Solar

Danny842003

So I really believe every house should have solar on a moral level and not just for the cost saving benefits which are potentially not as great as they once were. So I don’t really need people pointing this fact out as it’s not my key driving  force but a nice additional benefit  

Having said that I know very little about the different brands, installers etc and want to do some research of my own. Does anyone know of any good sources, forums etc for this kind of thing. I live in western Sydney if that makes a difference for the government side of things. 

27 minutes ago, Danny842003 said:

So I really believe every house should have solar on a moral level and not just for the cost saving benefits which are potentially not as great as they once were. So I don’t really need people pointing this fact out as it’s not my key driving  force but a nice additional benefit  

Having said that I know very little about the different brands, installers etc and want to do some research of my own. Does anyone know of any good sources, forums etc for this kind of thing. I live in western Sydney if that makes a difference for the government side of things. 

Actually the cost saving benefits are better now than they have been for some time.  The cost of solar is lower, fuel costs are higher and feed-in rates are rising.

I have found the information on this site useful. https://www.solarquotes.com.au/

And this blog has helped me a great deal. https://mcelectrical.com.au/blog/

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, unzippy said:

If you have the money, yes.  if you don't have the money, insulate first.  No point in wasting power, even if it is free!

This may sound like an ad for solar but a good system if you have the right roof can pay for itself in just 3 years especially here in Queensland.  After that you are in profit.  AGL offer a feed in tariff of 20c per kw/h so if you can fit a 10 kw/h array for around $10,000 on your roof most people should expect to receive a net refund annually on their electricity as opposed to a $2,000+ annual bill.

Even a smaller system will still save you thousands on your power bills.

Until recently I was getting just 6c per kw/h feed in.  Now I get 11c but when I upgrade my solar in the next few weeks I will switch to AGL.

Many people do not hesitate to borrow an extra $10,000 on a better car than they can afford.  This is simply lost money.

I agree that you should insulate as well.  As you can see above the power is not technically ‘free’ even if you are generating it as the power company is now paying a decent rate of return.

Edited by Gbye grey sky
  • Like 1

We got solar in June 2018. A local installer who was knowledgable and not pushy. He was recommended to us.
He suggested not to get a battery yet, his view was they are too expensive and therefore the ROI too long. We paid $6200, got a 6kw system and over the summer quarter this year our bill was just $56 compared with last year, same quarter was $850!!
We are well on track to have a full ROI in under 3 years (his estimate was 2.9 years but currently tracking at 2.1!)
Small changes around household items and using the timer on the dishwasher and washing machine got us to this point.
Ahem, I may also sound like an advert!! [emoji23]

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1