EOI now with 75pts or wait for 5 extra points

Hi

We're planning to apply for a 189 visa (software engineer with 75 points + 5 partner points), however, we're still waiting for the partner skills assessment to come back. 

The question is, would it be worthwhile to submit an EOI with 75 pts, given that 80 pts was the minimum in the April selection round? Is it likely to go down again or is it most likely on the rise until the August round?

(State sponsorship is only a plan C at this stage as we're hoping for a 189 once the skills assessment comes back positive and we can claim the extra 5pts.)

Thanks for your thoughts

May as well put it in they don't cost anything. We are coming close to the 11th may (the "draw" is every 11th) so if you stick in a 75 EOI then you might get lucky 

Once you get the partner points proven you just edit your EOI to be 80 points - it will change your date of expression, however it will only be the same date as if you waited to get proof of the 80.

Which state are you planning to live in, because I don't see a reason not to include a 190 application at the same time for the state you want to live in 

• Like 1

Personally I would submit with 75 pts so you're hopefully set for an invite later in the year, estimates pinpoint an invitation of around October / November (volatile estimate, subject to change!).  Even if the partner assessment came in today and you submitted an EOI with 80pts today, you're unlikely to get an invite before July / August.

When your partner's assessment comes through, you can update the EOI and hopefully get an invite sooner, and if the partner assessment hits an unexpected road block, you'll be safe in the knowledge you're already set up as much as you can be for later in the year.  

@Ausvisitor TBH we haven't got a preferred state as we have no family in Aus and no jobs lined up. Other than NT we would be happy to go where the first job offer comes from. It seems a bit risky to "tie ourselves down" for two years, but maybe I'm wrong thinking about that this way.

@mt9754 Thanks for that advice. I was thinking along the same lines but were unsure if it's worthwile to submit now. It does make sense though as at least we would be in the 75 queue already. 

You don't lose anything by sticking in your EOI at 75 for a 189 visa. You might though gain an unexpected invite (unlikely but stranger things have happened).

I got my 190 pre-invite within 48 hours of submitting it - so it all depends on if you care greatly about where you are going to live.

EOI submitted ✅

@Ausvisitor 48 hours sound insanely fast! Which state did you apply to?

We want to do a bit of travelling before settling down, but our choice will inevitably be influenced by jobs.

NSW or Vic would be the possibilities as no other states sponsor my occupation at the moment (this is potentially a different story after July). If we had to go for 190 we would probably chose NSW and try bigger towns outside of Sydney. My partners occupation would open up other state sponsorship options too, but for now we'll just keep our fingers crossed for a 189.

Good luck with your visa!

16 hours ago, AlejandroC said:

EOI submitted ✅

@Ausvisitor 48 hours sound insanely fast! Which state did you apply to?

We want to do a bit of travelling before settling down, but our choice will inevitably be influenced by jobs.

NSW or Vic would be the possibilities as no other states sponsor my occupation at the moment (this is potentially a different story after July). If we had to go for 190 we would probably chose NSW and try bigger towns outside of Sydney. My partners occupation would open up other state sponsorship options too, but for now we'll just keep our fingers crossed for a 189.

Good luck with your visa!

I think you'd struggle to find "big towns outside Sydney" that are looking for software engineers. Almost every company that employs your skillset is based in Sydney CBD, Melbourne CBD or Perth CBD. It's a vanity thing they don't want to be seen as not as successful as the competition so they all cluster in a couple of square miles in three or four cities

3 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

I think you'd struggle to find "big towns outside Sydney" that are looking for software engineers. Almost every company that employs your skillset is based in Sydney CBD, Melbourne CBD or Perth CBD. It's a vanity thing they don't want to be seen as not as successful as the competition so they all cluster in a couple of square miles in three or four cities

You’re right