143 Contributory Parent visa

Rasel Ali

4 hours ago, Mahsa said:

Hi I have applied for visa 143 for my parents in May 2016, does anyone know when we should be expecting our case to be assigned to an officer? Back then the processing time was 33months and it has been 38months since we have applied.

They are processing October 2015 applications at the moment and it seems approximately 4/5  months  max are moving in one year so I’d guess you have a good 18 months left possibly 2 years 

3 hours ago, MelPat said:

Hi, 

my mum and husband have applied for this visa and have just been told they are not eligible but we believe it is incorrect?

she has daughter citizen of Oz

daughter and son  permanent resident of oz

then 2 daughters residents of NZ and 1 in uk

i have looked and looked at the criteria and really believe they qualify, but immigration saying now everyone in Oz must be citizens? Can anyone advise or help? Am I wrong? 

Thanks 

Based on that I think they do qualify but can you confirm that includes all stepchildren as it’s children between both of them that counts 

3 hours ago, MelPat said:

Hi, 

my mum and husband have applied for this visa and have just been told they are not eligible but we believe it is incorrect?

she has daughter citizen of Oz

daughter and son  permanent resident of oz

then 2 daughters residents of NZ and 1 in uk

i have looked and looked at the criteria and really believe they qualify, but immigration saying now everyone in Oz must be citizens? Can anyone advise or help? Am I wrong? 

Thanks 

@MelPat - does your mothers husband have any other children?

• 4 months later...
On 07/07/2019 at 20:16, minisb23 said:

Does CPV 143 and 173 have the same wait time?

I've read just yesterday that the CPV 173 is taking an average of 3 to 3.5 years and if  after that you're going to apply for the CPV 143 it should take another 12 to 18 months. But I don't know how reliable that information is.

Hi, 

I had a question regarding the 2nd VAC payment. My mom applied for 143 in February 2016. I was a dependent on her as I was under 18 at the moment of the visa lodgement. At the time, they said that I had to pay $ 2,000 something for the 2nd VAC payment and my mom to pay the full amount.  However,  now they are saying that I have to pay the full amount for the 2nd VAC payment, I am 20 now. They never mentioned at the beginning of the process that if the 2nd VAC payment was asked once I was over 18, that I would have to pay the full amount. They even signed a document that mentioned all the payments that we needed to make. Does anyone have any experience with a similar situation? I had a friend who had a similar situation and they didn't get told that (unfortunately I don't have their contact to ask them more questions ). 

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of applying visa 143 for my parents and including my sister (who is 19 this year). My parents are both living oversea and my sister is currently studying full time in Australia as international student (fully dependent on my parents financially). Because my parents both live outside of Australia so we are going to apply as offshore application.

My concern is as per form 47PA, under "Who the form covers" it says, "if you are outside Australia and applying for an offshore visa, you cannot include any members of your family unit who are in Australia at the time you lodge your application, as migrating with you in this application". So does it mean, in order to include my sister as migrating with my parents, at the time we lodge the visa, she will need to leave Australia? Does she need to be out of Australia the entire duration of visa application processing or just the time of lodgement  and visa grant?

Can someone shed a light on it?

8 hours ago, Quicksnow said:

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of applying visa 143 for my parents and including my sister (who is 19 this year). My parents are both living oversea and my sister is currently studying full time in Australia as international student (fully dependent on my parents financially). Because my parents both live outside of Australia so we are going to apply as offshore application.

My concern is as per form 47PA, under "Who the form covers" it says, "if you are outside Australia and applying for an offshore visa, you cannot include any members of your family unit who are in Australia at the time you lodge your application, as migrating with you in this application". So does it mean, in order to include my sister as migrating with my parents, at the time we lodge the visa, she will need to leave Australia? Does she need to be out of Australia the entire duration of visa application processing or just the time of lodgement  and visa grant?

Can someone shed a light on it?

I cannot help regarding the being off shore thing, sorry. One thing I think you need to get advice on though is your sister being included. The dependency needs to be shown when the visa is to be granted and not when it’s applied for. Given the fact that queue waiting times are now in excess of 6 years I don’t think your sister could be considered dependent at the age of 25 +

20 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

I cannot help regarding the being off shore thing, sorry. One thing I think you need to get advice on though is your sister being included. The dependency needs to be shown when the visa is to be granted and not when it’s applied for. Given the fact that queue waiting times are now in excess of 6 years I don’t think your sister could be considered dependent at the age of 25 +

Hi Tulip1,

Thanks for the reply,

I'm not aware that the dependency needs to be shown when the visa is granted. I thought it should be included in the visa application? Could you kindly point me to the source of this info?

Thanks heaps!

2 hours ago, Quicksnow said:

Hi Tulip1,

Thanks for the reply,

I'm not aware that the dependency needs to be shown when the visa is granted. I thought it should be included in the visa application? Could you kindly point me to the source of this info?

Thanks heaps!

You are correct, you certainly have to include the dependent in the application. When you get near to the finish line a case officer will deal with the application. That’s when they will ask for medicals, police certificates etc and any other thing they feel they need to make a decision. They will 100% at that time ask for details of dependency. Your sister would have to be ‘wholly or substantially financially dependent on her parents. Her still living in their house for example would not be enough. I’m also sure there is an actual age cut off which I think is 23 unless someone has special needs/disabilities which would make them dependent ongoing. Your sister would be older than 23 by the time you are asked for extra details.  I don’t have the link but you will find it on the migration website.  I just thought I’d mention it as many think as long as the child is dependant when the application is lodged it’s ok whereas they need to be dependent just prior to visas being issued and I cannot see that your sister would.  Many have lodged with a 16/17 year old for example and several years later that child is in employment and the visa is declined because they are not dependent.  Your parents visa wouldn’t be declined but your sisters would. I’d suggest speaking to an agent to get clarification as not only would it be a shame to spend the money to lodge if the outcome was negative but also people’s life’s can be lived around waiting for something that may not happen. Good luck. 

• Like 2

I think this needs to be checked with an agent.  For parent visas the age for payment is fixed at time of application, so no need to pay the full additional fee if they turn 18 by the time of grant.  I would assume therefore that for these family visas that are taking years to grant dependency might also be at time of application. 

12 hours ago, Quicksnow said:

I can't find the official rules, but read through the "scenarios" on this page:

https://www.australiavisa.com/immigration-news/1720-2/

The way it works is that they would include her in their application now, BUT Immigration will check again when their application finally comes up for consideration (which will be in 5 or more years time).  At that time, she must still be financially dependent and under the age limit, and she won't be. 

It is really important to check because some visas have a "one fail, all fail" policy.  I don't know if that applies to parent visas but it would be awful if it did. 

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, rammygirl said:

I think this needs to be checked with an agent.  For parent visas the age for payment is fixed at time of application, so no need to pay the full additional fee if they turn 18 by the time of grant.  I would assume therefore that for these family visas that are taking years to grant dependency might also be at time of application. 

It’s definitely not taken from time of application. A great many on here have confirmed that over time and some have posted they got declined because the once dependant child is now working etc. To be 100% clear on this matter, early this year, I dealt with and paid a well regarded agent who regularly posts on here asking for confirmation on this. Dependency needs to be proven to the case officer just prior to getting visa, not at time of application. So if for example a 21 year old is a full time uni student at time of visa approval ok, if they are working then It wouldn’t be ok. 

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, rammygirl said:

Ok seems very unfair now processing has blown out to 6 years or so though! 

You’re right. I think people applying now need to have a kid no older than about 14 and that’s assuming they go to uni. I’ll be ok thankfully as I applied years ago but wouldn’t if I was applying now with queues as they are.  

Edited by Tulip1

Thanks for the clarification @Tulip1 and @Marisawright Really appreciate it!

20 hours ago, rammygirl said:

Ok seems very unfair now processing has blown out to 6 years or so though! 

I agree @rammygirl it is a disheartening process for anyone to go through..:( Especially when immi keeps us in the dark with very limited info or updates and  there's nothing you can do about it😞 I just got out of my yearssss long battle with my own PR application and now having to deal with this visa matter again I can already feel the the endless frustration coming back 😞

Regardless, I still need to apply this visa for my parents anyway. Wish me luck!

Edited by Quicksnow

Hi, 

Can anyone tell me the correct process to apply for Assurance of Support. On the website it said, it could be done online but when we went to a centrelink center it said that we had to fill out the paper application.  We submitted the application online however the person from the centre said they could view it. We tried to get a hold of the centrelink through calling but the line is always busy. Wouldlreally appreciate if anyone had already done this process can let me know how they did it.