Is it pointless to apply now??

ozpaul

Hi all,

I am currently going through the process of applying for an Australian visa, 189 or 190.

My wife has had here skills assessed and approved (secondary school teacher).

I am currently awaiting my skills and qualifications to be assessed by Engineers Australia. 

But i have still got to get the required 20 points, superior English as i have failed to get previous attempts of PTE and IELTS at this required level.

Basically all going well with assessment and English test, i can only receive a maximum of 65 points, due to being 42 years old.

But with the skills and qualifications still awaiting assessment (handed in about 7 weeks ago), should i just pull the plug on it and ask for a refund?

I cannot see anyone getting invited with points as low as 65, so looks like the OZ dream is over.

The only way possible would be to get a sponsorship, but again how can this be done as they have tightened on this as well.

I just need to know if there is any kind of hope out there please!!!

1 hour ago, ozpaul said:

Hi all,

I am currently going through the process of applying for an Australian visa, 189 or 190.

My wife has had here skills assessed and approved (secondary school teacher).

I am currently awaiting my skills and qualifications to be assessed by Engineers Australia. 

But i have still got to get the required 20 points, superior English as i have failed to get previous attempts of PTE and IELTS at this required level.

Basically all going well with assessment and English test, i can only receive a maximum of 65 points, due to being 42 years old.

But with the skills and qualifications still awaiting assessment (handed in about 7 weeks ago), should i just pull the plug on it and ask for a refund?

I cannot see anyone getting invited with points as low as 65, so looks like the OZ dream is over.

The only way possible would be to get a sponsorship, but again how can this be done as they have tightened on this as well.

I just need to know if there is any kind of hope out there please!!!

I'm older than you and got my NSW pre-invite for sponsorship earlier this month, 48 hours after lodging the EOI.

65 base points just like you have. 

So don't lose heart yet...

• Like 1

Only the primary applicant need to do the English test so if this isn't you it might be good news.

If you are the primary applicant can it be switched around and your wife takes the test?

If not don't give up!! It took me many attempts and I finally cracked it, I now hold a visa and fly out in a couple of weeks.

If the changes in November go through then you should be able to get a further 5 points for your partner speaking English which should move you up the queue slightly.  Additionally, if you don't mind living out in Regional Australia, then the new visa changes should swing things in your favour a bit too.  We also don't know what the elections in 3 weeks will mean, 189/190 could get a bit of a boost depending on how things go there.

3 hours ago, mt9754 said:

If the changes in November go through then you should be able to get a further 5 points for your partner speaking English which should move you up the queue slightly.  Additionally, if you don't mind living out in Regional Australia, then the new visa changes should swing things in your favour a bit too.  We also don't know what the elections in 3 weeks will mean, 189/190 could get a bit of a boost depending on how things go there.

He would actually get 5 further points due to his partner being skilled, rather than her English language ability. He would be on par with single applications, but a leg up on those with unskilled partners. 

Ozpaul, you should be looking into the 489/491 if you don’t think you’d qualify for the 190. At first glance, if your wife can score 55 points plus 10 for state sponsorship as a secondary school teacher, then you could apply for NSW or Tasmania. 

See these options presently open for secondary school teachers 489:

https://www.migration.tas.gov.au/skilled_migrants/skilled_regional

https://www.rdasi.org.au/regional-migration/state-sponsored-migration-489-visa

Edited by CivCdn

Do you thinks the points will increase for the 190 after the elections? 

I'm a Mental Health  Nurse, with 65 points too. I'm waiting on an invite from Victoria! 

On 29/04/2019 at 14:00, Ausvisitor said:

I'm older than you and got my NSW pre-invite for sponsorship earlier this month, 48 hours after lodging the EOI.

65 base points just like you have. 

So don't lose heart yet...

So contrary to what’s suspected, 65 base points (state sponsored 190?) is still possible?

im an electrician with 65 points looking to EOI for a 190 for NSW. There maybe hope?

4 minutes ago, Joe/Rose said:

So contrary to what’s suspected, 65 base points (state sponsored 190?) is still possible?

im an electrician with 65 points looking to EOI for a 190 for NSW. There maybe hope?

Well I guess it must be possible based on my experience, haven't had the approval of the nomination back yet but have paid the 300 AUD fee about 2 weeks ago now - it's apparently 4-6 weeks to get the invite to apply with nomination from the point of paying.

Ultimately the time to get a nomination depends on how many people with the same ANZSCO code as you are already in their queue (and how many they intend to invite for that occupation each month)

They invite in this order from their website.

1. Occupation

2. Score

3. English Language

4. Work Experience

5. Time in queue

So if you have 80 points in a "common" category and everyone else has 85 and they only nominate one a month then you are in for a wait. conversely if you are applying for a rarer code with 60 points (and then an extra 5 for nomination) and there is no one else in the queue with that code (and they are nominating in that code) then you sail through in a few days

Of course in reality it is a law unto itself and trying to second guess is impossible. We thought we would be in for a 3-6 month wait, so it coming back so fast was a massive shock

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply.

I see what your saying yes, it’s interesting that they put one’s English language ability, before work experience. They really are pushing this point. This is almost telling me, I need to go back to the drawing board & do the PTE test again, in the hope of achieving 20 points instead of 10!

As score, is second on the order list.

10 minutes ago, Joe/Rose said:

Thanks for the reply.

I see what your saying yes, it’s interesting that they put one’s English language ability, before work experience. They really are pushing this point. This is almost telling me, I need to go back to the drawing board & do the PTE test again, in the hope of achieving 20 points instead of 10!

As score, is second on the order list.

I wouldn't go back, you have a valid application with your current points, i would in your position though think about taking it again if you think you can up your points to 79+ as you can then adjust your current application (if you haven't already been selected) to include the new points.

With PTE and IELTS it is all about "on the day" - so the next time you take it, it will be different.

(I'm still fuming at having to take it in the first place - I've got a masters degree in English Language and apparently that doesn't prove proficiency and language understanding but a £150 3 hour computer test does - oh well!!!)

Thanks all for all the comments.

It is certainly still giving me some hope.

I have recently had feedback from Engineers Australia in regards to my skills and qualifications assessment.

I have applied as an Electrical Engineering Draftsperson, but I have received the following reply,

Dear Paul,

I am writing to address the queries you have in regards to your MSA application.

1. Updated reference letter according to the listed requirements in the previous email is necessary for WOOD employment.

2. ANZSCO definition of Electrical Engineering Draftsperson is as follow:

Prepares detailed drawings and plans of electrical installations and circuitry in support of Electrical Engineers and Engineering Technologists. Registration or licensing may be required. The duties reflected in all employment records does NOT align with ANZSCO definition of Electrical Engineering Draftsperson. Therefore, as indicated in previous email please let us know your preference forward out of the potential outcome listed below.

1.  Engineering Associate (Electrical Draftsperson) with NO work experience being recognised.

2. Engineering Technologist (233914) - work experience can potentially be recognised provided all the shortcomings mentioned above being addressed.

Warm Regards,
Case Assessor

I am confused as I currently work as an Electrical & Instrumentation Designer within the Oil & Gas Industry so I believe it is more closely related to the Engineering Associate job position, but they state this will give me NO work experience. But I have over 15 years experience as a Designer, which in the UK is closely related to Draftsperson, as I create drawings, material requisitions etc. and work closely with Engineers on projects. How do I get Engineers Australia to accept my job as an Engineering Associate? 

Can help, much appreciated.

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Finally got my qualifications and work assessed

ENGINEERS AUSTRALIA came back and gave me an ENGINEERING ASSOCIATE (ELECTRICAL DRAFTSPERSON) with overseas experience of over 8 years.

Also my HNC was approved as being equivalent to AQF Diploma.

Happy days 😀 , on wards to the next step of trying to get +79 in the PTE. 

• Like 1

On 19/07/2019 at 21:49, ozpaul said:

Finally got my qualifications and work assessed

ENGINEERS AUSTRALIA came back and gave me an ENGINEERING ASSOCIATE (ELECTRICAL DRAFTSPERSON) with overseas experience of over 8 years.

Also my HNC was approved as being equivalent to AQF Diploma.

Happy days 😀 , on wards to the next step of trying to get +79 in the PTE. 

Nice one Paul, Oz awaits you!

What state will you relocate to? 

ATN

• 1 month later...

Next stage of the Visa process done.

Went for the PTE on Tuesday 3rd September 2019 and got results the next day.

Score of +79 in all categories, so can finally add Superior English to my visa.

I have just submitted the EOI for a 189, but I can only get a maximum 65 points. 

I was wondering how do I add more than 1 state if I add the 190 to my EOI please?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just got a pre-invite for VICTORIA.

😀

Happy Days!

Points 70 + 5 (state VICTORIA)

I have completed the pre-invitation and now awaiting the next stage.

Is it wise to get Police checks and medicals done prior to awaiting for the invitation??

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Congratulations 1

4 hours ago, ozpaul said:

Just got a pre-invite for VICTORIA.

😀

Happy Days!

Points 70 + 5 (state VICTORIA)

I have completed the pre-invitation and now awaiting the next stage.

Is it wise to get Police checks and medicals done prior to awaiting for the invitation??

Thanks

No. Wait till requested. 

• 2 weeks later...