24/02/17, CO 06/03/17 Medicals 20/03/17. 190 for SA granted 05/04/17. Arrival in SA 22/04/19. It's been quite a journey !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SteveandKirsty said:

Kirsty got the job - doing a very similar role to what she was doing in the UK but with greater scope, and just a short commute too.  

Amazing stuff mate!! Congrats 🍾!! Sounds like the ideal scenario 🤩

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are now up to 8 weeks in...

Kirsty quickly settled into new job.  I, however am no further forward.  34 applications sent and not one interview request. Not into panic stations just yet, though.

I attended the Immigration SA job workshop last week.  It was interesting, enlightening but also told me that I wasn't really doing anything wrong just keep doing what I am doing.  I do not envy some of those from a non-English speaking background though, some of whom are/were visibly struggling and have been job hunting for 8-9 months.

I am under no illusions. I am not a/the "skilled migrant" per se - for the work and jobs that I am looking for I am up against literally hundreds of others.  

  • Like 1

Kirsty is the main applicant. Vetassess rec/proc 17/12/13 (finally) a positive assessment 10/06/14. ILETS 19/03/16 overall 8.5 score rec 01/04/16, 190 EOI for SA Lodged 07/12/16. EOI Approved 24/01/17. 190 visa submitted 24/02/17, CO 06/03/17 Medicals 20/03/17. 190 for SA granted 05/04/17. Arrival in SA 22/04/19. It's been quite a journey !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SteveandKirsty said:

We are now up to 8 weeks in...

Kirsty quickly settled into new job.  I, however am no further forward.  34 applications sent and not one interview request. Not into panic stations just yet, though.

I attended the Immigration SA job workshop last week.  It was interesting, enlightening but also told me that I wasn't really doing anything wrong just keep doing what I am doing.  I do not envy some of those from a non-English speaking background though, some of whom are/were visibly struggling and have been job hunting for 8-9 months.

I am under no illusions. I am not a/the "skilled migrant" per se - for the work and jobs that I am looking for I am up against literally hundreds of others.  

My wife is a nurse and had a job in a couple of weeks. I have a degree in Computer Science and had several years experience in Communications (mobile phone software, hardware, protocols) and defense work. 

I was out of work for 5 months and got a bit of luck filling in for someone taking long service leave in an IT dept of a big hospital. From there someone I worked with new someone else with his own company and I got the job. Hated it but it got me my first employment here and I've never been out of work since. 

We had a 2 year old and I made the most of being with him every day. Went miles on the bike with him in the baby seat. Didn't panic, felt a bit down but always thought something would turn up, which it did.

Don't get down on yourself mate, remain positive and bright, especially in interviews. No-one likes to work with a sad sack. Good luck.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I work with skilled migrants as an independent voice on the realities of them finding work in Adelaide, what that would involve and how to approach it.  Some people choose to meet with me when they are over on a reccie to get the information before they make the move over (or decide not too!) and some meet me when they have already moved here.   Migrants often make the assumption because they are on a skills list, their job/skills must be in demand which is a fair enough assessment but sometimes this is not the case.  I've met people who have attended events in the UK who have been given, in my opinion, widely exaggerated information on the availability of jobs in Adelaide and the salaries they would earn.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I work with skilled migrants as an independent voice on the realities of them finding work in Adelaide, what that would involve and how to approach it.  Some people choose to meet with me when they are over on a reccie to get the information before they make the move over (or decide not too!) and some meet me when they have already moved here.   Migrants often make the assumption because they are on a skills list, their job/skills must be in demand which is a fair enough assessment but sometimes this is not the case.  I've met people who have attended events in the UK who have been given, in my opinion, widely exaggerated information on the availability of jobs in Adelaide and the salaries they would earn.
 
Hi Jessica.

Could you please tell me what the demand is like for electricians over in Adelaide.

I'm aware I will need to cover the gap training etc.

Many thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Jessica Berry said:

I work with skilled migrants as an independent voice on the realities of them finding work in Adelaide, what that would involve and how to approach it.  Some people choose to meet with me when they are over on a reccie to get the information before they make the move over (or decide not too!) and some meet me when they have already moved here.   Migrants often make the assumption because they are on a skills list, their job/skills must be in demand which is a fair enough assessment but sometimes this is not the case.  I've met people who have attended events in the UK who have been given, in my opinion, widely exaggerated information on the availability of jobs in Adelaide and the salaries they would earn.

 

I would agree with that last comment.  We did four recce's, one was actually to Perth and the fourth was combined as a validation trip and sourced lots of things at each of them.  Jobs, salaries, who and where the recruiters are/were and so on.  However, we attended an event soon after our third recce trip. There were speakers from each State government and to be honest, yes, they were talking up their product, giving it the sales pitch (as that was obviously their brief) but in doing so giving out false and misleading information.  Kirsty and I turned to each other and concluded that we knew more than they did !

What is a bit of a blessing of course is that a migrant does not have to do the job that their skills have been assessed on. It would appear from us both talking to people here that some employers do actually think that it is the case.  Kirsty almost had an interview terminated when she said that her skills were assessed as a laboratory manager rather than the position she was being interviewed for.  So, confusion reigns, even with some of those doing the recruiting here.

But, for this reason - anyone looking to move to Adelaide or any state/city in Australia really should do at least one thorough recce first.

 

Edited by SteveandKirsty
  • Like 3

Kirsty is the main applicant. Vetassess rec/proc 17/12/13 (finally) a positive assessment 10/06/14. ILETS 19/03/16 overall 8.5 score rec 01/04/16, 190 EOI for SA Lodged 07/12/16. EOI Approved 24/01/17. 190 visa submitted 24/02/17, CO 06/03/17 Medicals 20/03/17. 190 for SA granted 05/04/17. Arrival in SA 22/04/19. It's been quite a journey !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, SteveandKirsty said:

I would agree with that last comment.  We did four recce's, one was actually to Perth and the fourth was combined as a validation trip and sourced lots of things at each of them.  Jobs, salaries, who and where the recruiters are/were and so on.  However, we attended an event soon after our third recce trip. There were speakers from each State government and to be honest, yes, they were talking up their product, giving it the sales pitch (as that was obviously their brief) but in doing so giving out false and misleading information.  Kirsty and I turned to each other and concluded that we knew more than they did !

What is a bit of a blessing of course is that a migrant does not have to do the job that their skills have been assessed on. It would appear from us both talking to people here that some employers do actually think that it is the case.  Kirsty almost had an interview terminated when she said that her skills were assessed as a laboratory manager rather than the position she was being interviewed for.  So, confusion reigns, even with some of those doing the recruiting here.

But, for this reason - anyone looking to move to Adelaide or any state/city in Australia really should do at least one thorough recce first.

 

Easy thing for people to do is just look on the job sites to gain an idea of what there job prospects could be along with potential salaries.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lavers said:

Easy thing for people to do is just look on the job sites to gain an idea of what there job prospects could be along with potential salaries.

 

 

Yes and no - one of the most popular job search sites here seek.com.au, do not actually show salaries, just a guide graph.  Newspaper Ads - which are mostly limited to government jobs these days, do generally show a salary. 

Also many employers/recruiters appear to talk salary at the interview stage. 

  • Like 1

Kirsty is the main applicant. Vetassess rec/proc 17/12/13 (finally) a positive assessment 10/06/14. ILETS 19/03/16 overall 8.5 score rec 01/04/16, 190 EOI for SA Lodged 07/12/16. EOI Approved 24/01/17. 190 visa submitted 24/02/17, CO 06/03/17 Medicals 20/03/17. 190 for SA granted 05/04/17. Arrival in SA 22/04/19. It's been quite a journey !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Lavers said:

Easy thing for people to do is just look on the job sites to gain an idea of what there job prospects could be along with potential salaries

They can be a bit misleading.  Sometimes employers/agencies don't remove old ads after the jobs are filled, and agencies sometimes advertise "phantom" jobs as a way of attracting candidates for their database. 

  • Like 3

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/06/2019 at 23:57, SteveandKirsty said:

Yes and no - one of the most popular job search sites here seek.com.au, do not actually show salaries, just a guide graph.  Newspaper Ads - which are mostly limited to government jobs these days, do generally show a salary. 

Also many employers/recruiters appear to talk salary at the interview stage. 

Also initial phone screening is very popular in certain industries.  This is undertaken before any face to face interviews and generally designed to knock people out of the process.  The recruiter will ask what salary you are looking for.  You need to be in the 'range' (or have some unique/exceptional skill to ask for more generally) or you usually won't proceed any further.  When I work with clients, this is one of the areas I guide them on.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/06/2019 at 16:47, SteveandKirsty said:

I would agree with that last comment.  We did four recce's, one was actually to Perth and the fourth was combined as a validation trip and sourced lots of things at each of them.  Jobs, salaries, who and where the recruiters are/were and so on.  However, we attended an event soon after our third recce trip. There were speakers from each State government and to be honest, yes, they were talking up their product, giving it the sales pitch (as that was obviously their brief) but in doing so giving out false and misleading information.  Kirsty and I turned to each other and concluded that we knew more than they did !

What is a bit of a blessing of course is that a migrant does not have to do the job that their skills have been assessed on. It would appear from us both talking to people here that some employers do actually think that it is the case.  Kirsty almost had an interview terminated when she said that her skills were assessed as a laboratory manager rather than the position she was being interviewed for.  So, confusion reigns, even with some of those doing the recruiting here.

But, for this reason - anyone looking to move to Adelaide or any state/city in Australia really should do at least one thorough recce first.

 

Problem with that is it's really expensive to do that and if you've already made your mind up where you want to live the money spent on a recent could keep you going once you're here.

We just thought something will turn up. Which it did. We chose where we wanted to live first. Work is only a small part of why we emigrated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Problem with that is it's really expensive to do that and if you've already made your mind up where you want to live the money spent on a recent could keep you going once you're here.

I agree, very few people would have the money to do several visits before making the decision to move.  Besides, coming for a week or two is never enough time to really get the feel for the place - and employers are only able to say, "yes, you've got the skills and IF we have a vacancy when you arrive, we'd certainly consider you".  

  • Like 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sydneysider here. I’ve always heard Adelaide job market is a really tough nut to crack if you don’t have local / Australian experience. Keep us filled in, I hope you find something soon. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes Adelaide is hard for outsiders.  You need to put yourself about, talk to people in the business  and not rely on agencies. At some point someone will know someone who might have an opening............

We have a new neighbour from Sydney who is a freelance business consultant, who had high flying contracts in Sydney but is really struggling here in Adelaide. Hubby introduced him to a few people and he is slowly getting to know the people who matter and now has a possible short term contract in the offing, after six months.  Fortunately his wife is a GP and found work quickly. 


So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×