British visa for UK holiday

Wonderingaloud

My husband and I are dual Australian and British citizens and hold passports for both countries. Our children are also dual nationality but only hold Australian passports (we haven’t applied for their British ones).  We are planning a UK holiday later in the year and just wondering what we do for the children to visit the UK? Will they need a holiday visa or do I need to get them a British passport?

Also I presume because we no longer live in UK we will need travel/medical insurance? 

Thanks

Edited by Wonderingaloud
To add question about travel insurance

Legally they can't get a visa to enter Britain if they're British citizens so I think you have to get them their passports. 

You can get reciprocal health care on the NHS while you're in the UK, for essential medical treatment only.   However, that doesn't mean you don't need travel insurance, as you're not covered by anything while you're in transit, and you're also not covered if you need to be repatriated.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, bougti said:

honestly, just by spending 3 months there then coming back soon and spending more time, you’re already going to be throwing up red flags. I’m to the point where I’m considering avoiding the UK all together after my last couple entries. They’re a giant pain in the ass. And with the brexit stuff now it’s just going to get worse probably. I would not make any plans that are reliant upon you getting long-term entry. My last stamp in was for exiting on a specific date significantly shorter than the standard 6 months and if I over stay it I’m fucked. And getting even that took almost an hour of conversation plus onward tickets leaving the UK and returning to the USA. So, that doesn’t answer your question, but just beware, if you have a non traditional travel pattern, which you do, the UK is getting harder and harder to enter.

We are British citizens..... we can come and go as we please and stay as long as we please.

56 minutes ago, Wonderingaloud said:

We are British citizens..... we can come and go as we please and stay as long as we please.

We don't have British Passports anymore and entered the UK on our Australian ones.  Our passports were stamped to say we could stay 3 months.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ali said:

We don't have British Passports anymore and entered the UK on our Australian ones.  Our passports were stamped to say we could stay 3 months.  

Thanks, worth knowing. We have our British passports too and we’re planning to enter on those to save the queues!

12 minutes ago, Wonderingaloud said:

Thanks, worth knowing. We have our British passports too and we’re planning to enter on those to save the queues!

Might be worth getting the children UK passports too

• Like 1

I'd be getting the kids their UK passports too although technically they could just rock up and get a visa stamp on arrival although immigration could look a bit askance at you because if you, with your UK passports,  decided to stay (as you are citizens) your kids probably wouldn't leave when their visa expired and so would be technically undocumented in country and a visa overstayer. They could potentially hassle you over that on arrival. Beats me why people don't keep all their precious passports current, never know when you might need them in a hurry.

Yes you need travel insurance even for UK. If you're not residents you'll need to pay for medical treatment unless it's an emergency.