You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Red Rose

Unpopular opinion, but....

Totally agree.  I went to school in Australia in the 1950s/60s.  Our history consisted entirely of British explorers (ad nauseum... I can remember complaining in Grade 4  "....but we did Matthew Flinders last year..."  )   - then straight to British modern history, then Canadian, American,  even Russian.    No mention of Australian colonial history at all -  as though the Australian colonies were too inferior to the "mother country"  to be worth mentioning - and absolutely no mention of Australian indigenous people or their interaction with the British.  It was as though the Australian continent arrived on planet earth in 1770 and the only noteworthy events since then were by people whose residence was Britain.
Fortunately current education is more comprehensive - and hopefully more reflective of the reality.

Good to hear. Also indigenous traditions etc, and their interactions amongst the varying indigenous cultures could be interesting.
  • Like 1

There is something very grand and awe inspiring about the red interior. I wouldn’t want to live there,either, but, wow, I’m glad it’s there!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ramot said:

Sadly possibly true according to my husband. Apparently it originally referred to a reporting point.

Your husband is either a pilot or a very wise man.

4 hours ago, Toots said:

Rightio.

The only time I've been to that part of Australia was when my sister and I took a trip to the centre of Australia and another time when I went with my son to far flung Aboriginal communities when he volunteered to desex and immunise their dogs.  He's a vet.  I couldn't live out there for quids.  Not my cup of tea at all.   

Apologies excepted 😉

• Thanks 1

On 03/05/2019 at 10:41, Toots said:

I worked in the Lake District for 3 years.  Some of the happiest years of my life.  I lived between Ambleside and Windermere.  It is one of my favourite places in the UK and I never took it for granted.

Why should it be an unpopular opinion?  France,  Germany and Italy also have beauty and character especially away from built up areas.  I can't say I am enamoured of the desert inland of Australia but there are some lovely places away from that.  I'm in Tasmania and where I live reminds me of the area where I grew up in Scotland but yes, the UK has some absolutely lovely places.

I was watching great canal journeys with prunella scales yesterday and they were in the lake District it is a beautiful place for sure. I have been there but I prefer Devon and Cornwall if I'm going to drive that far.

• Haha 1

On 03/05/2019 at 22:45, starlight7 said:

I like both countries too but my heart lies in Australia because it is so very big and diverse.  I always felt trapped in the Uk and felt the same sensation when we lived in Tassie. I love to have the feeling that you can drive for a couple of weeks and still have further to go. Absolutely no idea why. I know many feel exactly the opposite.

Pommyland is crowded and polluted.  Better to have some space imho

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Congratulations 1

2 hours ago, starlight7 said:

There is something very grand and awe inspiring about the red interior. I wouldn’t want to live there,either, but, wow, I’m glad it’s there!

Been there many, many times and only old age is preventing me from going again.

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, simmo said:

Your husband is either a pilot or a very wise man.

An airline pilot, flown many a time over the interior. We have travelled lots around Australia and love the diversity of the country, still enjoy going to UK most years, luckily have family and friends living in lovely places to visit, but for some reason it’s Australia that I prefer. Having lived in Africa, I think it’s the feeling of space and the night sky that tips it for me. I feel slightly claustrophobic in UK, and you never seem far away from a pylon.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ramot said:

An airline pilot, flown many a time over the interior. We have travelled lots around Australia and love the diversity of the country, still enjoy going to UK most years, luckily have family and friends living in lovely places to visit, but for some reason it’s Australia that I prefer. Having lived in Africa, I think it’s the feeling of space and the night sky that tips it for me. I feel slightly claustrophobic in UK, and you never seem far away from a pylon.

vive la difference! 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ramot said:

I can fully understand the love of space , I get that , especially being in the west Midlands 😂.

The pylon thing , I don't quite understand , outside of the urban areas , many have a great quality of life , and not many pylons either 😂

But the counterbalance for us in the u.k in the traffic ,  is having Barcelona,  Rome,  venice , London, innsbruck , lucerne plus many others on your doorstep 

Europe , in my humble opinion is the greatest continent on the planet , and the various stats ,verify this .

Europe always has 7 or 8 places in the top ten , whether that be places to visit or places to live , or quality of life ( at the moment ) 

It's great to have it close to hand .

2 couples I know have recently moved to the Costa del sol .

Back to the u.k in the Spanish summer when it gets too hot - 

Back to the u.k for Christmas and new year 

That takes some beating 

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

32 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

I can fully understand the love of space , I get that , especially being in the west Midlands 😂.

The pylon thing , I don't quite understand , outside of the urban areas , many have a great quality of life , and not many pylons either 😂

But the counterbalance for us in the u.k in the traffic ,  is having Barcelona,  Rome,  venice , London, innsbruck , lucerne plus many others on your doorstep 

Europe , in my humble opinion is the greatest continent on the planet , and the various stats ,verify this .

Europe always has 7 or 8 places in the top ten , whether that be places to visit or places to live , or quality of life ( at the moment ) 

It's great to have it close to hand .

2 couples I know have recently moved to the Costa del sol .

Back to the u.k in the Spanish summer when it gets too hot - 

Back to the u.k for Christmas and new year 

That takes some beating 

No one place suits all, that’s the joy of choice. I lived in Germany as a child, was sent to France every summer to stay with an originally unknown French family who spoke no English in my teens. Was a stewardess and have visited and stayed in loads of European cities, spent many holidays in Tunisia, in the 1960’s, travelled in the desert, stayed in an oasis, and troglodyte place where Star Wars was filmed. Have lived in 5 different countries so am totally aware of the charms of many places, but am confident of where I now prefer to live, but also completely understand that other people prefer a different life style, as I said that’s the joy that there are so many different places in the world to choose where to live, without having to justify it.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Parley said:

Don't tell me you read the Daily Mail too ? 

I read all papers. Why would you only want to hear one side of the story? Because you need confirmation of your beliefs. I know my beliefs. I'm happy for them to be challenged.

Now, care to comment on the article?

Edited by newjez
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, newjez said:

I read all papers. Why would you only want to hear one side of the story? Because you need confirmation of your beliefs. I know my beliefs. I'm happy for them to be challenged.

Obvious, DM trying to plant in people’s minds that melting of the ice caps is survivable,  climate change is nonsense even the Abos  know it.

5 hours ago, newjez said:

True nj - theres a few on here guilty of that .

Just cementing their own opinions 

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

I think I want to move to the Lake District! Are there any jobs here lol

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Red Rose said:

I think I want to move to the Lake District! Are there any jobs here lol

not enough...outdoor pursuits, service sector or retirees in the main.  Very busy in summer as the roads are not built for high volume. 

Know a guy who's a mountain bike guide,  a women who runs a beauty therapist and does craft fairs, and a few who live there but commute to work down the M6 to Preston.  What makes it good is that it's fairly remote and not a lot of people live there, but the bloody tourists spoil it and they're the ones who bring you the income 😉 .  Swings and roundabouts.

Edited by Slean Wolfhead
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, ramot said:

No one place suits all, that’s the joy of choice. I lived in Germany as a child, was sent to France every summer to stay with an originally unknown French family who spoke no English in my teens. Was a stewardess and have visited and stayed in loads of European cities, spent many holidays in Tunisia, in the 1960’s, travelled in the desert, stayed in an oasis, and troglodyte place where Star Wars was filmed. Have lived in 5 different countries so am totally aware of the charms of many places, but am confident of where I now prefer to live, but also completely understand that other people prefer a different life style, as I said that’s the joy that there are so many different places in the world to choose where to live, without having to justify it.

I also lived in Germany for 3 1/2 years.  Such a long time ago 

16 hours ago, Bulya said:

Pommyland is crowded and polluted.  Better to have some space imho

No no no.  There are masses of huge empty spaces - Northumberland, County Durham and swathes of Scotland for a start.  No more polluted than any other first world country.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toots said:

No no no.  There are masses of huge empty spaces - Northumberland, County Durham and swathes of Scotland for a start.  No more polluted than any other first world country.

It is unfortunately.  London recently passed its annual allowable pollution in five days.  How have they let it get to that? Then there’s the fallout from Chernobyl that still affects swathes of countryside and hundreds of farms.  Not the place for adults, let alone kids!

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/environment/chernobyl-still-causing-cancer-in-british-children-6102980.html%3famp

Actually in term of having got a ‘relative’ grip pollution, in developed countries - UK is streaks ahead.
  • Like 2

a bit of a touchy subject. 

• Like 1