Jump to content
JonandSophietravel

Adelaide Suburb Maps

Recommended Posts

Hi guys.

My wife and I are hoping to be granted a 489 in the coming months and will be moving to Adelaide. In order to help figure out where we want to live, I've been making some maps of the Adelaide inner suburbs based on things like their Homely rating, distance to shopping malls, cinemas, supermarkets, etc, so I'd like to share them here in case anyone else can find a benefit. They are designed as 'heat maps', so they don't go into detail about each location but are designed to give a good overview, so you can tell the distance to certain amenities from the suburbs you are considering.

The maps are high resolution so you can zoom in and see street names and things and I've done quite a large number of suburbs, although I obviously had to stop somewhere, so apologies if the place you're looking at isn't covered. 

In this thread, I'm posting the 4 I've made so far but will add any more if I make them.

1 - Homely Ratings - Taken from Homely.com.au based on their suburb ratings out of 10

2 - Supermarkets - I've gone for Coles and Woolworths, as they're usually the biggest. I haven't included Foodland, IGA and other brands as sometimes they're a lot smaller and I wasn't able to fully research their sizes.

3 - Shopping malls/streets - Any decently sized shopping centre and a selection of streets that have a load of shops too.

4 - Cinemas/Theatres - I think I have them all covered that appeared in a few google map searches but some smaller or independent ones might have been missed

Click on each image below to load of the high-res version - If you have any suggestions or comments at all, I'd love to hear them

Adelaide Suburb Map - Homely Rating - April 2019 Smaller.jpg

Adelaide Suburb Map - Cinemas & Theatres - April 2019 Smaller.jpg

Adelaide Suburb Map - Malls & Shopping Streets - April 2019 Smaller.jpg

Adelaide Suburb Map - Coles & Woolworths - April 2019 Smaller.jpg


This post has been promoted to an article
Edited by JonandSophietravel
Added sentence
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

  • Occupation: 323316 - Watchmaker, Visa: State-sponsored (SA) 489 visa, high points category
  • Points: 80 = Age (30), Qualification (15), Experience (5), Language (20), SA 489 (10)
  • Passed IELTS: 9, 9, 8, 9: 20/07/2018TRA application lodged: 24/07/2018TRA positive result: 15/10/18
  • SkillSelect EOI lodged: 16/10/18SA application lodged: 18/10/18SA acceptance: 06/12/18
  • Visa lodged: 13/12/18Visa granted: 20/06/19
  • Arrive in Adelaide: 26th August 2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/05/2019 at 19:49, JonandSophietravel said:

Hi guys.

My wife and I are hoping to be granted a 489 in the coming months and will be moving to Adelaide. In order to help figure out where we want to live, I've been making some maps of the Adelaide inner suburbs based on things like their Homely rating, distance to shopping malls, cinemas, supermarkets, etc, so I'd like to share them here in case anyone else can find a benefit. They are designed as 'heat maps', so they don't go into detail about each location but are designed to give a good overview, so you can tell the distance to certain amenities from the suburbs you are considering.

The maps are high resolution so you can zoom in and see street names and things and I've done quite a large number of suburbs, although I obviously had to stop somewhere, so apologies if the place you're looking at isn't covered. 

In this thread, I'm posting the 4 I've made so far but will add any more if I make them.

1 - Homely Ratings - Taken from Homely.com.au based on their suburb ratings out of 10

2 - Supermarkets - I've gone for Coles and Woolworths, as they're usually the biggest. I haven't included Foodland, IGA and other brands as sometimes they're a lot smaller and I wasn't able to fully research their sizes.

3 - Shopping malls/streets - Any decently sized shopping centre and a selection of streets that have a load of shops too.

4 - Cinemas/Theatres - I think I have them all covered that appeared in a few google map searches but some smaller or independent ones might have been missed

Click on each image below to load of the high-res version - If you have any suggestions or comments at all, I'd love to hear them

Adelaide Suburb Map - Homely Rating - April 2019 Smaller.jpg

Adelaide Suburb Map - Cinemas & Theatres - April 2019 Smaller.jpg

Adelaide Suburb Map - Malls & Shopping Streets - April 2019 Smaller.jpg

Adelaide Suburb Map - Coles & Woolworths - April 2019 Smaller.jpg

Hi there

This is amazing, thanks for sharing all your hard work! We are hoping to hear back on my Partner Visa soon with a . move out later this year  - we have a 2yr old and a 3yr old so trying to settle on suburbs is like playing pin the tail on the donkey! We are currently interested in the easter, south eastern city suburbs, the eastern coastal suburbs and possibly just into the south eastern hills.....I think this is just the thing we need to start narrowing down a bit.

Nice to know we're not the only ones heading to Adelaide too.

Cheers

  • Like 1

309/100 application lodged 26/11/2018 (No Agent)

Medical done 01/12/2018

2 x certified 888 forms uploaded 05/12/2018 & 07/12/2018

Forms 80 & 1221 uploaded 01/02/2019

Certified 40SP form (Sponsors) uploaded 02/02/2019

UK Police checks for me and my wife (sponsor) uploaded 18/03/2019

Australian Police check (sponsor) uploaded 29/03/2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to say that many IGA/foodlands are as big as the local Coles/Woolies options and often better!  Also ALDI......

 

  • Like 1

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for these. We just got granted our visa last week so busy looking at temporary places to stay in July while we get to know areas so this helps heaps. 

Over the last 3 years of being on this site we have had so information, help & support.

I am working near the airport and with 2 young adults coming who don’t drive, easy link to colleges and the city / shopping malls for possible work are our main priorities for living. 

Very kind of you to post these! 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Occupation: Room Leader
State: SA
Visa type: 187 RSMS
Applicants: 6
Country: UK
Nomination lodged: June 2018
Visa lodged:  June 2018

Visa Granted 24th April 2019

 IMMI Status finalised

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is great, thank you for sharing! We are hoping to be in Adelaide early next year! I can’t wait. We are a family of 4 with 2 young children. I have been looking around Henley beach area..Fulham Gardens seems like a nice suburb?! X 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/06/2019 at 15:48, Mrs_Ob said:

This is great, thank you for sharing! We are hoping to be in Adelaide early next year! I can’t wait. We are a family of 4 with 2 young children. I have been looking around Henley beach area..Fulham Gardens seems like a nice suburb?! X 

Hi,

we too are a family of 4 with 2 young children (2&3) heading over to Adelaide in the autumn (my wife & kids all have citizenship, I’ve just got my 309/100 PR visa)

we’re going in circles around suburbs, I guess that’s because quite a few seem nice. Initially we thought city (wife’s mom is in Prospect) then loved the views and space in Belair and surrounding (maybe not the snakes and spiders) then the beach suburbs of Henley/ Glenelg, after all, surely that’s the dream? Then the eastern suburbs like Toorak gardens.

Now completely confused. We need to think about the schools too!

 


309/100 application lodged 26/11/2018 (No Agent)

Medical done 01/12/2018

2 x certified 888 forms uploaded 05/12/2018 & 07/12/2018

Forms 80 & 1221 uploaded 01/02/2019

Certified 40SP form (Sponsors) uploaded 02/02/2019

UK Police checks for me and my wife (sponsor) uploaded 18/03/2019

Australian Police check (sponsor) uploaded 29/03/2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It really does depend what you want.  And what you can afford.  Many suburbs don’t have much there apart from houses, a park and maybe a coffee shop you have to get in the car for everything.

We prefer to be able to walk to restaurants and shops and places to go in the evening, but then we don’t have young kids at home now.

Do be aware that some suburbs get a lot of aircraft noise, even the expensive ones like North Adelaide and Walkerville and Glenelg.  It can vary within those areas so you need to be there to know for sure.

We loved living in Norwood close to the city and now love HAHNDORF in the Hills.  

Also check out public transport, trams and trains.

You really need to make a list of must haves, desirable and things you don’t want, then look and see if you can afford them.

You really need to spend time on the ground to be sure.

 

 


So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes too it is worthwhile looking a bit beyond as it is a bit cheaper, more space.

We have ended up living in Seaford (well, Seaford Meadows to be precise) right in the far south of Adelaide.  But, we live a 3 minute walk from the train station (which can get us into the CBD within 35 minutes, depending on the train but tops is 50) We have a good size shopping centre here and also a smaller one. Both have a Woolworths and the larger one has a Drakes.  There is also a new-ish Aldi.  A few kms up the road, 5 mins by train or 10 by car is the Collonades Shopping Mall which has a lot, including three supermarkets and the usual chain stores and the Nourlunga Centre itself has everything from a cinema, theatre, Centrelink, Hospital and so on.

And that's before getting to the glorious beaches...

Interesting note from rammygirl above about aircraft noise, we do get that down here, some days more than others - but, we lived right on the Gatwick flight path and stacking route (something which doesn't exist here!) in the UK and so are used to it.  It really is not an issue, even if it appears to be a relatively new thing going by some comments on the local Facebook community forum.

  • Like 1

Kirsty is the main applicant. Vetassess rec/proc 17/12/13 (finally) a positive assessment 10/06/14. ILETS 19/03/16 overall 8.5 score rec 01/04/16, 190 EOI for SA Lodged 07/12/16. EOI Approved 24/01/17. 190 visa submitted 24/02/17, CO 06/03/17 Medicals 20/03/17. 190 for SA granted 05/04/17. Arrival in SA 22/04/19. It's been quite a journey !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, SteveandKirsty said:

Sometimes too it is worthwhile looking a bit beyond as it is a bit cheaper, more space.

We have ended up living in Seaford (well, Seaford Meadows to be precise) right in the far south of Adelaide.  But, we live a 3 minute walk from the train station (which can get us into the CBD within 35 minutes, depending on the train but tops is 50) We have a good size shopping centre here and also a smaller one. Both have a Woolworths and the larger one has a Drakes.  There is also a new-ish Aldi.  A few kms up the road, 5 mins by train or 10 by car is the Collonades Shopping Mall which has a lot, including three supermarkets and the usual chain stores and the Nourlunga Centre itself has everything from a cinema, theatre, Centrelink, Hospital and so on.

And that's before getting to the glorious beaches...

Interesting note from rammygirl above about aircraft noise, we do get that down here, some days more than others - but, we lived right on the Gatwick flight path and stacking route (something which doesn't exist here!) in the UK and so are used to it.  It really is not an issue, even if it appears to be a relatively new thing going by some comments on the local Facebook community forum.

Nice to know! We were looking at Happy Valley/Aberfoyle Park online, but now we are thinking about Seaford Rise area. We are happy to hear you are enjoying Seaford Meadows and the train is an easy commute. We are looking at arriving in October.

  • Like 1

29/12/17 AHPRA logged,  31/01/2018 AHPRA asked for more docs,  20/02/2018 AHPRA rec'd docs, 27/02/2018 AHPRA extension app'd, 12/03/2018 Reg in principle, 29/03/2018 AHPRA Full Registration, 29/03/2018 Anmac Modified Skills lodged,   15/05/2018 ANMAC Mod skills Assessment +ve,  Aug. 2018 PTE-A (L:85 R:90 S:90 W:90),  South Australia State 190 Sponsorship Applied 08/09/2018, State Sponsorship Approved 08/11/2018, Lodged 190 visa 16/11/2018.  CO Contact for form 47a for migrating adult child, and non-migrating non-dependent adult children  9th April, 2019.    Grant 4th June 2019!!!! Job Offer Aug 2019, Flying to Oz October 2nd 2019✈️🇦🇺🌞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/06/2019 at 07:56, Bensmithoz said:

Hi,

we too are a family of 4 with 2 young children (2&3) heading over to Adelaide in the autumn (my wife & kids all have citizenship, I’ve just got my 309/100 PR visa)

we’re going in circles around suburbs, I guess that’s because quite a few seem nice. Initially we thought city (wife’s mom is in Prospect) then loved the views and space in Belair and surrounding (maybe not the snakes and spiders) then the beach suburbs of Henley/ Glenelg, after all, surely that’s the dream? Then the eastern suburbs like Toorak gardens.

Now completely confused. We need to think about the schools too!

 

Only just saw this post! Are you excited about the move?! So much to think about isn’t there!! We hope to be out there early next year after Xmas! 

I am terrified of spiders I am not going to lie , I am dreading it! We have started to look more towards the hills now as more value for money on houses, looking at mount barker and flagstaff hill! 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The spiders thing is a bit of a fallacy - at least in Adelaide. I swear I see fewer spiders here than I did back in the UK (especially inside the house) and in SA there's only really the redback to worry about which, whilst you will see a few of, providing you don't make a habit of sticking your ungloved hand into dark webby confines around your garden or in your attic etc then you'll have nothing to worry about. If you do get bitten most bites don't need treatment and, if they do, an antivenom is available. I think there's only been one death due to a redback bite in the last 60 years.

The other states however, do have a few nasty spiders. I wouldn't be quite as comfortable sitting on my lawn in some parts of NSW for example due to the funnelweb.

I'd be more worried about brown snakes here in Adelaide. More so in the hills than on the plains. They are a genuine threat and a bite is always serious news. Again, though, sensible precautions such as knowing what to do if you come across or are bitten by a snake and avoiding areas they are likely to be (such as long grass in the summer months) should keep you out of trouble.

The reality is though, most Adelaidians living in metropolitan areas will have nothing to worry about on an average day 🙂


309 visa granted and moved to Adelaide from Brighton UK in 2012. 100 visa and PR granted 2013. Became a citizen on Australia Day 2017. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/07/2019 at 20:20, Mrs_Ob said:

Only just saw this post! Are you excited about the move?! So much to think about isn’t there!! We hope to be out there early next year after Xmas! 

I am terrified of spiders I am not going to lie , I am dreading it! We have started to look more towards the hills now as more value for money on houses, looking at mount barker and flagstaff hill! 🙂 

Hi,

We've just accepted an offer on our house so only now are we starting to get excited...fingers crossed it'll all go through in 6-8 weeks as no upward/downward chain!

Hoping to be in Adelaide by the end of October.....still unable to hand our notices in at work so it's going to be an intense couple of months!

We've gone round in circles so many times now on areas that I'm not sure what we're thinking anymore....interesting to have a look back at the map with homely ratings, some of the widely talked about hot suburbs score lower than we were expecting but so hard to know how accurate they are given your own specific circumstances.

There's certainly some lovely properties with a bot of space up in the hills. eh?


309/100 application lodged 26/11/2018 (No Agent)

Medical done 01/12/2018

2 x certified 888 forms uploaded 05/12/2018 & 07/12/2018

Forms 80 & 1221 uploaded 01/02/2019

Certified 40SP form (Sponsors) uploaded 02/02/2019

UK Police checks for me and my wife (sponsor) uploaded 18/03/2019

Australian Police check (sponsor) uploaded 29/03/2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It will depend where you are working.  You need to be here to decide the real feel and travel times.  

Hills are lovely though, we live in Hahndorf, touristy yes, but a great community.  I can walk to shops, restaurants cafes etc.  Also be out in the countryside and vineyards in a short walk.

You do need to be aware of bushfire risks, different weather to the plains. Many larger properties on acreage don’t have mains sewerage or water and older properties can be very poorly insulated.

I would rent a holiday let for a few weeks and look for a longer 12 month rental to start.  Don’t rush into buying until you know the areas and the market better.


So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/08/2019 at 07:20, rammygirl said:

It will depend where you are working.  You need to be here to decide the real feel and travel times.  

Hills are lovely though, we live in Hahndorf, touristy yes, but a great community.  I can walk to shops, restaurants cafes etc.  Also be out in the countryside and vineyards in a short walk.

You do need to be aware of bushfire risks, different weather to the plains. Many larger properties on acreage don’t have mains sewerage or water and older properties can be very poorly insulated.

I would rent a holiday let for a few weeks and look for a longer 12 month rental to start.  Don’t rush into buying until you know the areas and the market better.

Yeah, I think that's sound advice. love Hahndorf, I'm sat staring at a painting that we bought from "Decor Dreams" right now (which we'll now need to pay to ship back!) 


309/100 application lodged 26/11/2018 (No Agent)

Medical done 01/12/2018

2 x certified 888 forms uploaded 05/12/2018 & 07/12/2018

Forms 80 & 1221 uploaded 01/02/2019

Certified 40SP form (Sponsors) uploaded 02/02/2019

UK Police checks for me and my wife (sponsor) uploaded 18/03/2019

Australian Police check (sponsor) uploaded 29/03/2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×