You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Posted (edited)

Hi guys.

My wife and I are hoping to be granted a 489 in the coming months and will be moving to Adelaide. In order to help figure out where we want to live, I've been making some maps of the Adelaide inner suburbs based on things like their Homely rating, distance to shopping malls, cinemas, supermarkets, etc, so I'd like to share them here in case anyone else can find a benefit. They are designed as 'heat maps', so they don't go into detail about each location but are designed to give a good overview, so you can tell the distance to certain amenities from the suburbs you are considering.

The maps are high resolution so you can zoom in and see street names and things and I've done quite a large number of suburbs, although I obviously had to stop somewhere, so apologies if the place you're looking at isn't covered. 

In this thread, I'm posting the 4 I've made so far but will add any more if I make them.

1 - Homely Ratings - Taken from Homely.com.au based on their suburb ratings out of 10

2 - Supermarkets - I've gone for Coles and Woolworths, as they're usually the biggest. I haven't included Foodland, IGA and other brands as sometimes they're a lot smaller and I wasn't able to fully research their sizes.

3 - Shopping malls/streets - Any decently sized shopping centre and a selection of streets that have a load of shops too.

4 - Cinemas/Theatres - I think I have them all covered that appeared in a few google map searches but some smaller or independent ones might have been missed

Click on each image below to load of the high-res version - If you have any suggestions or comments at all, I'd love to hear them

Adelaide Suburb Map - Homely Rating - April 2019 Smaller.jpg

Adelaide Suburb Map - Cinemas & Theatres - April 2019 Smaller.jpg

Adelaide Suburb Map - Malls & Shopping Streets - April 2019 Smaller.jpg

Adelaide Suburb Map - Coles & Woolworths - April 2019 Smaller.jpg

Edited by JonandSophietravel
Added sentence
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Occupation: 323316 - Watchmaker, Visa: State-sponsored (SA) 489 visa, high points category
  • Points: 80 = Age (30), Qualification (15), Experience (5), Language (20), SA 489 (10)
  • Passed IELTS: 9, 9, 8, 9: 20/07/2018TRA application lodged: 24/07/2018, TRA positive result: 15/10/18
  • SkillSelect EOI lodged: 16/10/18SA application lodged: 18/10/18, SA acceptance: 06/12/18
  • Visa lodged: 13/12/18Visa acceptance: ???, Arrive in Adelaide: ???

On 01/05/2019 at 19:49, JonandSophietravel said:

Hi guys.

My wife and I are hoping to be granted a 489 in the coming months and will be moving to Adelaide. In order to help figure out where we want to live, I've been making some maps of the Adelaide inner suburbs based on things like their Homely rating, distance to shopping malls, cinemas, supermarkets, etc, so I'd like to share them here in case anyone else can find a benefit. They are designed as 'heat maps', so they don't go into detail about each location but are designed to give a good overview, so you can tell the distance to certain amenities from the suburbs you are considering.

The maps are high resolution so you can zoom in and see street names and things and I've done quite a large number of suburbs, although I obviously had to stop somewhere, so apologies if the place you're looking at isn't covered. 

In this thread, I'm posting the 4 I've made so far but will add any more if I make them.

1 - Homely Ratings - Taken from Homely.com.au based on their suburb ratings out of 10

2 - Supermarkets - I've gone for Coles and Woolworths, as they're usually the biggest. I haven't included Foodland, IGA and other brands as sometimes they're a lot smaller and I wasn't able to fully research their sizes.

3 - Shopping malls/streets - Any decently sized shopping centre and a selection of streets that have a load of shops too.

4 - Cinemas/Theatres - I think I have them all covered that appeared in a few google map searches but some smaller or independent ones might have been missed

Click on each image below to load of the high-res version - If you have any suggestions or comments at all, I'd love to hear them

Adelaide Suburb Map - Homely Rating - April 2019 Smaller.jpg

Adelaide Suburb Map - Cinemas & Theatres - April 2019 Smaller.jpg

Adelaide Suburb Map - Malls & Shopping Streets - April 2019 Smaller.jpg

Adelaide Suburb Map - Coles & Woolworths - April 2019 Smaller.jpg

Hi there

This is amazing, thanks for sharing all your hard work! We are hoping to hear back on my Partner Visa soon with a . move out later this year  - we have a 2yr old and a 3yr old so trying to settle on suburbs is like playing pin the tail on the donkey! We are currently interested in the easter, south eastern city suburbs, the eastern coastal suburbs and possibly just into the south eastern hills.....I think this is just the thing we need to start narrowing down a bit.

Nice to know we're not the only ones heading to Adelaide too.

Cheers

• Like 1

309/100 application lodged 26/11/2018 (No Agent)

Medical done 01/12/2018

2 x certified 888 forms uploaded 05/12/2018 & 07/12/2018

Forms 80 & 1221 uploaded 01/02/2019

Certified 40SP form (Sponsors) uploaded 02/02/2019

UK Police checks for me and my wife (sponsor) uploaded 18/03/2019

Australian Police check (sponsor) uploaded 29/03/2019

Just to say that many IGA/foodlands are as big as the local Coles/Woolies options and often better!  Also ALDI......

• Like 1

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

Thank you for these. We just got granted our visa last week so busy looking at temporary places to stay in July while we get to know areas so this helps heaps. 

Over the last 3 years of being on this site we have had so information, help & support.

I am working near the airport and with 2 young adults coming who don’t drive, easy link to colleges and the city / shopping malls for possible work are our main priorities for living. 

Very kind of you to post these! 

• Like 1

State: SA
Visa type: 187 RSMS
Applicants: 6
Nomination lodged: June 2018
Visa lodged:  June 2018

Visa Granted 24th April 2019

IMMI Status finalised