Avalon Beach area to Sydney CBD

Stephen Jones

I haven't found that rome2rio site very accurate.

@Stephen Jones, your best bet is to use Google Maps.   In the "Leave Now/Depart at/Arrive by..."  section, choose "Arrive by" and then select a workday and the time you need to arrive at work.   

I just tried it, and it gave me an answer of 50 minutes to 1 hour 50 minutes.  Obviously that depends on traffic.    At peak hour, I'd expect it to be closer to the 1 hour 50 minutes.  

Roads in Sydney to get very congested at peak hour.  I'm not too familiar with the roads on the North Shore.  However, I lived briefly in Gymea, which is a similar distance to the south.   On the weekend, I could drive into the CBD in about 40 minutes.   In rush hour, it took about 2 hours.  On a couple of occasions, it took me two hours to get as far as Arncliffe, where I parked the car in disgust and took the train the rest of the way. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @StephenJones

travelling to the CBD from Avalon is a fairly long commute, I live a little south of Avalon and have access to the B1 bus service. This runs ever 10 min at peak and goes direct into the CBD with only 5 stops. I would not drive unless I was leaving at 6am as the route is to congested. The B1 service was due to be extended to Newport but for some bizarre reason the local residents objected and it was knocked on the head. So Avalon to the CBD is certainly an acceptable 1 and a half hour commute each way via bus. I get a lot of work done during that time and I always get a seat

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 24/04/2019 at 18:08, Stephen Jones said:

Any idea of the commute to Sydney from Avalon Beach area. What are the roads like? How congested can it get?

Anyone travel this on the forum??

🙂

I do it daily. 

About one hour by car (nearly two hours by bus) - I drive myself

It gets very congested if you leave late (after 7am)

I leave home around 6am every day, and it is still fine then

Alternatively, you could drive to Manly and get the ferry from there.

If you are ratepayer on the Northern Beaches, you get a yearly parking permit, and you can park free all day at Manly

Loads of people do the commute, no dramas at all.

My commute in London was worse.