Suddenly feeling homesick

Jade1991

11 hours ago, Perthbum said:

Always film when sun is shining and we know its not true, always show the best bits of every location and not the worse, always show immaculate houses at unrealistic prices,  they never factor in the cost of schooling rents etc etc.unrealistic wages, unrealistic work hours, it just does not show a true reflection of life in Oz in my opinion

Oh I don’t know, I’ve seen some episodes where they have shown really nasty little houses ... right before they show the really nice one that’s just about affordable, what with the higher wage they’re going to earn, especially if there are two adults who might work - in between spending more time with their families - on the beach ...

1 hour ago, Quoll said:

Yup. I’ve decided that being a grandparent on the other side of the world sucks! Said goodbye to the girls yesterday - stalwart on the outside on both sides but tears on my inside. And I’m not even an enmeshed grandparent!!!!  Last year I met a little girl with her baby sibling and we got chatting she was so excited to be going to see her grandparents and I teared up when all I wanted to say was “and I’m sure your nana will love to see you too!”. Most of the time you cope because you have to, but it’s the little things!!!

Keepus informed on your life back in Oz, hope its good for you quoll

3 minutes ago, Fisher1 said:

Oh I don’t know, I’ve seen some episodes where they have shown really nasty little houses ... right before they show the really nice one that’s just about affordable, what with the higher wage they’re going to earn, especially if there are two adults who might work - in between spending more time with their families - on the beach ...

but its bullshit, they all say I will finish early and afternoons in the week on the beach, it rarely happens by the time you are home after a days work and an hour plus driving the last think you want is a half hour drive to a windy beach with 3 screaming kids....🙂

Edited by Perthbum
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Amber Snowball said:

Yeah. Didn’t read the whole article tbh and then couldn’t find it in my emails. I’ll look again. It was more to illustrate a point!

The fact is nursing isn’t as short as it once was. I think people think everywhere is as short as the NHS but it isn’t. With nursing it is area specific as well but even Ali on here says mental health isn’t as short as it used to be and that has always been a difficult area to recruit to.

That's true here in WA.  When I first started here our health service did recruitment drives in the UK - haven't done that at all now for at least 9 or 10 years.  We got over 50 applicants for 1 RN position.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Perthbum said:

but its bullshit, they all say I will finish early and afternoons in the week on the beach, it rarely happens by the time you are home after a days work and an hour plus driving the last think you want is a half hour drive to a windy beach with 3 screaming kids....🙂

Why don't you just stop watching it PB - obviously upsets you.9

• Like 1

Hello Jade and all,

Ah,  I feel you. 

I've been ping-ponging to and from Sydney since 2007. First time was I met an Australian guy, that didn't work out and I had to move home, kicking and screaming I was but then at the time I was 27. Life seemed 'lighter' I was having so much fun in Sydney (when Sydney was fun!) both my parents were alive etc. Now I find myself back in Sydney, my now husband got sponsored out here (we're both British) and things have changed alot for me.

We both have good jobs (I work for a Uni and he works for bank) we have a great lifestyle, we live in a nice part of town, we have everything except we have nothing. Because no matter how much I write a pros and cons list, you can't argue a 'feeling' and I feel a huge sense of isolation and boredom in Sydney/Australia in general. But not only that, I'm hankering for my roots and to feel that I'm back where I belong - I'm not saying that either country is better or worse - the UK is in a terrible state at the moment! But you can try and rationalise all you like, I just don't feel like I belong in Sydney anymore. I miss my mum so much - she's in her mid 70s and has had one illness after the other. You never get that time back. I know I will get home and there will be things I will miss about being here (the light for one thing) and the food. But that doesn't exactly feed your soul does it? 

Its so hard, I think we all have a hankering for something we don't have, and its normal. Perhaps we accept that wherever we are, a part of us will be somewhere else. But I feel at this stage in my life, where my husband and I are trying for babies, I want to be surrounded by old friends and family. And have that sense of belonging that Sydney can never provide. Life is shiny here, it gives me a lot of pleasure, but does it make me happy and content? No, not like a day down the pub with friends you've known for most of your life. A day with family. I feel like life is shallow here. Surface level stuff. Does that make sense?

I feel for you all. Its not easy.

I hope you all find your place

Sammy 

• Like 8

6 hours ago, SGB38 said:

I've been ping-ponging to and from Sydney since 2007. First time was I met an Australian guy, that didn't work out and I had to move home, kicking and screaming I was but then at the time I was 27. Life seemed 'lighter' I was having so much fun in Sydney (when Sydney was fun!) both my parents were alive etc. Now I find myself back in Sydney, my now husband got sponsored out here (we're both British) and things have changed alot for me.

We both have good jobs (I work for a Uni and he works for bank) we have a great lifestyle, we live in a nice part of town, we have everything except we have nothing. Because no matter how much I write a pros and cons list, you can't argue a 'feeling' and I feel a huge sense of isolation and boredom in Sydney/Australia in general. But not only that, I'm hankering for my roots and to feel that I'm back where I belong 

Your experience is very common, I think.   We see so many people who came to Australia in their carefree twenties and had a ball, and then they move heaven and earth to return as a migrant - and then they discover that it's a different kettle of fish when you are ready to settle down and do adult stuff.  

I would urge you to sit down and talk it over with your husband, and make a plan to return.  It's especially vital if you plan to have children, because once the baby arrives, you can't remove the child from Australia without his consent.  I'm sure you're happily married but we have a number of mothers here who are trapped in Australia because their partner doesn't want to return to the UK, it caused the breakup of the marriage, and the husband refuses permission for the child to leave.

• Like 2

On Monday, April 29, 2019 at 05:29, Perthbum said:

Trick is to live near the beach. Walking distance if possible and a nice beach. 

Also get up early in the summer and go down before work when it's absolutely stunning with no wind. Live near any surf club and there will be heaps of people of all ages and free coaching for whatever you want to do. If you just want to go for a morning stroll then that's fine too.

I've only just stopped going for a morning ski paddle or board training session as its a bit darker. Was down at 7:00 this morning to go in the gym and there were quite a few swimming still.

If you're retired any time will do of course. The weather for most of April has been stunning. No afternoon wind at this time of year so going down after work or afternoon isn't a problem. Admittedly mid summer it's not nice to go down the beach after work, it's usually blowing a gale. Mornings are perfect though.

Sammy, interestingly, a month ago a very well-travelled old man who has lived in multiple countries over many years told me precisely that: Australia *is* a superficial place. It suprised me as he was Aussie. He explained that there is little depth of history and culture (if that's your thing - and it sounds like it is) here. Also it is very isolated. People are overly money focused - have a look at all the cheap ads on TV he said, advertising all the cheap stuff. Discount this, discount that. This already confirmed what I knew. Some will tell you it is what you make of it....

Sure, it's a great place to make some $$$$, have a laid-back lifestyle and go to the beach. Getting into a decent Uni was easy too. Take it from me - I've done all of that - in fact I'm fortunate to live a short walk away from many decent beaches and be able to semi-retire. BUT humans are sometimes never happy - always looking to improve!

When I was in my late teens and early 20's Australia was fun, carefree and generally wonderful. I actually had a great time and consider myself lucky. Now a decade on, I'm looking through that thin veneer and exposing what is underneath. I am wanting more depth to life. Less sun. More stimulation. I'm listening to AND learning from the older generation much, much more. Their experiences are invaluable.

In my personal analysis you are correct! Good luck.

Edited by grizzly111
  • Like 4

I’m old!! I have lived in 5 countries, plus spent a lot of time in the Middle East. Australia being the last of the 5,  and I have been retired here for 16 years, . Australia is a young country, so it isn’t realistic to expect it to have depth of culture and its history is its own. You can’t compare Australia with say Europe. Oh and yes surprise it’s isolated. We have visited every state, and they do have a history of their own, but obviously newer and less.

I spend approximately 3 months  in England most years, things aren’t perfect there, just as Australia has its faults. Some things drive me bananas here,  but so do things in UK.

As regards culture, we are lucky here how many fabulous art collections, exhibitions are bought here for us to enjoy. None of our UK friends bother to take advantage of what’s there, because there’s always tomorrow to go, so they don’t.

I totally sympathise with posters who are unhappy here, and only wish them well, but for the majority over the years I have been on PIO, it’s missing family and the familiarity of ‘home’ that is the driving factor for their unhappiness, which is understandable.

I have moved constantly due to my husband’s job, and had to adapt to far harder countries than Australia. Almost all my family here have emigrated  from Africa and don’t have the option to return irrespective of how homesick, so have had to make a go of it, had children and grandchildren and made it home, but again I understand that many people can’t do that. if you have the option to return to UK, and that will make you happy, then go for it, get citizenship if possible before you return because you never know.

Australia isn’t for everyone and that’s fine, but please don’t knock Australia for not being UK.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, grizzly111 said:

Sammy, interestingly, a month ago a very well-travelled old man who has lived in multiple countries over many years told me precisely that: Australia *is* a superficial place. It suprised me as he was Aussie. He explained that there is little depth of history and culture (if that's your thing - and it sounds like it is) here. Also it is very isolated. People are overly money focused - have a look at all the cheap ads on TV he said, advertising all the cheap stuff. Discount this, discount that. This already confirmed what I knew. Some will tell you it is what you make of it....

Sure, it's a great place to make some $$$$, have a laid-back lifestyle and go to the beach. Getting into a decent Uni was easy too. Take it from me - I've done all of that - in fact I'm fortunate to live a short walk away from many decent beaches and be able to semi-retire. BUT humans are sometimes never happy - always looking to improve!

When I was in my late teens and early 20's Australia was fun, carefree and generally wonderful. I actually had a great time and consider myself lucky. Now a decade on, I'm looking through that thin veneer and exposing what is underneath. I am wanting more depth to life. Less sun. More stimulation. I'm listening to AND learning from the older generation much, much more. Their experiences are invaluable.

Semi-retired in your early 30s!  Australia certainly has been good for you!

Benefits of a good British education 🙂

In all seriousness, yes Australia has been good to me but I've worked very hard to get to this point, made considered decisions in adulthood and had supportive parents that gave me a great start in life. I had to work out through trial and error how to 'play the game' in Australia.  Astute money management plays a starring role as you sidestep the various money grabs along the way. Things are fundamentally costly in Oz (as we all know). When interest rates AND tax rates were higher it compounded this. Especially if you are into the Luxuries. Work ethic is important, especially if you are a foreigner. I could write an entire book but it's all really just common sense. All in all I'd consider myself fortunate.

Edited by grizzly111
  • Like 2

On 29/04/2019 at 07:29, Perthbum said:

I was being ironic 😊

• Like 1

13 hours ago, grizzly111 said:

I've heard all this from people who have moved back to the UK from NZ, Canada and the USA and other places so it doesn't just apply to Australia.  Good luck to them all.  😃

• Like 2

On 01/05/2019 at 01:33, SGB38 said:

Hello Jade and all,

Ah,  I feel you. 

We both have good jobs (I work for a Uni and he works for bank) we have a great lifestyle, we live in a nice part of town, we have everything except we have nothing. Because no matter how much I write a pros and cons list, you can't argue a 'feeling' and I feel a huge sense of isolation and boredom in Sydney/Australia in general. But not only that, I'm hankering for my roots and to feel that I'm back where I belong - I'm not saying that either country is better or worse - the UK is in a terrible state at the moment! But you can try and rationalise all you like, I just don't feel like I belong in Sydney anymore. I miss my mum so much - she's in her mid 70s and has had one illness after the other. You never get that time back. I know I will get home and there will be things I will miss about being here (the light for one thing) and the food. But that doesn't exactly feed your soul does it? 

Its so hard, I think we all have a hankering for something we don't have, and its normal. Perhaps we accept that wherever we are, a part of us will be somewhere else. But I feel at this stage in my life, where my husband and I are trying for babies, I want to be surrounded by old friends and family. And have that sense of belonging that Sydney can never provide. Life is shiny here, it gives me a lot of pleasure, but does it make me happy and content? No, not like a day down the pub with friends you've known for most of your life. A day with family. I feel like life is shallow here. Surface level stuff. Does that make sense?

I feel for you all. Its not easy.

I hope you all find your place

Sammy 

Absolutely makes sense sammy - totally understandable .

Do you have siblings to look after your parents ?.

Because as much as you are missing the u.k ,if you return ,a whole world of responsibility will fall on your shoulders .

It did with us , we had 4 parents alive , we have taken care ,and seen 3 of them pass on .

My beloved mom is now 90 , and needs us , big time .

And , you wont believe this , my wife's sister ,who lives locally , has just been diagnosed with a terminal illness .

So , when you think of the upside of being in the u.k - family , friends , days out .

There is the other side of the coin .

Remember , you could return and get the responsibility box plonked in your lap .

Instead of a weekend in the blue mountains , it's taking your mom to the doctors or shopping 😂

It depends how you are made I suppose .

As soon as there is responsibility and subsequent problems , some people walk towards it , and some make their excuses and run the other way .

If you are coming back for a solid reason , such as , to look after your parents etc ,and be with family , then that is understandable and admirable 

Get your aussie citizenship ,then you have choices

Best of luck,  it's a tough one .

• Like 3

On 01/05/2019 at 09:43, grizzly111 said:

Sounds like you need a bit of " Europe " grizzly , never mind the u.k .

History, art , culture , beaches , architecture , mountains , food , snow , sun , fashion 

Has it all - love it .

You can park yourself in the u.k , as a base , and travel from there 

On 25/04/2019 at 10:17, Jade1991 said:

Hi Poms,

I’ve had a sudden urge to go back to the UK for the first time since I’ve left 2 years ago. Being on holiday and flying back to Australia instead of home is filling me with dread. Does anyone else feel like this?

My partner and I are in our twenties and have been in Australia for over 2 years and have both got our PR. I was pretty certain I wanted to stay in Australia forever but now find myself thinking of what I miss from home- from travelling Europe to sitting watching tele with a Chinese takeaway. I’ve been winding myself up and think I want to move home.   

Just wondering if this feeling will pass or once your get homesick it sticks around?

Thanks

We felt like that shortly after migrating. Trust your heart.  UK is much better.