Where to live Sudney

Janey V

Hi All

I'm new here. 

We were supposed to be going to WA and be near family but changed visas and will be going it alone in Sydney,which is loads more than perth for housing! Can anyone recommend a good area but not overly expensive maybe $600-800 a week for at least 3 bedrooms, we would love to be by the beaches but that budget is to low, so hoping for somewhere around 20-30mins away possibly, also good schools as well would be great! Don't have jobs yet but might do that when we get there so will need to be by engineering and admin work as well. I have looked at loads of places and read loads of reviews so far and feel very confused! 

Thanks again 

What visa do you have?   If it's for NSW, then you don't have to go to Sydney.   There are several other large towns to choose from, where you could have a lovely house near the beach for that money.   For instance, Newcastle is a large city with beautiful beaches (which you could afford to live near!), and its economy is doing well.  

It might take you a bit longer to find work - but consider, because your rental expenses will be so much lower, you wouldn't be under so much pressure to find work.

Homely.com.au is the best place to find information about suburbs.   Note that some of the reviews are written by estate agents trying to "talk up" the suburb, but you soon learn to recognise them!

Edited by Marisawright

Thanks Mariaswright! I'm glad you knew it was Sydney haha made a spelling mistake! Its a 190 visa. We haven't looked at Newcastle as we just assumed Sydney would be best for jobs. Can you suggest any good places in Newcastle please or places to avoid even no disrespect to any residence but with young kids we would like a nice friendly place? my main concern is to not move from place to place as our child will be in school and it's already a big change moving from the UK and that there is engineering work. Thanks again for your advice. 

Edited by Janey V

I'm not that familiar with the Newcastle suburbs.   However, I had two colleagues who got transferred to our Sydney office when the Newcastle office closed.   They refused to relocate their families to Sydney, because they felt Newcastle was a much better place to bring up children.   Both of them had a two-hour commute each way every day.   One of them found a job locally after several months but the other one stuck it out for well over a year.  It was a tough decision for him, because he loved his job, but he was adamant about not moving the kids. That has always stuck in my mind!

Newcastle used to have a bad rap as a "working class town" but it has changed enormously in the last twenty years or so.   Like I said, I don't have much recent experience, but Gordon lived in New Lambton and I think Eric lived in The Hill (those are the two men I mentioned).  I've also heard people say nice things about The Junction and Hamilton. 

https://www.visitnewcastle.com.au/nobbys-beach

Thanks so much for you help and such a quick response! I am going to look at those places! Its great to have a place to ask questions! I think our plan is to look for a job for my husband before we leave (if possible) but if it takes to long we will just go there (wherever looks good in the end for the kiddies) and hope for the best 🙂 

Stupid question - but you edited a post later on? eg I'd like to change the Sydney spelling haha (I can see the edit part just after a comment but cant find it when I go back

Edited by Janey V

2 hours ago, Janey V said:

Thanks so much for you help and such a quick response! I am going to look at those places! Its great to have a place to ask questions! I think our plan is to look for a job for my husband before we leave (if possible) but if it takes to long we will just go there (wherever looks good in the end for the kiddies) and hope for the best 🙂 

Stupid question - but you edited a post later on? eg I'd like to change the Sydney spelling haha (I can see the edit part just after a comment but cant find it when I go back

The great majority of migrants don't get a job before they leave, unless they're in very senior positions or have a skill that's in desperately short supply, so don't get your hopes up too much about finding a job before you go.  

I can understand feeling attracted to Sydney because of better job prospects, but I would be worried if you take that route.  We've seen a few PomsinOz migrants heading home because they can't afford a decent quality of life in Sydney. It can be done but at the expense of a long commute, and it's unlikely you'll be anywhere near a beach (did you know that the average Sydney resident lives way out in the west of the city, at least  an hour from the nearest beach?).  

Just to add, a few people have said that moving to Australia and choosing Sydney is the same as moving to England and choosing London. 

London and Sydney are nothing like each other in size, culture etc.  The similarity lies in the fact that London is ridiculously more expensive than most of the rest of the UK - and the same goes for Sydney in Australia. 

Thanks for your help, we only recently changed Visa and NSW was the easiest! but like you said Sydney is so expensive and has made us a bit worried but we really want warmer weather! (originally from South Africa). I have also been looking at the West (Sydney) - any  advice on Beaumount Hills, Kellyville, Rousehill? A bit of commute but looks like there is a new train coming, we don't actually know if we will be in the CBD for work as I have seen lots in Parmatta and Castle Hills. Thanks again for your help - we definitely want to make it work 

Edited by Janey V

10 hours ago, Janey V said:

Thanks for your help, we only recently changed Visa and NSW was the easiest! but like you said Sydney is so expensive and has made us a bit worried but we really want warmer weather! (originally from South Africa). I have also been looking at the West (Sydney) - any  advice on Beaumount Hills, Kellyville, Rousehill? A bit of commute but looks like there is a new train coming, we don't actually know if we will be in the CBD for work as I have seen lots in Parmatta and Castle Hills. Thanks again for your help - we definitely want to make it work 

You'll certainly get warmer weather in Rouse Hill, but be careful what you wish for!    Take a look at the annual weather forecast for Sydney and you'll notice that those far Western suburbs are always two or three degrees hotter than the coast.  When it's 30 degrees in Bondi, it can often be 35 degrees in Kellyville.  Plus there's no sea breeze, so it's high humidity as well.   

Everyone reacts differently to humidity, so you may not be bothered by it, whereas others (like me) would find it unbearable.  If you can find work around Parramatta then another option is to live in the Blue Mountains, where the altitude brings more pleasant weather, more rural surroundings, and a breeze.  

Personally, I find the suburbs you mention depressing.   The vibrancy of Sydney itself is like another world, and you're about 50 kilometres to the nearest beach.  They are basically dormitory suburbs, because most people are commuting so far, and it's a very long way to any kind of cultural activities. However, it may be a different story for someone with a young family, where your social life would probably revolve around Sunday braai's and networking with other parents.  

Edited by Marisawright

Hello once again thank you so much for replying 😊 its great to have help! 11 years ago we might have been use to the humidity but not now haha. We don't want to be isolated especially when we don't know anyone so maybe not that far up west. I don't want to keep pestering you so I will ask about 1 more place - Oatley (more expensive but my budget is based on my husband working only once I get a job we will be able to afford more but also I don't like wasting on rent as we want to buy ASAP) looks pretty close to CBD and parmatta both places that seem to have work for us and close to beaches could be a winner! Thanks again and have a great weekend 

39 minutes ago, Janey V said:

Hello once again thank you so much for replying 😊 its great to have help! 11 years ago we might have been use to the humidity but not now haha. We don't want to be isolated especially when we don't know anyone so maybe not that far up west. I don't want to keep pestering you so I will ask about 1 more place - Oatley (more expensive but my budget is based on my husband working only once I get a job we will be able to afford more but also I don't like wasting on rent as we want to buy ASAP) looks pretty close to CBD and parmatta both places that seem to have work for us and close to beaches could be a winner! Thanks again and have a great weekend 

Oatley is gorgeous, I used to live there.  Like a little village, which is highly unusual for a Sydney suburb. The only thing is you might find it hard to get your child into the primary school, as it has such a good reputation people are always lining up to get in. 

You could also have a look at Sutherland Shire. Rents (and house prices in general) tend to be a bit lower, particularly if you're away from the beachside suburbs. Even in the more inland parts of Sutherland Shire you're still only 25 minutes or so from the beach. It's a nice area, easy to commute to the CBD by train, family friendly, good schools, all services and so on that you'd need. We lived near Engadine, and really enjoyed our time there.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Janey V said:

Thanks so much I will have a look there as well 🙂  we don't have to be by the beach (at those prices haha) but would be nice to go at the weekends and 25 mins isn't to bad 🙂

When we first moved over we thought we'd be at the beach every day, but the reality is, when you have work, school and so on, you really only go at weekends anyway, and even then not every weekend. We really loved the beaches in the Royal National Park, and also a bit further down the coast towards Wollongong and beyond.

13 hours ago, Janey V said:

Thanks so much I will have a look there as well 🙂  we don't have to be by the beach (at those prices haha) but would be nice to go at the weekends and 25 mins isn't to bad 🙂

Most Sydney people would kill to be 25 minutes from the beach. But as LKC says, it's only for weekends anyway.   We don't get the long summer nights in Australia, it's dark by 9 pm even at the height of summer, so unless you're an early riser, there's not much time to enjoy the beach after work. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/04/2019 at 23:21, Janey V said:

I live in Kellyville very close to Beaumont Hills, its a bit of a commute from CBD but ideal if you work in Macquarie Park (Australia's Silicon valley) for example and a lot of business is being decentralised away from Sydney CBD to places like Norwest and Parramatta. The new Metro comes online next week and certainly a game changer.  I lived in a few places around Sydney, Randwick/Coogee, Inner West near Burwood/Concord and Baulkham Hills, Castle Hill and now Kellyville and I love it as we find its very clean and very livable. Its not near the beach but I find beaches in Sydney to be overated anyway and bring their own problems to the point I would rather spend the weekend at inlaws beach place on the central coast than waste my time with a Sydney beach as someone said already mentioned the novelty wears off quick enough.  You dont have the sea breeze but the elevation provides enough breeze compared to western Sydney which is valley and a big difference between the temperature of eastern suburbs.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Gagan RN said:

I need room for long term . 

Your best bet is to book a few weeks in holiday accommodation which will give you time to look around at longer term rentals. Realestate.com.au will give you an idea as to what is available in your budget. Visit different areas once you get there to decide where you  would like to be long term.

Be warned that real estate agents in Australia shamelessly photoshop pictures, use fish eye lenses that make places look much bigger than they are and more likely in the case of rentals use pictures that were taken years ago when the place was new so are not likely to represent what is on offer now!

Go to some open for inspections and apply from there.

Good luck.