Is it pointless to apply now??

ozpaul

51 minutes ago, Dean0703 said:

Done well getting in on a 189 or 190 with 75 points. Am I right in saying you can put “Any” for 190 state nomination and see what you get? 

You can, but as most states only want to sponsor people who actually want to be in their state you will probably get "passed over" for someone who has shown a clear decision for that specific state (even though they may have less points than you)

On 05/12/2019 at 05:02, Dean0703 said:

Done well getting in on a 189 or 190 with 75 points. Am I right in saying you can put “Any” for 190 state nomination and see what you get? 

Never ever put 'any' for 190. It only shows zero commitment to the state. 

• Like 1

On 24/11/2019 at 16:41, ozpaul said:

Just got a pre-invite for VICTORIA.

😀

Happy Days!

Points 70 + 5 (state VICTORIA)

I have completed the pre-invitation and now awaiting the next stage.

Is it wise to get Police checks and medicals done prior to awaiting for the invitation??

Thanks

Pre invite doesn't mean you'll get invitation 100%. Only small number of applicants actually pass this stage and Victoria is super careful who they invite. Don't do medicals or police checks. Wait for a formal invitation (it takes up to 6 weeks), apply, wait for a few months and only then do medicals and police checks. Plenty of time. 

Good luck

1 hour ago, Martina said:

Pre invite doesn't mean you'll get invitation 100%. Only small number of applicants actually pass this stage and Victoria is super careful who they invite. Don't do medicals or police checks. Wait for a formal invitation (it takes up to 6 weeks), apply, wait for a few months and only then do medicals and police checks. Plenty of time. 

Good luck

This is good advice. Once (if) you get nominated that's only the first hurdle, you now need to qualify for a visa through the immigration vetting process like everyone else.

There are three benefits to state nomination

1) You get some extra points

2) Their selection is based on what they want in their state not a rigid "most points person gets invited next" queue as in the 189; often making it quicker than the 189 queue

3) If they say no you at least haven't spent $4,000 per person on a visa application and another $6-700 on meds and police checks

However getting the nomination only puts you at the same point in the main immigration queue as those called out of the 189 queue. So it can still be a year in processing. Even in the most straightforward cases they aren't getting to the point of looking at your case until it has sat there for 3-4 months.

So apply, if nominated, apply for the actual visa and then cool your heels for a few months before doing meds/police checks. If they get to you earlier than that they'll just send an s56 request for the documents so you can't lose really

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Today we got the invitation from Victoria state for the 190.

Happy Days 😀

Cannot believe it, I know there is still a very long way to go for an actual visa. Still many hurdles!!! 

If i do actually get the visa, can you still work remotely for a UK company whilst in Oz on a 190 visa?

I would ensure i was paying the Oz tax etc.

Edited by ozpaul
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ozpaul said:

Happy Days 😀

Cannot believe it, I know there is still a very long way to go for an actual visa. Still many hurdles!!! 

If i do actually get the visa, can you still work remotely for a UK company whilst in Oz on a 190 visa?

I don't think you can you have to be employed in the state you have the visa for I believe. 

If you set up as a AUS company and worked for the UK company through that you'd be okay.

Otherwise you'd never meet the working in the state requirement for your visa

3 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

I don't think you can you have to be employed in the state you have the visa for I believe. 

If you set up as a AUS company and worked for the UK company through that you'd be okay.

Otherwise you'd never meet the working in the state requirement for your visa

I agree.   It's very easy to set yourself up as a "sole trader", basically all you need is to register for a ABN (Australian Business Number). Then all you do is declare your business income on your personal tax return.  

There is a catch, though:  you'll have to find other clients as well as your UK one.   If you work for only one client, then the ATO will say you're not a genuine contractor, you are an employee - and you'll be back where you started.  

On 24/01/2020 at 14:54, ozpaul said:

Happy Days 😀

Congratulations to you - what are yo ur jobs and what were your points and where did all your points come from? 

Am I right in saying the standard points test isn’t as important for 190 nominations... 

How long did it take as well, 190 VIC is my current preferred route.